Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oberton 18XB1600 + Foundation Scoop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio_Stash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 7:32pm
Maybe the Void is a happy medium,...
the oberton and fane are both very musical in a scoop, I hope the void will be the same
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 7:35pm
Thanks for the test Thumbs Up
It's everything, not everythink!
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Audio_Stash Audio_Stash wrote:

We're taking about what would work best in a scoop...

At the end of the day scoops are played by roots sounds, and they take a damn good thrashing through preamps etc being run at their limit.
The Fane will blow long before the Oberton due to its smaller cone displacement.

correct, but no big scoop sound would run let alone thrash 2 of the 3 drivers why.... the specs alone tell a story, they don't cut it....
as stated the the fane and the oberton are not scoop drivers.... do they work, all drivers will make a noise in x cab.

xmax has no effect on efficancy or max spl... I no cabs that will chew drivers up regardless of the xmax, and play better / louder / and more musical on smaller xmax drivers... Why well that's down to the design of the cab....

https://www.elements-audio.com
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Audio_Stash Audio_Stash wrote:

We're taking about what would work best in a scoop...

At the end of the day scoops are played by roots sounds, and they take a damn good thrashing through preamps etc being run at their limit.
The Fane will blow long before the Oberton due to its smaller cone displacement.

Is that the point of a good driver? Ability to be thrashed with preamp? Wouldnt it work with the fane too but with different preamp settings...
"what!?"
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 7:47pm
Audio stash no, my guess with out doing a destruction test, both will blow around the same spl, both drivers would be at there max xmax..... and the spl will be with in 0.07 of each other...

Don't look at the this driver takes x amount off watts more and x bigger xmax.... sensitivity of the driver plays a big part, both fall short in the ideal scoop driver department for me...

the v1000 and the pd186 will outperform both, and were not even talking about the big boy drivers for scoops...

Edited by bee - 23 March 2015 at 7:50pm
Audio_Stash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio_Stash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 7:51pm
Some guys say oberton is good in scoops you don't.... Its advertised to work in scoops. Having tested myself I can confirm, it definitely does.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio_Stash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 7:54pm
I'm not claiming its the best. But I am telling you it works, and works well.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 7:59pm
Sorry Bee, but here you are simply wrong. Generally speaking higher Xmax woofers will simply produce more. Sub 70Hz almost all subwoofers are excursion limited, guaranteed. Sim the Fane and the Oberton in the same design in Hornresp and use the Maximum SPL function. Input correct Xmax figures and maximum power handling and guaranteed you will find the Oberton vastly outperforms the Fane, probably by at least 3dB, which is actually quite a lot. 
Best regards,
Teun.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 7:59pm
if your happy great.... driver specs on the oberton are a little suspect and no polar plots, what are they hiding, why not plots.......

has any one benched an oberton..... would be interested to see plot....

bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Teunos Teunos wrote:

Sorry Bee, but here you are simply wrong. Generally speaking higher Xmax woofers will simply produce more. Sub 70Hz almost all subwoofers are excursion limited, guaranteed. Sim the Fane and the Oberton in the same design in Hornresp and use the Maximum SPL function. Input correct Xmax figures and maximum power handling and guaranteed you will find the Oberton vastly outperforms the Fane, probably by at least 3dB, which is actually quite a lot. 

I agree to a point with you Teunos, but not totally, there are too many things that effect how and when a driver hits xmax in a cab, and power is only one of them things. Chamber size throat size ect will effect one driver different to the next in same cab. So based on driver specs only, I would not use either in a scoop... even if the oberton did perform better comparing it to the fane is a waste of time, I would not use the fane in a scoop... totally wrong cabinet design for it. 

if I had a monetary budget of the oberton new rrp price,  I would buy second hand 1850.... and still have change for a beer in the pub...
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 8:27pm
both drivers hit there xmax with only 300 watts.....
the oberton hit xmax at 50hz 325 watts,
the fane hit xmax at 45hz 300 watts,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio_Stash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 9:16pm
Is that free air? I've had both drivers on a 650w amp channel and they barely move.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>