Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Bose F1 System

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2015 at 10:45am
I have been doing a lot of googling on these gimmicky systems lately, however I have only found one producer ( carvin) who actaully compare their own column line array thing with one of their own conventional cabs taking a long a measurement device , and apparently the column behaves better than its larger sibling.

Whether you hate bose or not, the 802 where popular and I doubt in the application for which they where created, not many people would be moaning about not high/low enough.

Shame with reference to the f1 it's not scalable, that's a four grand all or nothing pa isn't it.

Kev
LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2015 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Originally posted by Seehnav Seehnav wrote:

Hello,

What do you guys think of the new Bose F1 system? 
Please leave the " Buy Other Sound Equipment " and all other nice Quote's behind.

Why? This Bose still system doesn't deserve any more respect. This is yet another "me too" product for those that are..
1) Complete suckers for everything Bose.
2) Want a new line array type system because it's what all cool bands/DJs must have.

As
usual this system is all too easy to pick apart. The low hanging fruit
as usual is the beyond pathetic "sub" module.. a dual 10" reflex loaded
box with 1000w on hand  that we're supposed to believe achieves 130db.
Interestingly the QSC K12 a dual 12" bandpass design can't actually do
that (the spec sheet say it does but they also say it's just a
calculated maximum), so again Bose is full of shite.
Then there is
the array, eight 2.25" fullrange drivers that somehow manage to match(SPL)
what it takes 24 drivers to do in the L1 system? Just hold on a minute
while I fall down on the floor laughing...

OK that done, line
array science says the SPL generated for a curved array won't be the
same as for a straight array.. all else being equal which it is in this
case, because instead of pushing all that energy straight forward it's being dispersed into a much larger sound field. So again that max SPL spec is that for the straight config or one of the curved configs? And what about that horizontal coverage.. how well does that work when the lower/upper drivers are pulled back into a curve and shrowded by the side panels? And at what frequencies do you get that coverage. Bose would have you believe at all frequencies but line array science says otherwise, but these are facts.. we wouldn't want those to get in the way of a good ass raping would we.

Will the system do what it says...yeah
sure it'll do something like that at moderate acoustic lounge levels but no way no how
is this a rock band PA system.. maybe if you buy $30k worth and pile it
all up but what kind of idiot does that?

More garbage with no research...

I am NOT a BOSE fanboy at all but some of the stuff you have said simply shows your ignorance and that you just want to bash the product.

Firstly a HUGE number of manufacturers boast calculated maximum spls with no real reference to power or frequency.

Secondly, how do you know at all that the sub can't make a peak somehow at 130db. If that is at its claimed 1000w output it would need to do 100db at 1w. In a two driver cabinet in half space (sitting on the floor) this is not impossible at all. Most manufacturers also use whatever is the most efficient frequency and 100db at say 100hz is within its bandwidth. I will also point out that peak may be 2000w or some number like that which takes 3db off. 97dbwm sensitivity is very normal.

Thirdly, comparing the line of 2" drivers to the line of bigger AND waveguide loaded drivers with more power in the F1 is apples and oranges. The array in the F1 is only ised above 600hz meaning very low excursion requirements. The L1 use the tiny drivers down to 180hz and as such require longer voicecoils etc and lower resonant frequency. If you knew much about how a loudspeaker driver is designed, you would know this drops overall speaker efficiency. It is therefore absolutely easy to expect different output capability.

Just because this system can't handle a rock concert doesn't mean anything at all. Please point out a 4 box system of the same size and weight that will do just that?

The system like all BOSE products is surely overpriced, but it's different, will retain its value, is small and light, and people who don't know much will appreciate the brand. For smaller gigs for a small band/dj it is a decent premium system.

There is also the arguable point that compression drivers don't always sound great and it is possible the lack of a crossover in most of the vocal region may be quite beneficial. I would also guess the off axis response will be pretty even compared to your average 12 and horn on a pole (which is the most relevant comparison) as quite a lot of those have crossover point close to the woofers beaming issues and not to mention upper mid breakup of a 12" cone.

I think it's worth a listen in the hands of a competent operator before you highlight your lack of understanding in loudspeaker design and 'roll around on the floor laughing '
Speaker addict
GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2015 at 10:04am
Heard it yesterday at BPM, it didn't sound very nice to my ears, certainly when you compare what half or even a 3rd of the money buys you. But thats just my ears comparing it side by side to many other systems of similar scale.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123