Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Mid-Top *in progress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote young poon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2005 at 8:12am

well I love it.

I feel so bad that you show your design on here and most people just try to rip it appart and find the bad in it.

Just do it and don't tell no one. If you did this around here you would be loved by everyone.

Don't you just love the smell of complacency in the morning.

poon

Edited by young poon
young, gay, proud and into speakers
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2005 at 8:24am

Quote I know someone has already said about the 'empty space' in the cab, but would it not make sense to make the cab trapezoid (?) in shape?, so that if you have 2 per side you can angle the mid-hi cabs to gain a wider dispersion.

Yes it would:

Quote Due to “unused” space in cabinet it can be “fixed” a bit by making trapezoidal cabinet (I have this version in papers but it is not important at this stage). Cabinet is same dimension as my bass cabinets to make stacking more flexible (same approach used by HK, Dynacord.. etc..)

Quote I feel so bad that you show your design on here and most people just try to rip it apart and find the bad in it.

Most times there is just a small line between ripping something apart and pointing out the weakpoints of a design.

It takes a matter of time to see who's doing what. Aren't you a little to quick in your judgments, or am I?

Cheers

Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2005 at 9:00am
Young poon, taking that you are too stupid to guage what a well adapted post or avatar description on the squatjuice forum is, I suggest you stop trolling. If I post a design I am only too happy if people point out possible weaknesses (and this has thankfully always been the case) and I am sure Staiper is more than mature enough to gauge comments and make useful use of them. All engineering issues in general revolve around compromizes.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2005 at 9:13am

Hmm that first sentence remindes me of Gandalf

freddyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2005 at 11:18am
gentlemen - Staiper does cool stuff - as "diversion", critique this lovely 2-way cab bult by an internet buddy: http://home.earthlink.net/~buddhaboy2/X.jpg
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2005 at 1:09pm

@ freddyi: Argh, Karlsson again.... :)  I guess this design has some mids missing (Well, not in theory, but...).

@ Young poon: Timber is right. Noone here is ripping the design apart. Everybody in here is HELPING staiper with their thoughts about the design. Nobody is perfect. What seems to be a really good idea to the one, might be a horrible idea to another.

As I said, I think the reflectioons will be 'evil' and the HF driver won't be loaded enough to reach the frequency where the 10"s will play good to. But I could be wrong. That's the thing about a forum, EXCHANGE!

djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2005 at 2:10pm

Just a quick note for mobiele eenheid, I'm not trying to rip apart the idea of the cab and I'm not being negative. I was just giving my ideas to Staiper, I think the idea for the cab is excellent. Several times I've built something, whether it be a speaker cab or a mixer, and once the idea is presented someone will always say 'ah, shouldn't you have done this or that before finishing it'. So if Staiper has the original idea and takes on board what everyone has to offer or not, surely the end result would be better? So therefore I think you are being a little quick in your judgements, only a tiny little bit though!

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2005 at 4:31pm

Quote Just a quick note for mobiele eenheid
Hmmz...I am not sure if I am understanding what you say completely.

As I can read from your post it seems to me that you agree with what I say. But you're writing your post like you're offended or something.

So could you explain a little bit better what it is, that you're disagreeing with?

As I was saying there is a small difference between being negative about a design or pointing out possible weakpoints either in design or knowledge. It's just all about the persons intension. That's a little bit hard to see on the web. Especially if you don't know a person either face to face or on the web.

My guess is young poon doesn't know the people reacting well enough to know about their intensions. Because I believe most reactions look negative but are well ment.

My intension was interest in Staipers design and asking him in my own way how far his knowledge goes. This way it would be easy for me to see if he could benefit from my knowledge or not. To this point that's still unclear to me.

I know my designs would have benefit greatly from my knowledge as it is now. To bad that's exactly the way I got in the first place.

By the way: I've never mentioned you by my knowledge or actually judged anyone in a wrong way, so why your reaction?

Mvg Johan

Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2005 at 4:39pm
Yup, actually (as has been seen in the unity, EAW and Renkus-Reinz products) this arrangement desirable for a number of reasons. The only concern is how the HF driver will interact with the mid-throat in this arrangement, but that one can never really know before not having litened to the box by oneself.
young poon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote young poon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2005 at 7:00pm

*Timber*

still didn't answer my question. Why would addding a port lose effeiciency.

Take a sealed box with speaker in it. Add a horn to front of speaker. You now have a bandpass gain from fo to upper cutoff. Say fo is 140 Hz like in Staipers design.

Now take the horn off and port the box. fb of 60 Hz. Are you telling me that frequencies above 140 Hz are going to be quiter from the cone now there is a reflex port added. Yes, cone movemet will be reduced at and around fb and the port cannot add the same gain as the horn, but we are asking the port to reproduce a single frequency just over one octave below the cutoff of the horn. So if we now add the horn to the front of the speaker again why will 140 Hz to upper cutoff have lost effeiciency. If the port was working within the horns passband then yes it would have to match the horns gain, but this is not the case in this design.

Granted trasient response will not be as good, but try telling the above to Altec with their L-F series horns, model numbers 210, 211, 410 and 825.

Poon

Edited by young poon
young, gay, proud and into speakers
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2005 at 2:37am
Read up on elementary horn theory (esp. Leach, on the specification of ....). Keyword: reactance anulling and the basic functioning of a horn.
staiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote staiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2005 at 7:17am
 Hi to everybody,

To make things clear.. Design is posted on forum to discus its bad or (eventually J ) good aspects.  I am do not finding myself offended by any comment. So.. as I say all comments are welcome (including negative ones) ;)

This is just preliminary idea and I am planning to make first prototype like posted one then measure it and then play a bit with different HF flare extensions and center wedges and measure it again…

For example;

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>