Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Needing help - Amplifier no longer amplifies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hsimahf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Needing help - Amplifier no longer amplifies
    Posted: 11 September 2018 at 7:39pm
Hi all,

I'm a total newbie here in search of some answers because I've currently hit a bit of a problem with my sound system. I'm not particularly technological but both me and my housemate are stumped as to the issue and wanted to see if there were any ideas before I have to look at opening my amplifier. In short, I moved house (and country) and now upon setting it up in the new place the amplifier is not working properly. my setup is:

- A Rega Brio-R amplifier
- 2 Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers
And I typically use three different inputs (an aux cable for phone/laptop, a Bose Soundtouch wifi/bluetooth adapter, and a turntable) into the amplifier.

I have had the things for about 4 years now and it has always worked perfectly. During that time I have moved quite a lot and packing up / unpacking has never been a problem. About a month ago I moved from the UK to France and for the first time I was not transporting my things myself, instead I was paying a company to take my goods for me (although I packed them). This means it took far longer than taking it myself (the boxes stayed with them for about 4 weeks) and I have very little confidence in how the things were handled, although I did label the box including the sound system as 'fragile' and wrapped everything with bubble wrap, even some pillows in the box for good measure.

After unpacking the stuff in my new house and setting up, the amp doesn't seem to be working. It turns on fine, changes input fine and connects with the speakers so there is no problem with the power or how it appears to function. However, barely any sound comes out.
What does come out is very quiet, sounds quite tinny (no bass at all), only altering volume on the connected device (such as my phone) will impact anything (the volume on the amplifier changes nothing). This is true across all the different kinds of inputs. The sound it makes is comparable to if you had a phone / mp3 plugged into headphones listening on full volume from across the room.

Some other things from what I have tried so far:
- All sound is coming out of both speakers (I used a left-right test audio when I thought the speakers were out of phase)
- Any combination of positive / negative wires has the same effect, no change (also from when I thought they were out of phase)
- I tried my speakers on my housemate's stereo sytem and they work fine so it's not them
- We tried his speakers with my amp and the sound issue persisted
- We also tried his cables with my speaker amp and speakers and the error still occurred so it must be in the amplifier

I have moved from the UK to France so then thought maybe it was to do with voltage. The Rega Brio-R has on the back 230v, 50/60hz which is the power in France. I have tried both directly into (multiple different) wallplugs and in extension cables, no difference, so it isn't a power issue.

The removals company I used have been totally useless and damaged a number of my other things so I have no faith they haven't done the same here. However, it was quite securely wrapped and there's no visible damage (which will limit my ability to make a claim against them). I think I'm coming to terms with the fact that I will need to unscrew it to see what is going on inside but I thought I would post my questions on here first because I really struggled to find another example of a similar scenario online and would welcome any thoughts on what could be the issue or direction to similar discussions / articles. Hopefully we can find a solution or, if I have to open it, I can fix it or at least confirm that they have damaged it to make a claim. Appreciate any and all suggestions!

Thanks in advance
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 8:31pm
Are you 100% sure the speaker are ok and not been dropped ie shifted magnets clamping the cones?
Also, are the input switch's on the amp definitely ok?

Might be a Brexit issue........
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 10:06pm
I'd take the lid off and have a look for any loose connectors. If it's been handled a bit roughly somethings probably worked loose.  

NB; There are very high voltages present in amplifiers even when turned off, be careful!
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 10:38pm
Sorry, my bad- didn't see the 'his speakers' bit ....
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
 Post Reply Post Reply