Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Offset Driver Folded Horn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARR_PG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Offset Driver Folded Horn
    Posted: 14 July 2019 at 6:34pm
Here is the schematic for a horn design in hornresp and modeled in Maya. 

Anyone help with driver placement? In an offset horn, hornresp uses the S1 - S2 as the throat chamber and should the driver be aligned with S2 centre with the start of the horn S3. Or Is the S1 representing the baffle for the driver and should be mounted before the throat of the S3 (Horn).

Below shows the driver placed before the Horn segment. However in the schematic the driver is in the centre between the end of S2 and S3.  When I move th driver inline. There seems to be problems folding as the angle changes between the segments and seems off placing the driver there. 

Any help please :)

ARR_PG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARR_PG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2019 at 6:37pm
Is this the correct alignment for mounting the driver?
Offset Driver Horn. 

DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2019 at 9:10pm
Either of the 2 options below will conform to what Hornresp expects - choose whichever one more closely matches what you can actually build.

ARR_PG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARR_PG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2019 at 2:58am
Thank you. Yes, the horn throat in an Offset Driver Horn starts at S3. 

I need to keep the width persistent in S1. 

Im not sure how to create a hybrid horn with a throat chamber that changes in width like in the punisher Horn Ciare 1200w plans. That is what I was trying to do. I changed it up and created a smaller box set up like the horn in the lower picture (in your reply).

Can I ask. Building a rectangle box bass horn - I export the Flare type to be Con but putting the data in to 3D shows curvature to the progression in area of the horn. Like a Exp type horn. I want the sections to grow linearly or in straight lines if that makes sense. To make it easier to build. 

Next to the driver. The S1-S3 space has a curved profile that doesn't line against the inner edge of the Box. Box edge is the black line. Don't know how to get around this. 

Edited by ARR_PG - 16 July 2019 at 3:24am
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2019 at 7:51am
Use Parabolic rather than Conical for your horn profile - it more closely matches the actual change in area vs length you get when building a rectangular box as yours (and so many others) are.
ARR_PG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARR_PG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2019 at 1:37pm
Thank you. Yes I read  in the help menu to use Parabolic for rectangle boxes. Only the preview in the Export window (schematic Diagram) looked off.  

Do you mean in the input parameter window too or just the Export/Horn Data Window. 

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. Ill try both anyway. It takes a lot of time to input the numbers into 3D space want to get it right the first time. :)

DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2019 at 3:41pm
Use Par in the input window to make sure you're modelling what you will actually build, and then use Par in the export to make sure you draw up what you've actually modelled ;-)
ARR_PG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARR_PG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2019 at 5:20pm
haha makes sense. Thanks, this will save me a lot of time. :)))
ARR_PG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARR_PG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2019 at 5:59pm
Problem is the Export Window only allows Con, Exp or Uni.

DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2019 at 11:02pm
Sorry, just rechecked instead of relying on rusty memories, in the Export either Con or Uni will do what you need for this type of horn.
Do keep Par on the input side though.
ARR_PG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARR_PG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2019 at 11:36pm
Awesome! Yeah Input as Par - Export as Con did it!
 Post Reply Post Reply