Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"No one in Jamaica uses scoops anymore"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2012 at 10:17pm
the t-18's you talk about, the cabs they use do look like t18's but have very different internal panels. They are more like a cubo18, but the size of a t18...Wink this is something ive looked at building, just to see what its like...... 
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2012 at 11:20pm
Please see http://forum.speakerplans.com/spektre-double-18-scoops_topic63235_page4.html for pics of Bass Odyssey's bass bin & the T 18 hybrid used in Ja by most. we say hybrid because a true T18 is reverse baffle mounted while this one has the back of the speaker in the box. As bee said the dimensions are similar.

Reasons for the switch: most operators are not knowledgeable & look to copy what Stone Love does. This has been happening for some years & we have seen switches  to peavey CS800"s, Hill DX 3000, QSC mx 3000's, BR to scoops to Cerwin Vega clones to these T 18's which seem to have lasted the better part of 10+ years. Also notice the similarity of the top end boxes which are a 4 way version of the MT121 but with 12"s & 15's.

As to my impressions of the sounds: Stone Love & Swatch had a loud, 70 Hzish sound that i found annoying. Bass Oddyssey w 16 of those funny looking Cerwin vega ish "scoops" (?!) were full, rich & effortless. due in part to the Powersofts??
Renaisance was the only BR sound (& self powered Line Array (Zann) tops) there (12 double 18's), PLM 10000Q powered. I found only 3 of the 6 stack pictured playing at 11PM. I've heard them cover Mas Camp ( a much larger space ) so chalk up this one to their prima donna turn up at star time attitude. This was evidenced in the fact that at 8 PM when the rotation was being decided no rep was there & hence resulted in them playing last.

A comment was made on here about using cheapie 18's. Please note that most of the A & B class sounds in Ja use premium JBL, 18 Sound & RCF drivers. IA very few have B & C & Beyma. I have never seen PD drivers here tho' nor hog scoops, but this island being what it is, it's very possible...

Edited by taurusty - 19 February 2012 at 11:29pm
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 4:27am
Originally posted by Autograff Autograff wrote:

Someone was going on about this a few years ago , people using T-18s or something , who cares what everyone else is using really..
yep! I spoke with Mike about this. Somewhere on here said it was about noise complaints. Got to be 2 years ago?
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 4:31am
V2 in stacks of 3 high is whats needed in Jamaica ; )
Ras Loud View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ras Loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 12:17pm
Isn't it a hell of a job to find a secure storage room for a sound system in Jamaica?

With all that robbing... but maybe it is less extreme outside of Kingston.
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2012 at 11:30pm
I go to Jamaica virtually every year and although most of the big sounds in JA do not use scoops many smaller sounds in the country still use scoops. I first saw Stonelove in 1997 and they were not using scoops then. Metromedia were using scoops but changed the following year.

Metromedia confirmed that the change to the cabs with the bass firing downwards was in response to noise complaints and those cabs are an attempt to localised the bass hence the short throw.

I was at a small dance the other day in JA and the sound was using 9 x 15" scoops. 1 stack with 6 and the other with 3.

Crappy phone pics below.

The sound below was the nicest sound this year.

taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2012 at 11:52pm
KNEt That's Ultimate out of Discovery Bay.
Has a wicked old hits session at his jerk Centre (pictured) ev last Saturday of the month.
32 B& C Eighteens. He's the largest Powersoft user in the island to my knowledge to date.

Edited by taurusty - 26 February 2012 at 11:54pm
hi grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 12:19am
mid highs sound sweet on that system !
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by taurusty taurusty wrote:

KNEt That's Ultimate out of Discovery Bay.
Has a wicked old hits session at his jerk Centre (pictured) ev last Saturday of the month.
32 B& C Eighteens. He's the largest Powersoft user in the island to my knowledge to date.

Yes Taurusty, I try to reach there everytime I'm in JA. Bass is run by 4 x K20's. Rest is run by a combination of Lab and Powersoft. The top section is covered by Selenium bullets and he's using JBL 2380 horns but I'm not sure what comps he's using. There are 4 stacks like the one in the pics. He's got the set well balanced now and it's a real delight to listen to. Feb session was not as busy as usual and the DJ was playing some pretty suspect music (Mixmasters, Wham - Wake me up before you go go and Sister Sledge - Framkie for f**k's sake!!!)
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 2:10pm
Nice, powerful amp rack there!
music is the message
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 9:15pm
looks like your having fun out there ken, cant wait to have a beer when u get back, so u can tell me all your storys....
hi grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 9:26pm
wow i was at ultamates old hits thing in feb   ken pity i didnt know you was there mate couldve bought me loads of rum Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>