Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

newb question- mid/top for x1?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boycey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2007 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Andrew Andrew wrote:

I've used the MT102 above dual 15" Reflex cabinets, the MT102 certaintly throw well.  Have not yet built any X1, but need to, in order to reproduce a nice 30Hz fundamental.

cool- have just checked proaudioparts and the recomended drivers aren't available... what did you use/where did you get 'em?
the only thing more dangerous than a person who doesn't give a f**k is a person who gives a sh*t.
Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2007 at 3:00pm

The P Audio Neo 10" driver and the recommended horn, non neo.  Drivers give a decent weight saving when going neo, but the CD horns are much more expensive with only a little weight saving.  The MT102 is still a big cab.  Where are you based?

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2007 at 5:36pm
Design is one of mine.  Obviously not as much kick as a kick horn but pretty good for a reflex.
boycey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boycey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2007 at 3:11pm
andrew- i'm in norf london

ceharden- would be interested to see the crossover chart type thing. i'm gonna build the standard reflex cab a la winisd for a wider frequency range cab and the possibility of a hireout that would pay for the wood sharpish  but like i say i am interested in the design- i guess it's a kick cab that could be used in a smaller space than usb/hd15 type things.
the only thing more dangerous than a person who doesn't give a f**k is a person who gives a sh*t.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2007 at 3:34pm
Boycey,

Sorry, might have misslead you with the 45-200Hz spec.  That was just an idea of what range you would normally use it over. Any twin 15" reflex is going to be similar.  It is pretty much a standard reflex cabinet, the main benefit of having the drivers at 90deg is that the cab is shorter and it's stiffer by not having so many parallel panels.  The fact that you gain maybe 1-2dB by having a bit of a front chamber is an added bonus.

You can obviously go for any design you like but I thought I'd show you mine cos I know it works well for the job you want it for.

Would still be interested to model the BW's in it if you can post the specs...

boycey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boycey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 12:36pm

the cone is the 1508 sps- i can't find the specs, but will do... about the frequency range thing- you're saying they would go higher than 200hz if we should need them to for a certain gig?

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 12:50pm
Will have a look for the specs myself. 

Just out of interest, why would you need to run above 200Hz on the bass?  If you had some small hornloaded mid-tops that needed a 250Hz or maybe even 300Hz crossover for example then I'd expect you'd be fine.  All reflex boxes will work all the way up to the roll-off of the driver if you needed them to, but a driver designed for a bass bin would not normally be expected to sound good doing midrange.

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 1:06pm
Btw, have looked at what the BW 1508 is used in and it's the Impulse 1015 which is a lower end mid-top box.  This might suggest you'd be better off using them in mid-tops rather than bass.  They might not have the low frequency capability to get the best out of my design for example.

If you want to use them maybe going back to a 2x15 + 1.4"/2" design might be a plan.
boycey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boycey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 3:59pm
the original idea with those cones was the twin reflex cabs as low-mids. i think i may have been slightly seduced by the sexy cab designs and the need for something between the x1 and lower bass
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 4:18pm
I reckon to get you started, a rig of two X1's and two twin15"+HF would do you very well.  You can do a fair sized room with something like that.

So should we start looking at some mid top designs for you?
boycey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boycey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

So should we start looking at some mid top designs for you?

that'd be great
robotnation View Drop Down

Member Banned!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotnation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2007 at 9:34am

Two 15 inches over an X1 works but for small applications it is sorta overkill.  though 15 inchers and 2 midtops will get you more sound in theory, it is much bulkier than necesary.  The hd15 only goes to about 180/200, that gets you good bass but youll never get the midrange sound quality of a few rephlex capable of vey high but crossed over around 440.  440 on a 15" speaker wont cut it if you only have a ratio of two to one and need balance, so if you just want a midtop get 12" speakers, 6 12" speakers for your two X1s, crossover around 90-100hz youll have the most bang for your buck.  Its what i run and its got amazing sound quality (very flat SPL curve) and the 12 inchers complement the X1 perfect when tuned right  i know at first i was tempted to be a compulsive speaker builder and do something in a power of two like everyone else does around here (2X1 2HD215 wiht two 15s in each, two midtops with two 8 nchers,) but this works just as well and isnt overkill.  pick quality over quantity.  This is the kind of sound system you can fit in a minivan or volvo.  Also saves huge money only needing an active twoway crossover and passive 2 way in midtops.  Even more money saved needing two amps one mono or bridged and one stereo instead of a good 4 amps or so in the other instance.  If you DO have unlimited space then use the money you saved to build two 15 inch monitors =) i bet im gonna get the royal "ZOMG J00 IZ TEH N00B" treatment for this post since im saying not to use the most over recommended combo on the entire forum.(edit) i just noticed you have 15inchers already so that prob ruins my idea anyway, 12 inch reflexspeakers are stil really great in semi large numbers!

Edited by robotnation - 21 February 2007 at 10:11am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12