Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to me cabs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DieselDood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to me cabs
    Posted: 06 July 2017 at 9:32pm
Hey Folks!

I obtained some new to me cabs.  It's a full speaker rig from a band.  I'm the 3rd owner, so finding info from the original person is difficult at best.  Originally they were powered by Crown 2000 series amps.  I have 2 Crown XLS402 amps.  I powered them up and ran them a bit, but not hard.  There is no built in Crossover, as I can hear lows in the tops and highs in the subs.

They are home built but seem to be built well.  I've done some research on them and all I can find is that the subs are a Punisher type design.  The tops and monitors I haven't found a design like them.

What should I set a crossover and EQ to?  I've been told that this is very important with this style cab.

There are access panels to gain access to the speakers, but I haven't pulled them to see if there is any markings on the speakers.  

The Tops are 24"x24".  The subs are 24"x48".  The monitors are 19"x22".

I'm going to try to attach a few pictures of them here for your viewing pleasure.  
One of the Tops

One of the Subs

Monitor

Thanks!

Edited by DieselDood - 06 July 2017 at 9:33pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 9:54pm
Tops are dr200
sn95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sn95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 10:00pm
Sub looks like t48 or t39 BFM.
alglw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alglw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 10:23pm
Cabs are Bill Fitzmaurice (BFM).

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/
DieselDood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DieselDood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 10:28pm
Thank you very much!  That's the exact info I needed!

It always amazes me how much information is out on the internet that is difficult to find when you don't know how to look for it!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DieselDood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 4:00pm
Do you guys know where they may have  purchased the tweeters?  

Sorry for what may be basic questions.  

It seems as though these are loaded with lower powered speakers, such as are eluded to on http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/DR250.html

That does explain why when I had the amp in Bridged mode and turned them up a bit and they started to distort.  I thought it was due to no crossover.  It still will have some bearing... but not to the extent I'm concerned with.  

Basically... I'll probably run them as-is for a while, but I plan to reload the cabinets with stronger speakers so I can get more volume out of them.  Obviously if I crank up the power, the tweeters will have to either be bi-amped (which probably wouldn't have enough strength) or replaced with better units.

Or should I run them as-is and start over?

Thanks guys!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 4:55pm
The tweeters are just an array if piezos bolted on.. you won't get much change "upgrading" them... also you says there's no crossover. You mean passive within the speaker or active with your amps? The tops will distort if your not running a high pass... wen they try to play bass they distort quickly. Try running a 80hz high pass and playing the same track again and see if this gets you a touch more volume and less distortion.

I think most people that build those boxes have a buffer and cap inline with the tweeters to remove bass and tone them down a little.

Tell us exactly how your using them and we'll help to correct it to get the best sound you can

Edit... didn't read properly.. your gonna need an active crossover my friend!!

Edited by mini-mad - 07 July 2017 at 4:57pm
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DieselDood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 5:01pm
There is no passive crossover within the cab and when I did the quick sound test in my garage, I was unfortunatly running raw sound.  My DBX DriverackPX power transformer died, so I'm not doing anything with them till I get that fixed.

I'll have to dig a bit deeper and see if I can find the buffer and cap.  I couldn't see them in what I've looked at so far.

I plan to use them for DJ work primarily... possibly a band down the road when I get all the necessary equipment and knowledge to run them that way.

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply