Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not strictly soundsystem but.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfieDring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not strictly soundsystem but.....
    Posted: 31 March 2011 at 10:35pm
I'm about to install a 12V electrical system in a campervan. I want this system to be fully seperate from the engine battery and the vehicles other electrical systems and to only serve the "house in the back" so to speak.

I'm a bit confused about the role earthing plays regarding safety on 12v systems? I'm also reluctant to ground or earth the new electrical system to the van's chassis as I dont want the two systems to have any interplay with each other. The box of the van is glass reinforced plywood and its construction means i can wire up in such a way that only a serious mishap (crash etc) could cause any part of the systems to be shorted to each other.

Below is a circuit diagram of what im thinking so far. The fusebox would be the automotive type with blade fuses of the lowest value possible, other than that there are no safeguards?

Thoughts/ opinions / improvements and even outright tutting will be very much appreciated, 

Alf
abbotsmike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abbotsmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2011 at 12:21am
Earth it to the chassis, it will be fine. as long as the engine battery positive terminal is not electrically connected to the positive supply of the other battery. A standard split charge relay will do exactly this. It is installed in the positive line between both batteries, (or alternator and battery) and only closes when the engine is on and the alternator is producing 14.4V. Generally the relay is energised by the ignition switch, but it can be connected to a standard switched live if this is preferred.
AlfieDring View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfieDring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2011 at 12:47pm
Ahh thanks mike, So if i only earth the negative to the chassis there will still be no currents flowing between the two systems under normal circumstances? Think i get it now :)
 Post Reply Post Reply