Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

old EV MT4 designs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2006 at 4:18pm
Yes, the old Nexo systems delivered really good bass. They are still very popular among the techno folks (who know what they do). The SI2000 or the bigger TS2400 were good designs. With a little boost  around the lower cutoff of the 15" horn they could do pretty good on their own (if there are enough cabs) and the LS2000 is one of the few exceptions in the realm of 6th order bandpass designs (partly because of the active sensing controller, although I would have liked more like a 65Hz crossover freq). THAT was a pretty nice system.

Two way bass is anyway the way to go.
soundsystemdan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsystemdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2006 at 11:22am
Chris, what crazy ideas are you having now?
You're looking at band pass but don't want rumble. eh?

btw you'd have cried if you were with me last night, they were putting 1200W of amp on a 80w (eighty) 1" compression tweeter. and guess what, it sounded ace.
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2006 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by soundsystemdan soundsystemdan wrote:

btw you'd have cried if you were with me last night, they were putting 1200W of amp on a 80w (eighty) 1" compression tweeter. and guess what, it sounded ace.
That's quite usual and under normal conditions no problem. Big companies have usually the amp racks full with the same amplifier, like four LAB Gruppen fP6400, to drive the whole system. So if the HF driver needs to be actively crossed over, a 2300W @ 4 ohms channel will drive the HF...
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2006 at 5:17pm

That's quite usual. Big companies fill their amp racks with only one type of amps, like four LAB Gruppen fP6400 in one rack, plus controller and power distribution. If this rack shall drive a system with every way actively crossed over, the HF driver is on a 2300W @ 4 ohms channel....

Edited by JD01 - 16 November 2006 at 5:20pm
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2006 at 7:57am
Can anyone explain why, despite everything saying it shouldn't, the SI2000 bass bin plays up to 300hz and sounds good doing it?

Also, @dadumpa, do you know where to get recones or replacement driver for the mids?  Or of a driver that works instead and fits inside the rear chamber/cup?  The newer Audax drivers have a different magnet and chassis size and less sensitivity.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2006 at 11:06am
It's actually not THAT good from 180-300Hz, but human hearings masking effects and the controller do a good work there.... Letting the 7" doing a bit more SPL than it should (for linear operation) around the crossover frequency of  300Hz, pulling out some 'ripple' on the 15" horns, putting in some little ripple around 100-180Hz and it sounds pretty good...
chris_k View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 6:46pm
[QUOTE=Strange Daze]cheers guys...

My only knowledge of these comes from the Hacienda...
(I could be mistaken but i think they only had 2 a side...and THAT WAS PLENTY!!!!!).....

[/QUOTE]
 I remember goin to a few jungle nights at the Hac around '95. From memory there were more than 2 per side, at one night im sure they had them all across the front of the stage. Pos 6 boxes???? Nice bass!!!!
Mad night actually, bar got closed halfway through the night shutters down, security diddnt want to come past the metal detector. Moody but good night
The P.S.V in Hulme/Moss Side was much bassyer than the Hac ever was, never could tell what cabs they were using. Too busy watching my back!!!!! 
Ahhh the good old days
Chris

Edited by chris_k - 20 November 2006 at 6:47pm
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 2:12pm
aha!!!!
those really WERE the good old daze..... (laughs)....
In fact////im sure thats where some of Matt Monkey Puzzles camo netting came from. When the police busted someone threw a barrel of camo at the police from an upper window....Matt wandered by and scooped it up!!!
As for the PSV.......only went the once or twice.....im young already but theres other reasons my memory of those days is foggy ;-) (laughs)....
Yea thos.....i think the time i went it was Lysophobic or Kaotic sound systems...(could be wrong tho)....

MMmmm.....as for MT4s...you'll all be glad to hear ive decided to fook off the idea. Im gonna sell all my HDs and rebuild a load of doubles. I know this wont make the Jungle fanatics happy...but think im quite happy with HDs and trap shaped tops...

N
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 2:14pm

PS- @ Dan compression -

NO!!....it didnt sound good. That was the sound of your poor ears crumbling under the square waves.
1200w into 80w driver is just pure silly...and not how they were designed to operate.
(laughs).....U and your bastard tendencies to over power kit with that bastard Crest amp rack!!!! (I'll get you Gadget...ONE day.....nbwahahahahahhaa)
soundsystemdan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsystemdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Strange Daze Strange Daze wrote:

NO!!....it didnt sound good.
... you weren't there. I'm sure with that much headromm the waves were anything but square.
Originally posted by Strange Daze Strange Daze wrote:

that bastard Crest amp rack!!!!
jealous???

JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 5:22pm
No one said, that the amp really outputed the full power into the HF driver. But the headroom is quite useful for HF drivers.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2006 at 4:05am

you weren't there.
Im EVERYWHERE!!!!!

jealous???

mmm.........not really..............i like my C-Audio and Amcron and.....will clearly upgrade when i sell my HDs...
It wont be Crest amps i get tho...theyre owned by Peavy now (laughs)....
You were lucky with old bargains.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>