Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Speakers Dying?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker_Nub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Speakers Dying?
    Posted: 30 March 2018 at 9:50pm
Firstly... no hate im a complete noob here. :) . 

Secondly, I have an old pair of polk audio speakers and a Yamaha AX-596 amp. The setup is very old but I like the sound so kept them around. The other day whilst listening to music decently loudly for a few hours they start to smell like burning (which i assumed was the glue). The bass/woofers are working fine but the vocals are sounding awful. The only way to describe it is like when the aux isn't plugged the whole way in.

Opened them up and found melted glue and the padding behind the speaker was burnt. The component board also looked burnt as well. One of the components looked slightly black. 

Any ideas would be appreciated. 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2018 at 1:43pm
That sounds like the crossover overheating. Best to post some pictures.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Speaker_Nub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker_Nub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2018 at 6:01pm
How do you upload photos on here?? 
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2018 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Speaker_Nub Speaker_Nub wrote:

How do you upload photos on here?? 

Your have to use a photo hosting website then copy the link and post it here, i used to use photobucket but i think they charge now

Imgur and Flickr seem to goole as popular there might be better ones but ive not been using them recently

When you upload on a photo hosting website you get multiple links for diffrent applications i think some are just diffrent size photos so a large photo will be better so people can get a clearer picture of whats going on
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2018 at 7:51pm
You can just upload images directly.

Click the mini picture of a tree with the blue upload arrow, select the file and you're away. I'd suggest you resize it to a suitable screen resolution first.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

Click the mini picture of a tree with the blue upload arrow, select the file and you're away. I'd suggest you resize it to a suitable screen resolution first.

+1

I think that the images need to be less tham 1M to fit on here, but otherwise a simple process.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2018 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

+1

I think that the images need to be less tham 1M to fit on here, but otherwise a simple process.

I think the forum also applies a bunch of data compression (presumably to save drive space & bandwidth), so if the image needs good resolution it's still better to host offsite and link.

For ordinary cheep'n'cheerful stuff the onsite hosting is OK though.
 Post Reply Post Reply