Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ohm BR system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by darkstar darkstar wrote:

You are more likely to have damage with smaller amps though, as clipping is far more dangerous than over-feeding a clean signal.

This is the reason I'm getting the bigger amps. I agree with everything you've said. The reason for the bigger amps wasn't for more output, it was to make sure that the amps I have can comfortably run the speakers

Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

I was once involved in an install with OHM at a bar in Blackwood

I haven't done any gigs in any bars in Blackwood, but there's a couple of nice hotels there that I've played in and of course its big claim to fame is it's the hometown of the Manic Street Preachers.

From a music point of view, you can't talk about Newport without mentioning TJ's, which, when I win the lottery, I'm buying, refurbishing and booking The Who for the opening night
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 6:08pm

Quote Yeah, I’m in Newport.

I was once involved in an install with OHM at a bar in Blackwood

Can't remember which bar can you Kev? I ask as I've had a few residencies in Blackwood pubs over the years but none of them had any OHM, I did the Red Lion (before it got knocked down to build flats), that had Yamaha Speakers and QSC amps, then the Coed Duon (before it got turned into a Costa!), that had Wharfedale speakers and Matrix amps and then me and a mate did a bit in the Porters, we'd always stick our own kit in there. 
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by djgorey djgorey wrote:

I haven't done any gigs in any bars in Blackwood, but there's a couple of nice hotels there that I've played in and of course its big claim to fame is it's the hometown of the Manic Street Preachers.

From a music point of view, you can't talk about Newport without mentioning TJ's, which, when I win the lottery, I'm buying, refurbishing and booking The Who for the opening night

Maes manor? Brynmeadows? Done quite a few weddings at those two over the years. Oh, and give me a shout if you need a system for The Who. LOL
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 6:19pm
Those were the two I was thinking of 😊

I’ve always had nice gigs in Maes Manor. 

The rig for TJ’s was going to be ASS but Tony’s retired so I might take you up on that. I’ve got an engineer lined up - a guy I used to work with when I roadied for a function band. Of course, all this is dependent on winning the lottery. 
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:43pm
There’s been a couple of comments suggesting that the Ultradrive is a bit “low rent” for this system. I was wondering if anybody can suggest some others that would be better. I’ve read that the DBMark CP28 would be an upgrade and they can be had new for <£300. 

I haven’t even got the Behringer yet (I was out when the delivery guy called) so I can always just return it to Thomann for a refund.  I can’t afford £1,000’s but if an extra £100 or so would make a noticeable difference, then I would be willing to look at the possibility. 

kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 12:22am
It was 'Vanilla' in the high street, opposite Poundland and above Roberts Estate Agents. I think it lost its liquor license after the police found naughty things happening in there. Shame as it was quite a swanky fit-out.

Bass was TRS, tops were BR and amps were CFU. FOH mixer was soundcraft, DJ mixer Pioneer.

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 02 May 2019 at 12:25am
Kevin

North Staffordshire

dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 1:16am
Originally posted by djgorey djgorey wrote:

There’s been a couple of comments suggesting that the Ultradrive is a bit “low rent” for this system. I was wondering if anybody can suggest some others that would be better. I’ve read that the DBMark CP28 would be an upgrade and they can be had new for <£300. 

I haven’t even got the Behringer yet (I was out when the delivery guy called) so I can always just return it to Thomann for a refund.  I can’t afford £1,000’s but if an extra £100 or so would make a noticeable difference, then I would be willing to look at the possibility. 

There’s no point in upgrading the DCX unless you go for something like a 2nd hand XTA226 
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 1:28am
The DB Mark XCA is a noticieable upgrade on the DCX.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 9:23am

It was 'Vanilla' in the high street, opposite Poundland and above Roberts Estate Agents. I think it lost its liquor license after the police found naughty things happening in there. Shame as it was quite a swanky fit-out.

Bass was TRS, tops were BR and amps were CFU. FOH mixer was soundcraft, DJ mixer Pioneer.

I thought it might have been Vanilla, I never bothered going there as it had a bit of a 'rep', it didn't stay open long.
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 3:53pm
Well I’ve now received all the bits of my system and my amps and berry are with my flight case guy being racked.

Next update now will be when it’s all up and running (although if I manage to get it all in the car, I’ll definitely be showing off that!). Thanks for all your help everybody 
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 4:33pm
So it turns out that fitting it all in the car is proving trickier than I thought! Tried 3-4 different configurations and going to try a couple of other options tomorrow. 

The gear I’m getting in is:
Speakers
DJ booth in its bag
2 x flightcases with 2 scanners in each
1 x 5U amp-rack
Coffin with 2 cdj’s and a Mixer
Leads box (500x500x300mm)
4 gravity stands lighting stands
2 speaker stands

It’s the second bin that’s doing it, I can get everything if I only take one bin! Luckily, the places where a second bin will make a difference are open 24 hours a day and only 10 minutes from my lock-up so 2 trips is not out of the question!

Not given up yet, but any passengers are definitely going to have something on their lap, let’s hope it’s one of the lighter cases!
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 5:11pm
What about a roof rack? Stands would all be fine and the DJ booth. Even speakers if you invest in covers or a decent tarp.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>