Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oberton 18XB1600 + Foundation Scoop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Audio_Stash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oberton 18XB1600 + Foundation Scoop
    Posted: 22 March 2015 at 2:13pm
I received an Oberton 18XB1600 from Andy Kos over at Blue Aran for testing, Hearing good things about these drivers I immediately put it in a scoop. Below are my results.

First of all I played these drivers side by side a Foundation scoop with the standard Fane 18XB drivers with approx 650w going in to each box. This was indoors, and under those conditions I think the Fane come out on top, delivering a higher SPL, and hitting some of the low notes better. However it was a very close call, your average ear would not hear a difference in the 2.

The next day I got the Oberton loaded scoop outdoors, for a more thorough test.
This time I fed the scoop with 2000w from a bridged amp on a 13a plug. Results we're much more promising. 
These drivers really do need there rated 1600w AES power just to get them out of bed. 
With a bigger power supply I feel these drivers are capable of so much more.

I didn't get long before getting complaints, But in the time I did have I gained some knowledge.
The cone is well controlled, sound pressure is high, Xmax is good, and the notes it was lacking at low power come to life.

In conclusion these are a fantastic driver and work well in this scoop design...
However, as mentioned before you need lots of juice to bring them to life. Without this power they are disappointing.

Now I cant speak for other people, but only the occasional gig I play has 32a+ power supply, no sound limits and a nice landlord. So, if you have all of the above listed things at every gig you play, this is a fantastic box/driver combo.

If like me you often run from a 13a supply in small venues that are always telling you to turn it down, the drivers will be under powered and results will be disappointing. For this situation the Fane preforms better, and keeps costs down.

Any questions please ask and I'll try my best to answer

I've attached some pictures below. (sorry they are so large)

Cheers, Joe.

nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 9:06am
I keep getting this dilemma. I wonder what actual spl you would be gaining with four of these driven properly over the Fanes? The XB is now getting towards the cost of a Void V1000, but as you say all these big uns seems to need juice, where as I can drive my 99db 600 fanes 2 a side off an 8001.

Anybody out there do the math please?
It's everything, not everythink!
PISSHEAD View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PISSHEAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 9:29am
What setup did you use to test the speakers Audio Stash?...LMS /Reggae Pre Amp any eq added?
The 'drunken master' strikes again.
Audio_Stash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio_Stash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 11:02am
Straight through an LMS run clean. no EQ no preamps nothing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio_Stash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

I keep getting this dilemma. I wonder what actual spl you would be gaining with four of these driven properly over the Fanes? The XB is now getting towards the cost of a Void V1000, but as you say all these big uns seems to need juice, where as I can drive my 99db 600 fanes 2 a side off an 8001.

Anybody out there do the math please?

Well the obvious thing is that your gaining an extra 2400w of power handling per 4 cabs, and the Oberton has the xmax to deal with it.

I would still like to test a Void V18 in this scoop. 
The Void lacks power handling and xmax compared to the Oberton, but is £55 cheaper.
It sits pretty much half way between the Fane and the Oberton.

Sadly I have no means of measuring response on a computer, only my ears. But in my opinion that's what really matters.

Honestly, I'm seriously considering replacing the Fane with Oberton in my personal scoops at some point in the future. After hearing what they are capable of even from a 13a power supply on a 2000w bridged amp at 8ohm... I would be happy running 4 scoops with XB1600 in place of 6 scoops with the Fane.

Furthermore, I would like to take a box to some kind of scoop meeting and see how it weighs in against others such as A.S.S, Steve B, Mr Ultimate, Ligwa for example.

bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 6:11pm
out of the 3 driver listed in this thread, the specs tell me

v 1000 = 1000w rms = 1500w aes @ 97.7db sensitivity max output 127.7db

fane xb = 666w rms = 1000w aes @ 99db sensitivity max output 127.23db

18XB1600 = 1066w rms = 1600w aes @ 97.0db sensitivity max output 127.28db

so based on amp needed to power above 3 drivers and price of driver

the fane wins,

second is v1000

feel free to do the maths... the rms and aes figures mean nothing if the sensitivity is rubbish...

rms is about 1 third less than the aes rating,

aes is measurement of speaker over a short period, (under 2 hours)
rms is measurement of speaker over a prolonged period (normally 6 to 8 hours)

Edited by bee - 23 March 2015 at 6:13pm
https://www.elements-audio.com
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by bee bee wrote:

out of the 3 driver listed in this thread, the specs tell me

v 1000 = 1000w rms = 1500w aes @ 97.7db sensitivity max output 127.7db

fane xb = 666w rms = 1000w aes @ 99db sensitivity max output 127.23db

18XB1600 = 1066w rms = 1600w aes @ 97.0db sensitivity max output 127.28db

so based on amp needed to power above 3 drivers and price of driver

the fane wins,

second is v1000

feel free to do the maths... the rms and aes figures mean nothing if the sensitivity is rubbish...

rms is about 1 third less than the aes rating,

aes is measurement of speaker over a short period, (under 2 hours)
rms is measurement of speaker over a prolonged period (normally 6 to 8 hours)

And if you were building a front loaded top, i would give you a sigar. Your analysis is however completely bonkers in the sub region where the sensitivity does not really matter at all or even tell you what SPL it will produce. The Oberton has the highest Xmax with good BL. That is what will matter in a scoop, and thus i will not be surprised, even having not really read the specs, that the Oberton will vastly outperform the Fane when given enough power. The void may be close though.
The 18NXB1601, now that one i would love to own a few ofTongue
Best regards,
Teun.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 7:10pm
why does the sensitivity not matter, when playing sub notes 30hz to 80hz.....

the correlation between power (watts) and sensitivity matters, regardless of cabinet design...

too be honest two of the 3 drivers I listed are better for reflex than scoops....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio_Stash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 7:16pm
@Bee

Yes, But the Fane has 7.5mm of xmax with a higher sensitivity.
The Oberton has 12.5mm of xmax with a lower sensitivity making it more suitable for scoop bins
correct?

bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 7:19pm
no.... I would say the oberton listed would work better in a reflex same as the fane.

Sensitivity is very important for subwoofers. Not all frequencies are limited by xmax. In fact most of the bass frequencies for music are really limited by sensitivity rather than driver displacement. Higher sensitivity means more SPL and ultimately better performance especially for upper bass output. There are several standards for sensitivity. SPL at 2.83 volts or SPL at one watt. The SPL at one watt is the more appropriate number for a fixed amount of energy while 2.83 volts is the small single frequency response standard. Also sensitivity is a function of, in part, the driver’s cone area.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio_Stash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 7:26pm
We're taking about what would work best in a scoop...

At the end of the day scoops are played by roots sounds, and they take a damn good thrashing through preamps etc being run at their limit.
The Fane will blow long before the Oberton due to its smaller cone displacement.

nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Audio_Stash Audio_Stash wrote:

We're taking about what would work best in a scoop...

At the end of the day scoops are played by roots sounds, and they take a damn good thrashing through preamps etc being run at their limit.
The Fane will blow long before the Oberton due to its smaller cone displacement.

No no. I wanted to know for a mini scoop in a non Roots enviroment.
No pre-amp witchcraftWink
It's everything, not everythink!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>