Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie building 186 Horns *** Finished *** :-)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jbossman2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbossman2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2014 at 11:59pm
ye they are very nice all you need now is a bigger power amp and get rid of the behringer stuff and you will be nice i would recommend a klark eq or bss cheap used ones on ebay but really lie the boxses 
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2014 at 12:12am
Only one thing to say really, Excellent job. Well done.
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2014 at 11:59am
i wouldn't recommend an EQ at all, for a 'playback rig' it shouldn't be needed! Especially a nasty Behringer one!!

Just invest what you can in a digi processor, berry DCX, DB Tech thingymajig, XTA etc - do all crossover, delay, phase, limiting on there - job done!!

In terms of your amp, although it claims 1800w @ 4ohm bridge, id bet in terms of bass output you would be nearer 12-1400w rms, giving a mere 6-700w per driver. I don't know the limits of the RCF driver, but with the PD186 i could put in a good clean 1000w rms per driver [with headroom on amp] and they came alive, serious kick and output!! Subs in general love to have a nice big amplifier preferably not in bridge, with plenty of headroom above what the driver needs/wants. In terms of future builds, you would need at least 2/side for the cab to work semi properly [eventually 3/side] so would be looking for an amp that can do 4kw+ rms @ 2.6ohm which won't be cheap! Plenty of topics talking this subject to death in the newbie section, amp section, scoop section, electrofrying section etc etc... not going to touch on specifics!

One thing is for sure... you are hooked in the PA game...! Say goodbye to your bank balance LOL

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
pullup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pullup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2014 at 9:18am
Well done, now that is what i call a very good build Thumbs Up
Fabianm_be View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fabianm_be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2014 at 4:06pm
Hello all Smile

Last Saturday was the first gig for these 2 babies.

This was a small birthday party with around 100 people invited but since they rented a venue able to host from 250 to 300 it was a good test for us.

With the pair of 186, we needed to use one Behringer 815 on each side and a pair of cheap Thomann speaker (the first ones my son got when he was 15) on the center to have medium and high all around the dance floor.

Do not laugh or cry about this, I just started to draw tops who will fit the bass but, didn't wanted to wait before using them.

During the afternoon, I made some testing and finally crossed the bass around 150-160 Hz. Eq was almost flat, just a small correction in the high range and we spend 2 hours listening all kind of music from 70s to Today and I must admit this sounded great.

I was not there for the party because invited to another one but when I go back to the venue to take away all the stuffs, I got congratulations from many person for the quality of the sound.

In my area, there are many young DJ but lot of them are using crappy material like Ibiza Sound one and are not able to tune something right.

In the future, I think the tops, a second pair of 186 and a sound processor will provide a very decent sound quality for the kind of gig my son is doing.

Thanks for all your encouragement and see you soon in a next post about the tops Wink

Fabian

Here is a small set of pictures taken by my second son before the party begin.

Edited by Fabianm_be - 20 February 2014 at 4:07pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2014 at 10:38pm
that looks very nice, wish all mobile DJ's put this much effort into it!!

If that trussing is yours, i would look at building midtops which can be flown off it, partly as at the right height means you can angle the midtop just where you want it, and partly because it looks a whole heap nicer than cabs on tripods!

A very big well done to you Thumbs Up

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fabianm_be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2014 at 9:32am
This is funny,

my son just proposed to create the tops as small line array ones to get them flown off the trussing.

Unfortunately, I already ordered drivers ad HF to build a pair of MT122 tops. My plan was to create 3 separate boxes per side (1 high and 2 medium) to me more easily transportable but also, to be able to place them for a wider coverage sound.

I guess, these boxes will be too heavy to flown from the trussing. My original plan was to put them on top of 2 186 Horn each side.

Trussing is the only item my son doesn't own itself because he have a deal with the local renter. He help from time to time for gig installation and can borrow trussing for free. Like this, he can vary the shape (square, rectangle circle, ...)

And, also, we have only a simple garage at home as vault. Here is how it look's like since he kept the trussing from the last gig until the next one.

My car is sleeping outside since a while Confused

Daniel S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2014 at 10:23am
Very nice :)
Distortion is evil
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2014 at 10:53am
i wouldn't really consider the MT122 to be suitable for your needs if im honest. It has a narrow dispersion designed to be used in arrays of 2-3/side to provide sufficient horizontal coverage.

Id be looking at something like the X12 if you plan on 1/side midtops, will still have plenty of output for a 2-3x 186 horns/side, wider horizontal coverage, and be a smaller lighter cabinet. You could add Aerotrack onto the top to allow them to be flown also. Flown midtops would allow you to put the four 186's center stage in a block which will allow them to work better together.

Better so, i would consider 2x single mid cabs per side, flown. Either a reflex 12"+comp, or even MT121's.... easily enough to be done.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fabianm_be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2014 at 12:20pm
You are right about MT122, this is why I wanted to build them in separate boxes in order to put 2 medium side by side and get a better coverage.

So, for you, if I build a pair of X12 tops, they will handle without problem four 186?

Since I have 4 x 12" drivers and 2 x 2" compressions on order for MT122, I can use them to create X12 instead.

Thanks for the guidance by the way Smile

Edited by Fabianm_be - 21 February 2014 at 12:20pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2014 at 10:36pm
which drivers did you order? [makes a fair difference to any advice]

bare in mind the MT122 spread out 3sections sideways is going to be pretty big [1400mm!], when a sideways 186 is 956mm.... and the HF horn will need to be a wide dispersion one, not the one specified in the plans.

for size reference [from a houseparty haha - that tv was 38" i think], two 186's, with a pair of JRX112M's on top... They kept up just fine, and were cheap crap - proper midtops will sounds amazing. Also bear in mind, two high like this is not high enough for short cabs like them in a gig situation, hence i suggested X12's - gets the HF up to a suitable height.

still, my favorite solution to your rig [based on 2-3x 186's per side] would be a pair of flown 12"+comp midtops per side - though for DJ type stuff an X12 angled in slightly would suffice also allowing ground stacking saving time and cost [ultimately - main thing is decent sound on dancefloor].

hope this helps, but remember, sound is subjective - i am just going by my personal taste, you may love something different.... its all about trial and error from trying different styles of kit and setups to discover what you love!!

AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2014 at 11:09pm
A good compromise, the horn is shorter so dispersion won't be as tight.
http://hornplans.free.fr/smt212.html

I own a similar design and they can be used one a side.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>