Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

old EV MT4 designs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: old EV MT4 designs?
    Posted: 02 November 2006 at 5:59am
hey all....
Just curious if anyone had any designs for the old EV mt4 bass bins (4x18"), or the manifold loaded tops that went with them (4 x 1" i think)?
any help much appreciated
Cheers,
N

Edited by Strange Daze - 02 November 2006 at 8:58am
whitehousejamie View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitehousejamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 8:28am
Don't you mean EV MTL-4s?
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 8:58am
<laughs>...
yea...just checked...(sorry.....my bad)
EV-MT4b it is..........
so......anyone?
Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 11:21am
4 x 18"!!! my friend owns a crane hire business, JP Lifting Ltd. PM for his number.

Edited by Static Age - 02 November 2006 at 11:40am
dadaumpa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadaumpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 2:30pm
I' ll tell you my experience with them.

First met at Bad Neuheim in Germany at an EV Seminar with the venerable Don Davis. After the seminar there was a demo of the newly introduced system. The venue was a 500 people house in fan shaped architecture. with about 250 of them  and with fairly dead cinema style acoustic.
First track played was a cd production from the first THX sound logo of that time.

What the hell, sooooooooo loudddddddd

The system energized the theatre with astounding amount of acoustic power and very low distortion or listening fatigue. No buzz, cracks et cetera at all. Just good sound, as we all listened. Crest 01 Series were the amps.

Next I had the occasion to listen to UB 40 tour in large (about 30'000) people in very bad rooms.

I felt the system had very bad alignment somewhere because arrayability was poor, or maybe severe phase concern happened. Then, the room was surely the worst possibile, a kind of places we call "Palazzetti Sportivi", in those you really cannot play almost anything except, maybe, large simphonic repertoire. 

The processor used by EV at that time it a was a stupid analog crossover, despite the work of Siegfried Linkwitz on filters, (now arrays sound better also because of the processing power of digital units).

Surely it was the loudest single loudspeaker system I ever heard.

No had occasion to place my hand at the mixing console with them, nor to try to lift them up in the truck, but that loudspeaker (system) was something really new that changed something in the the industry.

Large system of MT 4 were used in vertical line array fashion arrangement, long before any specific line array enclosure appeared on the market, but in some places due to weight they've been installed on the ground or stage (dont do it).

The weight of the package was maybe it first and foremost drawback,  while the summing device invented by Cliff Henricksen was surely its most elegant feature.

Would be good to have a pair of these to impress friends at home.

Marcello Croce
Audio Reinforcement Concepts, Portofino, Italy

Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 6:51pm
Not sure how accurate this is...

Cheers
Graeme
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2006 at 11:44am
cheers guys...

My only knowledge of these comes from the Hacienda...
(I could be mistaken but i think they only had 2 a side...and THAT WAS PLENTY!!!!!).....

Im just sick of fooking about with smaller cabs (outside anyway)........
I want something i can litterally roll out the van and leave where it is to do it job...From what ive heard they need very little engineering or looking after. (im getting lazy..........or is that busy?)

Thanks for the plans by the way....Any ideas on the manifold loaded top box (MT4h is it........erm.....4 x 1", 4 x 2" 2 x 10"....or something to that effect....)

peace and thanks,
N
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2006 at 2:11pm
Wow!  Just saw a band this past weekend using 1 of these per side.  These looked rough but didn't sound too bad.  I was wondering what they were.
Jim
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2006 at 4:18am

I got a pic of a pair of them used at some disco or wedding. Will try find that pic in a minute, its somewhere on a disc.

_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2006 at 5:21am
"(MT4h is it........erm.....4 x 1", 4 x 2" 2 x 10"....or something to that effect....)"

Four each
DH3, 1-1/4" vc 1" throat mounted on a 2" exit quad manifold to the HP64 horn
DH2,       2" vc 1" throat mounted on a 2" exit quad manifold to the HP64 horn
DL10X 2-1/2" vc
djk
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2006 at 6:32am
I'm getting the impression the MTH4's are a little on the loud side and very f.ing heavy! "Wait a minute, I think I can fit another driver in here somewhere!"
Peter Moller View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2006 at 7:47am
Originally posted by Strange Daze Strange Daze wrote:

hey all....
Just curious if anyone had any designs for the old EV mt4 bass bins (4x18"), or the manifold loaded tops that went with them (4 x 1" i think)?
any help much appreciated
Cheers,
N

The plans for the MTH4 tops arent available online, but you really dont want to build these anyways, since you will need a forklift to move them... The box has the same footprint as the MTL4 but contains 12 (!) drivers..

It was a pretty good system at the time when tuned and powered properly...

/peter
real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>