Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 4 channel amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2018 at 10:38am
So pretty honest looking!

I don't think anyone was expecting 2 Ohm sub performance from something at this price, but good to see the current limiting cutting in to do what it was designed to do.

Overall, looks like a winner, as long as you are not expecting direct comparison to PowerSoft! For the money, worth a punt!
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2018 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

So pretty honest looking!

I don't think anyone was expecting 2 Ohm sub performance from something at this price, but good to see the current limiting cutting in to do what it was designed to do.

Overall, looks like a winner, as long as you are not expecting direct comparison to PowerSoft! For the money, worth a punt!

The current limited isn't 'automatic' and seamlessly smooth AGC like the PKN for example - its more a case of if you exceed the maximum power, the amp will auto mute for 2 seconds and re-boot PSU. Basically it's a crude way of protecting the amp, and the trick is to have compressor/limiter on your LMS to keep the amp just under this cut off point. This point is at over-drive, well into clipping the amp, so you don't really want to be there anyway.

just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
RiddimKid View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RiddimKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 3:12pm
My Q7 is still available if anybody is interested Thumbs Up
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 7:39pm
PM sent
It's everything, not everythink!
Fuegorecords View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuegorecords Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2018 at 1:26pm
Hey RiddimKid, I cant message you for some reason. I am very interested in the amplifier if you still have it for sale, can you drop me a message or an email at fuegorecordsuk@gmail.com or send me your email?

Thank you!
-Jad
RiddimKid View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RiddimKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2018 at 3:03pm
Sorry sold now 
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 9:58am
Just a little review of the Q7 on mid-high for anyone that's interested in this amp. 

Just used it to power 8pe21 and DE250 for my xtro punisher system for 3 gigs, in 3 nights last weekend. Previously we used a QSC PLX2402 and 1602. 

The exterior of the amp seems surprisingly well built, the front panel is metal, very little plastic on it. None of the panels feel thin or flimsy. Didn't open the amp up, but honestly, I don't care what's happening inside as long as it works in the real world. 

The amp is very sensitive, so much so that the lowest power you can limit it to with a DCX2496 is 300 watts at 8 ohms (Limiter set to -24 db). I measured the output and it pretty much exactly matches the 38db voltage gain in the specs. To solve the high sensitivity I attenuated the pots until they were low enough for me to limit to 100 watts at 8 ohm, low enough to keep the DE250s alive. The pots were not the same, they ended up in slightly different locations to achieve the same output. I just used white out to mark the spot.

This approach seemed to work, we brushed limiters on one of the shows and the comps are fine. Interestingly, even running the comps at full tilt, there wasn't enough signal to trigger the 'signal' LEDs, if we didn't have speakers plugged in, there would be no way to know if the amp was receiving a signal. 

Sound wise, I have no issues with it, I ABed it on some HIFI speakers (Dali Zensor 3 if you care) and I couldn't tell the difference between it and a PLX2402. There didn't seem to be any obvious difference running the Mid-Highs of the sound system either. Im told they can get a little messy when you run them hard but the most we ran it to was 600 watt per channel @4ohm in to the 8PE21s, leaving a lot of headroom. 

Overall, I'm super happy with the amp, turned 4u of PLX in to 1u, sounds fine, no signs of reliability issues so far, good value for money when you consider how much other 4 channel 1u amps cost. The only issue I have with it, is the high input sensitivity, currently in the market for a new DSP which should solve that.  

Hope my REAL WORLD review was helpful to someone at least, it can be tricky getting feedback on products like this. 

Edited by citizensc - 02 February 2019 at 1:54pm
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 1:24pm
Get a DI box to attenuate the input signal.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Just baught a linea asc48, hopefully that sorts it. 
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by citizensc citizensc wrote:

Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Just baught a linea asc48, hopefully that sorts it. 

Thats a cheap way to sort it :-)
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Marko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 4:25pm
You can use unbalanced connection and you will lose 6 dB and then you have 32 dB amp gain as standard. Make short XLR cable with pin 3 tied to ground on male connector. And don't forget to use it all the timeLOL
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Marko Marko wrote:

You can use unbalanced connection and you will lose 6 dB and then you have 32 dB amp gain as standard. Make short XLR cable with pin 3 tied to ground on male connector. And don't forget to use it all the timeLOL

Er no. The amp will still have the same amount of voltage gain, you’ll just be driving it less hard.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>