Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Stasys 'Phil'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Louder than loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 1:07am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

well, i think anyone expecting a box of that size being light enough for stacking yourself is going to be waiting around a while yet - although Skytec seem to have cracked it somehow...

^ JBL SRX725 ^

Cant wait to hear these tho and am sure that there sound as good as they look :) 

maybe a little demo nye chris ;)
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 1:11am
well, the rate im going, i might be quicker just asking them for everything in the warehouse.
Louder than loud View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louder than loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 1:15am
You brought MORE !! ?
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 11:45am
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

Perhaps it's to appeal to the American market.
In that case why didn't they call it the 'VOID Tea Party Special'?
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
cilla.scope View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Legs all the way to her bottom....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cilla.scope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Looks like it was knocked up in a hurry from spare parts to fill a gap in the range.  Who actually uses boxes like this nowadays.  Used to see them as one piece drum fills but now you just use one of the same wedges with a sub.

yes, but ages ago, a 2x12" +1" was about the right sort of SPL for a monitor, or a small pub gig ... nowadays with Neo drivers, you can get crowd pleasing levels out of the neo equipped versions ... a box that size could take 2kw + with the right drivers ...

the world is changing and Neo drivers mean you cannot assume what was previously a "monitor sized box" has monitor performance any more ...
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker.
Well, she's not exactly my girlfriend yet ...
Plaguesguitarist View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plaguesguitarist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 8:59pm
Drum fill - drum Phil?
Phil - Fill?

Possibly why the name.  Regularly use a 2x12 +1.5" as main mid tops in a pa. 300w:16ohms. Loud as hell. HIQ audio specials. Very efficient on Ass subs.
Why did the lampy cross the road?

To steal MY sharpie.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 9:36pm
My main system is a 2x12"+1.4 and I have single 15"+1.4" wedges/multipurpose boxes.  But I wouldn't want to use a 2x15" for FOH duties without a dedicated midrange.
iand4403 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iand4403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 10:12pm

My main system is a 2x12"+1.4 and I have single 15"+1.4" wedges/multipurpose boxes.  But I wouldn't want to use a 2x15" for FOH duties without a dedicated midrange.

Off topic: What components do you use in your 15" + 1.4" boxes?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 11:08pm

Surely that depends on the properties of the 15" driver though?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 1:01am
In answer to the first question: B&C 15NW76 with 18Sound ND1424BT on XR1464 flare.  Passive crossover based on the 18Sound 15" mid-top reference design.

One of the problems with using a 2x15" or even 2x12" is the distance between the sound sources, particularly the lower 15" and the horn.  In my 2x12" boxes I've squashed everything up as much as possible but it's still not ideal.  The 15" driver choice for a 2x15"+1.4/2" is a tricky one.  For such a large box you really want to make it full range to be useful, however that requires a heavier 15" which won't have as nice a midrange.  If you go with a light 15" and sacrifice the low end, you might as well use 12" drivers and make the box much smaller.  The EV/Shuttlesound Motivators tried to get around this by using two different 15" drivers, a heavy coned Gauss to do predominantly the lower end and a much lighter EV Proline driver with a better midrange.  However the Proline was so much more efficient, the Gauss didn't really do that much in comparison.

Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 6:45am
A 2x *any size* plus horn box, where the horn isn't between the two woofers, should be running a 2.5 way crossover so that only the driver closest to the horn is operating at the horn crossover point...
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2019 at 5:28pm

Apparently Phil uses the same horn as above.

Anyone have Void part number, or know where to locate these?
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>