Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need wiring advice to finish up my build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote areohbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need wiring advice to finish up my build
    Posted: 14 August 2019 at 9:14pm
I am in the US so I am using Goldman 10" drivers for my build. I am in relatively unfamiliar territory when it comes to wiring and circuits.

The thing that is tripping me up is the Goldman speakers have a single prong terminal connector whereas the HP-10's have a dual prong.

Goldman 10 inch Speaker
Do I need to solder the wires leading to the Piezos to the Goldman terminal? Could I put a t-joint before the drivers? Or would that change my circuit?
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 9:21pm
Tell us a bit more about what you're trying to do.

Are you making a boominator, you don't say but the HP10 s are used in that...

Are you using a crossover at all. If so active (before amps) or passive (after amps)
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
areohbe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote areohbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 9:31pm
Yes, I am building a Boominator. I am planning to wire my Piezo tweeters in series with a 47 ohm resistor.

Here's an example:

As you can see, the HP-10 has two prong terminals. That's what tripping me up. I'm pretty certain I could just solder the wire going to the piezo to the single prong? But could I also put a t-split before the Goldman? That's where I am less sure. Feels like it changes the circuit? Or, am I totally off and I need to replace the Goldman terminal or something else?

I think there is a really obvious answer here. So maybe don't try to overthink it. Smile I'm a software person. Hardware is not my strength. I blame my physics.
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 9:59pm
You can join two wires to the single 'prong', or you could make a T split in the wire between amplifier and the HP10, or a T split between the HP10 and the resistor for the piezo. Electrically they are all the same. You might find it easier to see this if you draw the three options out on paper.
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 10:06pm
An easy way to do it would be to use crimp terminals like in the example above. Twist two wires together and then crimp them together. You should get 2 x 1.5mm in a blue insulated crimp if I remember correctly. Then just push the crimp terminal onto the single 'prong'.
areohbe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote areohbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 11:20pm
Thanks imageoven. Just so I am clear, here is a pretty sh*t diagram just to make sure I understand your advice. 

This look correct?

Danielr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2019 at 12:16am
You can also get piggy back connectors. A female spade connector to slide over the speaker connector with a male coming off it to allow you to attach others. 
 Post Reply Post Reply