Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Old Fisher XP56S - Worth replacing the drivers?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Fisher XP56S - Worth replacing the drivers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel-loves-friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Fisher XP56S - Worth replacing the drivers?
    Posted: 08 June 2020 at 11:10pm
Hi all,

I've inherited a set of beautiful albeit very old, and not-too-amazing-sounding 2-way Fisher XP56S Speakers.

I'm considering replacing both drivers, in order to keep the beautiful enclosure, but improve the sound as much as possible - especially the bass.

I'd love to be able to reach as low as ~35Hz...

I'm a total newbie, so would have to learn a lot - especially daunted by the crossovers for the new drivers.

Do you think it's worth doing this?

Will I be able to reach my goal (without spending crazy amounts)?

Many Thanks!
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 11:27pm
It's slightly middle of the road 'sears' home speakers from the 70/80s, might just be best using them in the shed/garage for listening to the radio.

Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 11:36pm
If you like the look of this speakers but want more low end you starting with this cabinet is a not too good idea. it isn't well build and made of loose wood which will fall apart if used in anger.

but... building a simple two way enclosure is an easy task and very rewarding, especially designing your own crossovers is a fun thing to do with all these calculators which can be found online. 
getting the same vintage look is also fairly straightforward, a bit of decent wax after staining will do. 

On this forum you'll mostly find people in love with big rigs.. but an 8" with a horn can be used in home as well as for your garden party. might even be possible to reuse the speakerfoam of the fishers..
daniel-loves-friday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel-loves-friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 11:19am
Hi again,

thanks both for your feedback!

You have slightly discouraged me a little I suppose, but it makes total sense.

Maybe an idea (sentimental one at least) would be to create an enclosure which fits the characteristic original front pads of the XP56s, in order to replicate the old speakers..

Will definitely explore this further - quite intrigued to build my own speakers..

Any advice re parts, and perhaps where to get them?
I'm in the UK, and would ideally like to keep costs below £200 if at all possible... Pinch

Many thanks!
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 12:37pm
just googled them, I like the front grille
Kevin

North Staffordshire

imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by daniel-loves-friday daniel-loves-friday wrote:

I'm in the UK, and would ideally like to keep costs below £200 if at all possible... Pinch

Many thanks!

Blue Arran

Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by daniel-loves-friday daniel-loves-friday wrote:

Hi again,

thanks both for your feedback!

You have slightly discouraged me a little I suppose, but it makes total sense.

Maybe an idea (sentimental one at least) would be to create an enclosure which fits the characteristic original front pads of the XP56s, in order to replicate the old speakers..

Will definitely explore this further - quite intrigued to build my own speakers..

Many thanks!
Find some decent hi speakers for that price. Then use the fishers as a surround to hid the newer speakers. 
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2020 at 8:35am
Build your own!

The thing that makes vintage speakers look great is the cool fabric faces.  Fortunately its available by the meter for sensible money in loads of patterns.  

If you can't build your own buy some new second hand decent sounding ones and re-cover the grilles. If you're  feeling brave you could veneer them too. 
 Post Reply Post Reply