Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newly purchased Turbosound TMS-4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2013 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Hyppe Hyppe wrote:

Hello Again!
Anyone know how i in the future get the DCX2496 to work 4-way active, guess i need some more dsp?

Run Subs and Low in mono, Mid and High in stereo.
Input C can be used as a seperate Sub send if you need/want it.

Or put a second DCX at work and run each as a 4-way mono processor with two spare outputs for infill/sidefill/center/delays/...  Two inputs are also free to direct to whatever output you like or make any matrix mix of the inputs to route to each individual filtersection.
Marko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Hyppe Hyppe wrote:

What I noticed immediately is that Hf Turbosound CD-101 (Beyma CP-300) located in two of the boxes sounds very different from the B&C driver (BBC D20) located in the other two boxes.

Beyma cp-300 sounds much softer and more comfortable but you have to +db around 10 000 for them to come out properly

B&C driver sounds very sharp "tick tick" :) from the start. so this one you must instead reduce a lot db to get it to sound good.

If Beyma drivers have 16 ohm diaphragmas and B&C 8 ohm, this would be the case.
Marko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by slaith slaith wrote:

Hey!

And since you have them apart already.
I would sugest for the greater good of all mankind, get som pictures and maybe measurements of the Turbobass chamber.
Because there has been so much speculation on how it's made up and what it looks like and so on.
I think alot of people would be really grateful, I know I would atleast. Smile

+1
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by Marko Marko wrote:

Originally posted by slaith slaith wrote:

Hey!

And since you have them apart already.
I would sugest for the greater good of all mankind, get som pictures and maybe measurements of the Turbobass chamber.
Because there has been so much speculation on how it's made up and what it looks like and so on.
I think alot of people would be really grateful, I know I would atleast. Smile

+1
It is a TSE-118!!

The plans are all over teh web, the issue is it only works with a Turbo LS180x...Smile

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 11:24pm
back on topic, the B&C is the wrong driver for these boxes and I'd sell them for some CD-102s to match what you have, the Beyma's really sing and unless you want to use them in anger all day long IMHO are sweeter than the EV (CD-103s) but eh B&C has no place in that box, but will get enough cahs to fund the correct drivers!!!!

Smile
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2013 at 12:29am
Is there any plans for tse-115 I tried to sim this as a part of the tms-2 as i could find no other sims only hd15 which is actually quite different.

Other drivers play very well in tse 115
I know people like to use pd.184 in tms-4 / tse-118 over here in DK
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2013 at 12:43am
I've heard a PD-184 in TSE-218s (Ok I've heard 2 of them!!) and they work well but fart about 200Hz so don't really make teh 250Hz the TMS needs to hit the 10"...

The TSE-x15 is a TMS-2/3 bottom end and again requires an mentaly quick driver, a Fane Neo 15" would be my starting point, but I can see you won't get to 250Hz clear....Smile
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2013 at 1:21am
How can you see that?
First I simmed it as the best.
Then we've been blind listening and measuring with the boys, mb15n401 won!
RCF was far more linear
Fane studio 15b was quite similar to the original ls1506 and it's cheaper, they had quite a boost around some freq i forgot which.
pd.1550 was game over

Edited by tv00 - 25 January 2013 at 1:23am
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2013 at 1:33am
Originally posted by tv00 tv00 wrote:

How can you see that?
First I simmed it as the best.
Then we've been blind listening and measuring with the boys, mb15n401 won!
RCF was far more linear
Fane studio 15b was quite similar to the original ls1506 and it's cheaper, they had quite a boost around some freq i forgot which.
pd.1550 was game over

I've tried various driver and the issue is pure acceleration, back in the day 3 and even 2" VC drivers were about in abundance, we tried loads, none were quick enough, a 4" VC RCF isn't gonna touch an LS-180x let alone a LS150x, Turbosound is all about "transient response" not SPL or low end extension, you wnat low-end breakout teh TSW-124s and PL 9.0s, the recent trend in driver development appears to higher power handing (the LS-150x was, from memory only 250-300W) and more low end extension, more power handling mean more copper on the VC which is more mass, more lo-end extension means more excursion, again ends up with more mass, more mass means 250Hz is a dream...

So yeah I knida "see" a 4" VC driver will never work, as for blind listening, with what program material, if you want it Hi-SPL, MP3 freindly,  "banging" then I can see the Turbo drivers are easily bettered, if , but if you want a pretty flat response Turbo box, you are screwed....

Smile
Hyppe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyppe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2013 at 8:29am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

back on topic, the B&C is the wrong driver for these boxes and I'd sell them for some CD-102s to match what you have, the Beyma's really sing and unless you want to use them in anger all day long IMHO are sweeter than the EV (CD-103s) but eh B&C has no place in that box, but will get enough cahs to fund the correct drivers!!!!

Smile

what do you think about a deal on 4 x Cp350ti for 120 Euro?
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2013 at 9:25am
Ok Shagnasty, we're running a bit off- topic here regarding tms-2.

The fact is that the rcf neos ARE MORE FLAT! We did measure that plot throughout!
Perhaps the ls-1502 and fane studio 15b have been a bit worn out?
From 4 peoples ears with different taste of music rcf simlpy WON being more transient!

Take a look at the specs, it's a very fast driver!!!

Take a look at the theory then:
I've seen quite a few 15" horns crossing at 250hz
Look at the xtro's, people cross them far above 250hz

Big respect for turbo & their nice transient sound, I think it's no wonder if this box can be improved after 34 years on the market.
iistixxxii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iistixxxii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2013 at 12:45am
I have 4 tsw 721's and 4 tms-4's and a turbosound lma d6 processor why do I figure this
Is going to be a headache to make it sound right?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>