Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 12" tops - advice wanted.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 12" tops - advice wanted.
    Posted: 14 March 2022 at 9:16pm
Im after some new passive 12"+hf bass reflex tops in the next month. 

What would you choose and why?
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2022 at 10:47pm
Why passive? Slim pickings these days.

Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2022 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

Im after some new passive 12"+hf bass reflex tops in the next month. 

What would you choose and why?

By tops, do you mean they will be used with something substantial underneath?
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 6:24am
New, or second hand? What sort of budget?

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 9:04am
I am currently busy with a compact 12" top using 12NDL88 and HF146+ME90. Passive crossover is in the works.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 1:31pm
"Why passive? Slim pickings these days."

Yes, true, but some of the classic old passive cabs can still hold their own against some of the modern stuff with terrible Class D amps and too much processing!  Smile

I still love the old SX200/300 or the JBL Eon 15 G2. I stuck a couple of those in a small bar/club here that had weekly (rock/punk) gigs and were struggling to find something compact to fight against those guitar hero types with their stacks of 4 x 12's, or over-enthusiastic drummers, etc.  LOL

The JBL's worked a treat. No problem.

And I have some DAS 12's that I rescued from a bar. The 12" drivers were pretty knackered so I stuck in some P-Audio SN-12B's. They really sound great and have very good/well designed xovers that makes all the difference.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

"Why passive? Slim pickings these days."

Yes, true, but some of the classic old passive cabs can still hold their own against some of the modern stuff with terrible Class D amps and too much processing!  Smile

I still love the old SX200/300 or the JBL Eon 15 G2. I stuck a couple of those in a small bar/club here that had weekly (rock/punk) gigs and were struggling to find something compact to fight against those guitar hero types with their stacks of 4 x 12's, or over-enthusiastic drummers, etc.  LOL

The JBL's worked a treat. No problem.

And I have some DAS 12's that I rescued from a bar. The 12" drivers were pretty knackered so I stuck in some P-Audio SN-12B's. They really sound great and have very good/well designed xovers that makes all the difference.

All a dat. SX300s can really shine. Probably my favourite plastic cab. I used to install the DAS DS12s and DS15s a lot in GYM dance studios about 20 years ago. Stick around 400w behind them and they can thump for not much cash. The smaller Factor models sounded good too, but didn't like a good hammering as much.

https://eaw.com/products/vfr129i/

I quite like a Tannoy DC too, but I think their site is down. Have a look at the VX12

Edited by Lucasdude - 15 March 2022 at 2:05pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 5:14pm
Yes, it's the DS-12 I have - altho'  as I say with "upgraded" 12. The old P-Audio SN range are "la hostia", as they say here. Yet to burn one out.

And, yes Tannoy. Love the Gold range. Classics.   Heart

I have some T-12's that I also upgraded with the V12 driver. Lovely - altho'  never used outside my bedroom!!   LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 5:44pm
Celestion CXi1221 was another great box. Nigel @Lean Business would love to move some of the components for those on, so if you fancy knocking up a few simple boxes I would think you could get a great sound for not much!
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 7:05pm
I'm another big fan of the DAS DS12.

As "Earplug" has said, the passive crossovers in them are really good.

Very smooth sounding, relatively lightweight box.
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 7:51pm
Martin Audio F12 fan here for a passive 12" + horn. Had a set over S218's and it made me smile a lot

JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 11:36pm
Why passive? 

Because Im already set up for it. 

Budget is basically whatever it has to be to get a more hi fi sound than what Im using. Dont want to spend more than I have to, but dont want to be disappointed by something that isnt a significant step up. 

Happy to build something im principle, the 18sound plans look good but no-one seems to have heard them to give any feedback, or something like speaker sol's bms top from 2018. Once you add wood, paint, drivers and grilles Im not sure how economic it is compared with buying though.

But everyone kept saying second hand pro gear was sensible money so i thought id ask. Dont even mind buying new if the cost / performance hits the right spot. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>