Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ohm BR system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ohm BR system
    Posted: 24 April 2019 at 6:25am
This is one of those “help me spend my money” topics. 

I’m after a new (second-hand) rig for mobile disco and am leaning towards a pair of Ohm BR12 with a pair of the BR18B single 18 band pass bins.

I was just hoping I could get some opinions. Is the BR range one of Ohm’s better ones? I’d like TRS218/TRS212 but it would be overkill for most of the gigs I do and I can’t fit it in the car! For mobile disco, does the system I’m proposing sound sensible? I do everything from 60 people in a social club to 300 people for a Christmas party. I do a lot of hotel weddings.

How does the BR range compare to Martin Blackline and Logic LS for instance? Unfortunately, my only real point of reference is the gear my mates use which is an older HK actor system and the ASS I had 7 years ago

Thanks all
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 6:39am
have you heard it? if so, did you like it?

There are 100's of "options" that will work, whether YOU like them or not is another matter. The next person will like a different solution...
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 6:57am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

have you heard it? if so, did you like it?

There are 100's of "options" that will work, whether YOU like them or not is another matter. The next person will like a different solution...

Good point, well made

I haven’t managed to have a listen yet - the tops are 200 miles away and the bins 150 in a different direction
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 8:57am
Ohms BR range has always lived in the shadows of TRS unfortunately which is a shame as it is very good in its own right and uses either the same or similar quality drivers to the TRS range----This can be a hidden bonus though as BR cabinets tend to go for a lot less money than TRS.
It is easily on par with Blackline or the Logic cabinets as long as it has its original drivers still fitted which will be B+C hf drivers on older boxes or BMS hf on the newer ones and all cabinets will be fitted with Ohms own Cast Chassis LF drivers---These do tend to get changed for cheaper drivers when the idiots blow them, so be careful and check what is inside---built in passive Xovers are pretty good as well in the full range boxes---All in all a very well UK made and sweet sounding cabinet from the Knutsford factory.
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 9:27am
Thank you 🙏 

BenW8C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenW8C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 11:57am
Good luck djgorey! I'll keep my eye out for Ohm after this thread as well, if they come by over here in the Netherlands they are usually really cheap:).
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 5:11pm
The BR12's are a nice sounding box, I'd be inclined to go looking for a TRS118 sub to go under them instead though.
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 5:16pm
Ok. That could work. What’s the reasoning behind it? does the reflex loading work better than BP for mobile disco?
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 10:57am
Well, I’ve sorted out my rig Smile

BR-12 tops with TRS-118’s underneath, driven by Matrix XT2000 and XT3000 through a Berry ultradrive. 

Can’t wait to get it set up and see what it can do!
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2019 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by djgorey djgorey wrote:

Well, I’ve sorted out my rig Smile

BR-12 tops with TRS-118’s underneath, driven by Matrix XT2000 and XT3000 through a Berry ultradrive. 

Can’t wait to get it set up and see what it can do!
That will sound nice. 
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2019 at 6:15pm
I hope so. I’ve been to see my flightcase bloke today and he’s sorting out the amp rack (and some others I need). Pick up the bins tomorrow and the tops are being shipped - I didn’t fancy a 9 hr drive and the associated petrol costs would be 3x the courier cost
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2019 at 10:14pm
That will be a very pleasant sounding rig. The XT2000 matches really well with the BR12's - we did an install using the same combo a handful of years back. Only upgrade in the future would perhaps be chopping the Berry in for an XTA DP226 or something. Nice! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>