Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Novice 1850 question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teknojay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Novice 1850 question
    Posted: 17 June 2009 at 2:11am
does the plywood have to be 18mm birch ply or can i use 18mm spruce structural ply as my dads got about 6 8x4 sheets in his garage he said i can have Big smile
hmaudio View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 4:26pm
I no everyone on hear is gonna tell you not to but tbh iv built 4 scoops out of structual ply for my shed and there not to bad. they do flex a bit and theres no way of getting a decent paint job on them as the grains to deep. if your buildin um as a project like i did go for it Thumbs Up and plus its free lol
Nottingham based cab builder. https://www.facebook.com/HMAudio-154352667920145/?ref=bookmarks
This account is used by 2 people.
teknojay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teknojay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 4:39pm
yeah just a little project to start with to see how to put 1 together gonna  build 4 n might do a couple of pub nights with em just to raise sum funds for the proper materials but mainly they'll be barping away in my kitchen pissing my neighbours off LOL
hmaudio View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 5:20pm
haha thats the best way mate. let me no how it goes, im buildin 4 186,s soon :D 
Nottingham based cab builder. https://www.facebook.com/HMAudio-154352667920145/?ref=bookmarks
This account is used by 2 people.
El Cheapo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Cheapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 10:03pm
Carpet them
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 10:14pm
well if you can afford to i'd just buy some sheets of Birch in. Building 4x 1850 your gonna shed some tears and spill some blood - so you might as well make it count!

If you are skint then, just go for it.

But you will regret it if you are just being tight! If you are asking something tells me you could dig deeper...
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 11:01pm
If you can afford PD1850's then im sure you can afford some quality ply, im one to talk because once i started running outta money i bought some cheap ply and now the sides of my cabs are falling apart....
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 11:01pm
plus you cant get a good paint finish. i'd build one maybe and see what you thing then if u like build 4 more in top notch stuff....
Kr3 DSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kr3 DSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 11:46pm
you would probably have to brace the hell out of them too - 
Kr3

Destiny Sound System.uk

kr3dss@googlemail.com
 Post Reply Post Reply