Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New sub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everdark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 8:29am
that's it. I have a ground system that meet my needs perfectly. so if I even wanted to build something, only that works from 60 hz at least in order to have no subs at all in some applications
music is the only language I really know
MusicXtra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MusicXtra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2009 at 1:57am
Originally posted by everdark everdark wrote:

that's it. I have a ground system that meet my needs perfectly. so if I even wanted to build something, only that works from 60 hz at least in order to have no subs at all in some applications

If you want to build a line-array than you need up to 10 cabinets per side to let it work under 100 Hz.
The length of the array must be as long as half the wavelength of the lowest frequenty, below this frequenty the low drivers wil work as separate drivers without the coupling so the throw will be the same as for front loaded conventionel cabinets for this frequenty's.
For the range 60-150Hz some systems use extra sub cabinets in the array, for me this is not an option because of the height of the total array. Next project, after finishing my new subs I want to improve the lower frequenties of my line array, I think that I make a miscalculation with the port tuning.
MusicXtra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MusicXtra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2009 at 11:06pm
Here's a picture from the first cabinet in birch plywood.
The sound is amazing, from below 30 Hz it gives serious pressure.
I start to build 4 subs and this is the first so far.

DjMidKnight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjMidKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 1:09am
looks nice man, quite compact i dig it.
wafflesomd View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wafflesomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 3:29am
Ok now it's an SB1000.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 8:24am
SB1000 has front chamber not even reaching to the middle of the cab. Correct me if i'm wrong but this has a front chamber extending all the way to the back panel.
Best regards,
Teun.
MusicXtra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MusicXtra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 10:45am
Originally posted by wafflesomd wafflesomd wrote:

Ok now it's an SB1000.

So in your opinion every trapezium basreflex is an SB850 and every self powered speaker is a Meyer UPA?

wafflesomd View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wafflesomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 2:02am
Originally posted by MusicXtra MusicXtra wrote:

Ok now it's an SB1000.

So in your opinion every trapezium basreflex is an SB850 and every self powered speaker is a Meyer UPA?

Uh, no.  Every speaker that is a trapezium bassreflex that is basically a copy of the sb1000 is essentially an sb1000.  

It's just a reflex. 

Originally posted by Teunos Teunos wrote:

SB1000 has front chamber not even reaching to the middle of the cab. Correct me if i'm wrong but this has a front chamber extending all the way to the back panel.

Ok, they're both still reflexes.  Nothing special.

Edited by wafflesomd - 08 October 2009 at 2:03am
Carl P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 2:43am
it looks like an air munchin alien robot................COOL
MusicXtra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MusicXtra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 2:58pm

Originally posted by MusicXtra MusicXtra wrote:

Ok now it's an SB1000.

Uh, no.  Every speaker that is a trapezium bassreflex that is basically a copy of the sb1000 is essentially an sb1000.  

It's just a reflex. 

Originally posted by Teunos Teunos wrote:

Ok, they're both still reflexes.  Nothing special.

The lenght, depth, hight, shape, number of ports, diameter and length of the ports, speaker angle, type of speaker are a few things that are different from the SB1000.
So in my opinion it is a total different design.Big smile
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 3:56pm

good work, bet it goes low and has decent distortion specs.

waffles - i think musicxtra's probably a bit thrown by your comment cos he's clearly put a lot of work into tuning a design that's not that simple to simulate. if you dismissed every dual reflex design as just being the same as another there would be very few speaker designs about ;)

most designs, whether they're speakers or whatever else, are re-hashes of older designs with tweaks made depending on which factors the designer values most highly. similarly, the SB1000 wasn't the first of it's kind.
Progrezz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progrezz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 4:33pm
Why does everyone on this forum look down on bass reflex cabs? As far as sound goes, a BR is still the only way to go. Look at Meyer, L'Acoustics, EAW, ... Every sub in a live situation you'll see is a BR. Horns are only suitable for certain types of dance music and people only use it because of the high sensitivity and throw. But if you look at the Meyer 700-hp for instance, which in waffles oppinion is nothing more than a pain-ass reflex cab and hell it is, but those things sound mighty-fine, have a sensitivity of 110db, go awefully deep and throw pretty damn far. It's just one of the reasons why brands like Meyer and Eaw are still in business.

Btw; the SB1000z and especially the sb1002 is one hell of a subwoofer too. If MusicXtra's design is anything like that, which it looks like it is, it's going to sound even better when using 4 or more subwoofers next to each other and the sensitivity and throw should go up too.

I've used them with the kf730 line array. Put all the subs in front of the stage, all next to each other in the middle. Works pretty well if you have a long room.

Anyway, looks like a nice cab. I'd love to hear it play ;)

Edited by Progrezz - 08 October 2009 at 4:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>