Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

non ipad tablet for mixer remote control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: non ipad tablet for mixer remote control
    Posted: 19 May 2019 at 7:36pm
so im a total anti-Apple fanboy, and need a tablet to remote app desks (specifically A&H SQ series, Midas Pro series, & Soundcraft SI). It will only be doing this via WIFI, not much else. No mobile connectivity, cameras, fleshlights or whatever other features needed.

So what do people own/use in the 10"+ screen size with decent touch sensitivity etc which aren't laggy in response?

cheers Star
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 9:28pm
Buy a used ipad off of eBay. I'm not a fan of apple but sometimes you have to do the needful.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 10:08pm
Are there Android apps for all of those now?  At one time Midas were Apple Fanboys only
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 11:05pm
Unfortunately it's not just about now, it's also about the future when inveriably the new widget launches with an IOS app and the android "coming soon"....

All of these control type apps take very little resource, so the older ipads run smooth as.
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 1:18am
In my experience if you're not gonna buy an iPad, by a Surface. That said last time I looked most desks only supported iPads.
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 3:40am
I see a lot of surfaces in use by system techs. Monitor guys seem to play with iOS devices more. A lot of lighting guys who have laptop based setups have gone over to Remote Desktop on a surface, as the apps for both Android and iOS suffer reliability issues. 
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 9:44am

I purchased a DELL Venue 11 Pro 7140 Windows tablet for £200 in December, they are currently £249 on Amazon.

It comes with Full windows 10 PRO, has an Intel Core M 5Y10 cpu, 128GB SSD and 4GB RAM, it also has a micro SD slot so I have installed a 200GB micro SD to give it more storage.

I have been using VDJ (as a backup) on it and my DMX software... So far it has been faultless; it’s not the fastest tablet but has done everything I have asked of it without any issues.

citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 10:39am
Has anyone tried the surface go? The budget one.

Edited by citizensc - 20 May 2019 at 10:39am
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 11:57am
Originally posted by citizensc citizensc wrote:

Has anyone tried the surface go? The budget one.

Yes. They’re good but it will work with none of the desks in the OP. Those desks are iOS only, like most others. The apps are developed for iPads because of consistency and ease of development compared to supporting a million buggy configurations.

It’s a tool, put your personal beef aside and buy the right thing. Or would you try and force the wrong type of screwdriver because you don’t like another?
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 5:30pm
+1 for sucking it up and buying an iPad.

I mostly do live sound, often leaving the mixer side-of-stage and mixing from FOH with an iPad (3rd gen). I wanted to add another screen so I could have more faders to hand.

So, I spent a while looking around at various Android tablets without drawing any solid conclusions. Would any given model still be supported in 2 years time? Would that model even run the app I want? Who knows.

Bought an iPad Mini (2nd gen) for £110 used, and I'm happy. I didn't even check to see if it was compatible with the desk, because I knew it'd work.

I don't buy iPhones because IMO the Android models are better. Camera, battery life, expandable storage, etc etc. Same for their laptops. When it comes to tablets, though, I haven't found a better alternative.

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2019 at 11:33am
ended up with two ipad air1's for not a huge amount of money....

worked brilliantly for yesterdays show... but i still dont like them for anything else!!
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2019 at 11:59am
i also got savage sunburn from not being in a FOH tent. The Lord of Windows/Android is punishing me for going Apple Nuke

Edited by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 - 02 June 2019 at 11:59am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>