Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 15" Ported Horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 15" Ported Horn
    Posted: 19 April 2008 at 8:50pm
Hiya,

Rather than hijacking Jakes thread I thought I'd better start my own for this.

Here is the one and only pic I have so far for the cab myself and Owain (odc02r) built yesterday.  The design is something I've been knocking around for a while and I was prompted by the discussion on ported horns to get on with it.

It's designed to be a compromise between Punishers and HD15's which were what Owain was running.  Basically it's meant to be a one box bass solution.

Design is very simple, driver is in back right corner facing the back of the box.  No clever throat arrangement or anything.  Driver is an RCF L15P300 because that's what was in the HD15's!

Initial testing (full range from workshop hi-fi) says there's a lot of something going on in the bass region but the acoustics of the garage makes it hard to tell.  Seems very kicky anyway so I'm hoping for good things.  Aim is to build another three fairly soon.

Edited by ceharden - 19 April 2008 at 11:43pm
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2008 at 11:24pm
I dont see any picture??????????
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2008 at 11:30pm
Internet issues at Chris's end, it will show up sometime soon Smile

I'm looking forward to giving the box 500w and seeing what it can do then when its had its final bracing and finishing completed. Sounded promising and the RCF drivers are a good match to the design.

Anyone want to buy 4 unloaded HDs that need a bit of TLC!

Edited by odc04r - 19 April 2008 at 11:31pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2008 at 11:41pm
Yes, as Owain says it's internet issues.  Very convenient hosting from home but requires a reliable internet connection which I don't have at the moment.  I'm moving some of my pics to different webspace so should be visible very soon.....

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 5:15am
Did you do any plots of the design before building them?

Also, your connection is now subject to Tiscali's whim, Pipex staff are instructed not to tell you this unless you explicitly ask mind. Would be well worth finding an alternative as soon as possible.
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 7:06am
pics!
www.imageshack.us

Edit : I can see it now! nice

Edited by tb_mike - 20 April 2008 at 7:08am
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 10:51am
I did some simulations with Hornresp, still a certain amount of guesswork involved tho!

The horn is about a metre long with a medium sized front chamber (I think) ~10L, the rear chamber is quite large, around 120L and port tuning is in the region of 40Hz, again I think!

I could have probably designed a more compact box but the design criteria was mainly for a one box bass solution and to get the most out of the drivers.

Unfortunately rain stopped play yesterday and I'm working today so building the other three is going to have to wait a bit......

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 12:48pm
Very nice Chris, look's allot like the XXL

have you used wadding?
whats the dimensions?
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 4:19pm

Your design sounds workable.

How deep is it?

I am guessing the mouth is about 24" x 24" and the overall width about 32"?

I bumped the front chamber from 2L to 10L in my vented LaScala design in HornResp and it looked pretty good (with a K43E woofer), I got 102dB/2.83V at 45hz (1dB more than the single Lab 12 model I have, and less power going in due to the higher impedance)!

I thought the added volume in the front chamber would kill some of the 'kick' area, but it didn't, 350hz picked up about 3dB, 200hz about 1.5dB, and the 45hz region even picked up about 1dB!

Edited by _djk_ - 20 April 2008 at 4:26pm
djk
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 10:35pm
Clap

Nice stuff Chris! if i wasnt so slack i'd have mine done by now!
are you going to take any plots?

The thing im most interested in is how close the actuall tuning is to what hornresp recons it'll be.

Good stuff! well done

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 1:04am
Ok, quick answers to questions:

Overall dimensions are 580x800 on the front and 700 deep so quite large really.  If it were to be used with subs underneath you could probably make it smaller.

I will get some measurements done but probably not til I've built at least another one.

I'm going to try and get some time on a bench saw to cut the rest up, takes forever doing it all with a handheld circular saw.

If you're interested the wood is 7 ply Brazilian from B&Q which is currently on offer, 5 sheets for £125.  It's not the best but we decided it was a good compromise between MDF (yuk!) and Birch (too fecking pricey for experiments).

Once I've sorted my internet issues out and I've got my webserver back online I'll probably post some diagrams of the design and simulations for you.

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 9:39am
I like the idea of getting it cut on a bench saw Smile Could screw another cab together in 3-4 hours then. Really looking forward to putting 2000w into 4 of them and seeing what falls off the walls first.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>