Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 15" Ported Horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 8:05am
Great build Ceharden!
What driver do you use? Why do you put 2 little pieces of wood in the middle of the last 2 panels of the horn? One is tagged CE...... Could be braces?
Could you post a frequency graph, please?
Hi_Varu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hi_Varu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 9:53am
nice..
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 11:14am
The driver is an RCF L15P300 and the bits of wood on the inside of the flare are indeed bracing.

The wood is quite cheap and not the strongest, also some is a bit warped so it needs a bit more bracing than if I was building from birch.  Mouth braces are the next job....

I haven't done a frequency response plot yet, that will probably have to wait til the Speakerplans shootout.  I could post the simulated response I guess...

Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 11:49am
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Mouth braces are the next job...

Was gonna say
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 11:57am
Want to give the inside a wipe around with black paint before putting the mouth brace in.  PITA to paint afterwards.
bitzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 12:52pm
Simulated response is good and could be interesting facing the simulation with the real response ;)
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 2:42pm
Good stuff!

I have only just read the last part of this, my prototype should be ready tonight, then some testing over the weekend!

I may tune mine around 40 instead of 35 now... i have been thinking about it.....

how big is your port? (if you dont mind me asking!) i mean whats the cross sectional area, and can you hear any unwanted port noise? thats my concern as i have redesigned mine with a smaller port but the same tuning, for ease of building and so that "tweaking" the tuning afterwards is eaisier.

Jake
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 2:55pm
Hi there!

My port is the width of the cab, so 55cm by I think it's about 7.5cm and 30cm long.  I haven't heard any unwanted noise from the port, but I wouldn't expect to as it is quite large.

I still haven't taken the cabs out to any gigs!

Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 3:00pm
yes that is rather a whopper of a port!

my rear chamber is pretty small on my cab, so to get to the tuning i want i either need a small port which could have unwanted noise or a really long port, but theres not enough space with out using us loads of rear chamber space, and then it would need to be longer etc...

I suppose thats what prototypes are for ay?

Cheers for details, do you plan to use any eq? or use as is.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 3:16pm
Well without EQ it's pretty flat from 45-200Hz so none required probably!

My rear chamber is nearly 100L
philipbeyma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipbeyma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 4:59pm
very nice job keep going
mhtplsh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhtplsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 4:04pm
How about using 18" driver.
it looks of similar principle like wbin?
How about the long throw?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>