Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

not a horn or sub.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: not a horn or sub.
    Posted: 30 March 2018 at 9:28am
So, I really needed some foot monitors. Doing more and more band work. I made these from offcuts and speakers that were lying around. I looked at buying some. New and second hand. Did I want some ragged to death beer filled 30 yr old carpet coverd E.V 's or JBL's for 500 bucks or just make some. I opted for the latter. Tuned to 60hz PD121 and some selenium comp on a Emmy horn. Beymer crossover which was the only thing I bought for this project. Very happy, tuning is on the nose. Those PDs are punchy as.
Just thought to upload something different

Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2018 at 10:04am
They look great! I'd like to see a shot of them pole mounted and with grilles.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2018 at 2:33pm
Looks really good man, nice work. Thumbs Up
Have you any measurements of them yet? I'm curious how flat the PD.121 stays when tuned down to 60Hz.
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2018 at 4:49am
I ment Beyma (such a dick head). Thanks Hemisphere I will get one up.
The crossover is 3800hz 12db slope to the comp. I was slightly worried about the pd getting up that high it should go to 5k. I am very surprised by how much bass is cominig out sounds like a solid 45hz. Not mesured them so can't say for sure. I would be happy 70hz - 10db. Seems to be going alot lower. I know the pd should be at 100hz. They are limited by the xover to 400w so I doubt the pd will over exert with the 45hz hp on it. But in reality I will be giving it 60hz hp on stage.
The eq is smiley from 1k to the crossover point. Just sounded narly. -3db at the max. The comp has a wee boost 2db at 12k. I have reversed polarity on the comp to give me a 16r box I can hear the out of phase but I like it seems to add detail. Just my opinion. Snares and cybles jump rite out.
I have been on these for over 2 months just happy to finaly hear them. This is one time I am glad I did buy any.
The box is around 40ltrs with 2x 35mm ports at 40mm long. Volocity seems ok no chuffing.
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2018 at 8:50am
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2018 at 1:24pm
Those looking absolutley spanking for bits you had laying around! Proper pro level stuff right there.

Your workmanship is fantastic... I wish mine would turn out that good.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2018 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by doller doller wrote:

I am very surprised by how much bass is cominig out sounds like a solid 45hz. Not mesured them so can't say for sure. I would be happy 70hz - 10db. Seems to be going alot lower. I know the pd should be at 100hz. They are limited by the xover to 400w so I doubt the pd will over exert with the 45hz hp on it. But in reality I will be giving it 60hz hp on stage.

Thanks for the extra info. 
I'm sure, given the requirements of a 12" wedge for band use, having the low end shelve down will probably end up being a good thing anyway.
Again, great looking project, thanks for sharing it.
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 12:11am
Thank you Mini mad sir I am humbled. Dmorison I am happy with the low just didn't expect it. Very very surprised. Maybe the box shape is having some effect I really don't know.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 8:55am
Could be some 'missing fundamental' effect going on - psychoacoustic perception of bass which isn't really being reproduced by the speaker.
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 12:10pm
could be. dunno haven't tripped forover 20 yrs but latent psycosis maybe.
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 12:11pm
end
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 12:31pm
Psychoacoustics and missing fundamental perception has nothing to do with tripping. It's a basic brain function or oddity.

The brain isn't comfortable with the idea that the harmonics of a note may exist without the fundamental, so when the fundamental isn't present (due to either being cut from the signal or just not reproduced by the system), the brain will sometimes fill in the gaps. How pronounced the effect is depends on loads of factors. It gets fairly involved if you're thinking of optimising it - DSP effects can be applied with powerful effect, ie MaxxBass from Waves. A lot of compact speakers are designed with this principle in mind, and you may have struck upon it in your design by chance.

All this aside, you should do a test sweep measurement to see what it's really doing. Probably 25dB down by 45Hz, but in some tracks that'll still feel like a serious presence, especially if you're getting a bit of the effect I mentioned.

Edited by Hemisphere - 01 April 2018 at 12:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>