Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No sound to speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrcheggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No sound to speakers
    Posted: 17 September 2018 at 5:22pm
Hi
Recently installed a pair of 186/2s into two kick cabinets and upon trying to test them by themselves I simply can't get them to make a noise :( Signal is going from a laptop to decks and from there into a behringer super x with a phono to XLR and out of the crossover into a Proline. The wiring from the driver to the connector is not yet soldered as decided to hold off incase an issue like this arose but I can't see how this would mean it doesn't at all make a sound as everything is secured and making firm contact. A signal shows up on the amp but abosolutely nothing to the drivers. Initially wired them in parallel but then on the second one just wired it up to a single connector incase it was something to do with that but still nothing. I am absolutely stumped but I have no doubt that it is myself doing something wrong as this is the very first set of speakers I have attempted to set up so thought I'd ask on here incase anyone has anything i can try to get these going. Any input whatsoever is appreciated greatly.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2018 at 6:34pm
Ok, lets make the chain as simple as possible 1st!

Plug headphones into your laptop... make sure it absolutley has output.
Then plug the laptop DIRECTLY into the amp and use a DIFFERENT speaker on the output of the amp to make sure this simple chain works!

If you get output through your headphones but none when you plug it directly into the amp with another speaker other then the 186/2 Then it points heavily towards a busted amp. But if it DOES work then there's a good chance the 186/2 are bust... BUT if another speaker does work plug the 186/2in and it ALSO works then your crossover MAY be bust...

It's about fault finding.. try to test each bit of the signal chain with 'known to work' components as it could be any one of the parts that have failed.

But again as you say the amp shows there is signal then you are left with the 2 possibilities: both 186/2 are shot or your amp is!

Edited by mini-mad - 17 September 2018 at 6:36pm
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2018 at 6:43pm
Are the drivers new or used?

Troubleshooting 101 is divide and conquer.
If the drivers are used test them with a multimter set on ohms x1, they should measure 5-6 ohms. If they measure open(infinite resistance) then they are blown.
Also test the sound system by connecting another speaker(any speaker) to the amp, that will confirm signal is passing and also if the crossover settings are correct for what you are trying to do.
mrcheggman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrcheggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2018 at 7:17pm
Thanks guys, yeah thought it'd be a case of troubleshooting everything but not alot of people in my area own speakers so might be a bit of a long-winded process. Yes, the drivers are brand new, the amp is second hand but was demonstrated upon purchase and has only been touched to set this up since then.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2018 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by mrcheggman mrcheggman wrote:

The wiring from the driver to the connector is not yet soldered as decided to hold off incase an issue like this arose but I can't see how this would mean it doesn't at all make a sound as everything is secured and making firm contact. A signal shows up on the amp but abosolutely nothing to the drivers. Initially wired them in parallel but then on the second one just wired it up to a single connector incase it was something to do with that but still nothing

how exactly have you wired them?

njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2018 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

Originally posted by mrcheggman mrcheggman wrote:

The wiring from the driver to the connector is not yet soldered as decided to hold off incase an issue like this arose but I can't see how this would mean it doesn't at all make a sound as everything is secured and making firm contact. A signal shows up on the amp but abosolutely nothing to the drivers. Initially wired them in parallel but then on the second one just wired it up to a single connector incase it was something to do with that but still nothing

how exactly have you wired them?

^^This, if you're using four pole speakons are you using the right pins?
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2018 at 8:03pm
How to blow an amp up in one easy lesson!!!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrcheggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2018 at 8:37pm
Will have to double check in the next few days as I'll have to pull the driver fully out and they'rea at my mates house atm. Doubt it becasue i explicitly remember triple checking but worth a look at this point
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2018 at 11:08pm
Make sure the speakon is wired perfect too, providing that's what you're using, as I've been k ow to wire one upside down while a little tipsy...

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrcheggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2018 at 4:32pm
The connector, yeah? Know for a fact thats simply 1+ and 1- (except the one in parallel) but am confused as to how you would've managed wiring one upside down hahaha
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2018 at 6:31pm
what do you mean except the one in paralle? that makes no sense.. paralell would be wired exactly the same.

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2018 at 1:25pm
I´ve seen connectors with cable wired to 1+ and 2- . Easy mistake to make when rushed, pìssed, or working in the dark!   LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>