Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nightfire Scoop / Rear Loaded Horn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nightfire Scoop / Rear Loaded Horn
    Posted: 14 October 2006 at 10:02pm
Anybody seen these scoops about or heard / built them ?

They sound interesting.

Nightfire says:

20" Scoop / Rear Loaded Horn - Are your 18" scoops not loud enough?

The PR20120 in this relatively easy to build scoop design will BLOW YOU AWAY! 500W AES, 1000W Continuous, very low power compression and unbelievable sensitivity gives you MORE BASS from a cabinet no bigger than a 'standard' 18" scoop.

The 20120 really is a unique bass driver due to the way it behaves under power, giving you a 'truer' sub bass response, and insane SPLs! You won't be dissapointed...

tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2006 at 10:41pm

I think bassmaxx is better/larger. It has much larger mouth area and much less wastage of space

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2006 at 5:16am

looking at the drawing, it wouldn't work that well

Edited by mykey - 24 February 2007 at 5:59pm
SmokeyJoe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2006 at 7:46am
That design wastes loads of space. Where the "scoop" bit is (at 45deg).

I dont like it - sticking to microscoops...
Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2006 at 8:06am
all scoop designs have that huge space where the scoop part is.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2006 at 9:15am
SmokeyJoe, What are the Microscoops like ?

What are they loaded with ?

I'm thinking of a couple myself. I see the design are for 15'' drivers, do you know what they would be like if I keep the same dimensions but cut the hole to take an 18'' driver ?

Thinking of putting either a PD1850, PD186 or Void V-18 1000 in them. 

Cheers.
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2006 at 2:13pm

Unlikely you could just stick an 18 in one of the microscoops...the 15" looks to be a fairly tight fit so I'd guess the baffle is too small.. You would probably also need to adjust the rear chamber size..

I think that a UK soiund called Dubateers use Nightfire designed scoops (a custom design though I think) that look kind of similar to an 18" version of the microscoop, with the baffle angled down to increase effective mouth area. Only seen pics with grilles on though, so hard to see exactly whats going on with their boxes.

Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2007 at 5:22am
Originally posted by jethrocker jethrocker wrote:

Unlikely you could just stick an 18 in one of the microscoops...the 15" looks to be a fairly tight fit so I'd guess the baffle is too small.. You would probably also need to adjust the rear chamber size..

Jeth, seems like Mykeys DubSub or Stipes HOG scoop is what I've had my mind on for months.

You right though, after seeing Dubateers System in Southend the other day, they were using some Nightfire boxes.

Edited by Tekasis - 24 February 2007 at 5:24am
SmokeyJoe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2007 at 7:16am
Tekasis, I never built the MicroScoop's - I built a mockup of the box with scrapwood to see if it would fit in the car, and it turned out too big!

The design is nice though, i've wanted to hear some as soon as i saw the plans .

I decided to build the B&C Sub18 - which is just about small enough.

- SmokeyJoe/
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2007 at 7:27am
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe SmokeyJoe wrote:

Tekasis, I never built the MicroScoop's - I built a mockup of the box with scrapwood to see if it would fit in the car, and it turned out too big! 

I decided to build the B&C Sub18 - which is just about small enough.

- SmokeyJoe/

OK SmokeyJoe, I hear the B&C Sub's sound good for what they are & their size, & they do look neat & cute.
 Post Reply Post Reply