Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nexo vs Tham15 test!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nexo vs Tham15 test!
    Posted: 24 July 2015 at 11:21pm
Had some fun a cuple of weeks ago!

Test was done in a big warehouse, DEQ2496, ECM8000 on some foam on the floor 1,5m from speaker.

Do not take the spl/m/w seriously.

Room did a lot to the plot but you can see how much sensitivity diff between cabs :-)

Impedance has been nom and cabs with x2 drivers plays 3dB higher.

No filter, DSP or any Nexo hocuspocus.

Cabs tested:
Tham15, PD.154 loaded
Nexo LS500
Nexo LS1200
Nexo RS.15-C
Nexo Alpha S2

Edited by LjudLahger - 24 July 2015 at 11:24pm
LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2015 at 11:23pm

Edited by LjudLahger - 24 July 2015 at 11:25pm
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2015 at 11:28pm
if you did not use the nexo processing, then the above is a bit meaningless in my opinion - the processor i an integral part of the system, the boxes are designed and tuned to work along with the processor.

whether or not that is a good thing is another subject altogether...
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2015 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

if you did not use the nexo processing, then the above is a bit meaningless in my opinion - the processor i an integral part of the system, the boxes are designed and tuned to work along with the processor.

whether or not that is a good thing is another subject altogether...

True, but I was curious of the cab itself, and from a DSP view "how much are ok to eq" and what starting point they got, if you know what I mean.    
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2015 at 11:47pm
fair enough, but as i said, nexo really needs the processing.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2015 at 9:52am
Does the Nexo processor effect the sensitivity then? As I got the impression the ccomparison was done to illustrate the differing sensitivity between the cabs and not How flat the plot looks.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2015 at 2:18pm
I don´t know about the Nexo bass bins above, but I do know that the PS10/15 sound like shite without their processor.

It is interesting to see how well the Tham 15 does against the 'raw' Nexo cabs, but really you have to agree with csg - without the processing, it´s all a bit meaningless.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2015 at 2:30pm
what sort of processing we talkin about here..... could you, just for the sake of a test and a quick ten mins, apply the SAME processing to the tham and see how she sounds?
i understand they are different boxes with different driver and all that shizzle but ya'know, as you have the boxes out anyway.............

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2015 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

what sort of processing we talkin about here..... could you, just for the sake of a test and a quick ten mins, apply the SAME processing to the tham and see how she sounds?
i understand they are different boxes with different driver and all that shizzle but ya'know, as you have the boxes out anyway.............

Thats an idea!

This was done a cuple of weeks ago but maybe we could do it again!
And yes its a shame I did not test with processing but it was the cabs it self i was after.
So if there be a next time I will try to get all meassured.

Anyway, I thought this would be interesting for some people because you dont see this everyday
And fewer people wants to share here anymore :-)
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2015 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by LjudLahger LjudLahger wrote:

Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Thats an idea!

This was done a cuple of weeks ago but maybe we could do it again!
And yes its a shame I did not test with processing but it was the cabs it self i was after.
So if there be a next time I will try to get all meassured.

Anyway, I thought this would be interesting for some people because you dont see this everyday
And fewer people wants to share here anymore :-)

^^This, or run the Nexo's with the controller and the thams with whatever settings they need to sing and then see what the result is.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2015 at 11:55pm
^^^^^ oooor.... do all of them!
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2015 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

I don´t know about the Nexo bass bins above, but I do know that the PS10/15 sound like shite without their processor.

If you didn't know, the reason for this is that the passive crossover in the PS10/15 is not designed to give a flat response and doesn't contain any of the attenuation required for the HF because this just wastes power dissipating it in resistors in an L-Pad.  Instead the attenuation is done in the controller.  It's very hard to recreate what the controller does just using EQ.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>