Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

olde worlde disco dave console

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: olde worlde disco dave console
    Posted: 07 October 2022 at 6:29pm
Well - a mate has a FAL Ranger in his small house and its taking wau too much space.

Seems to be in fairly good visual/cosmetic condition ..... comes with a mystery pair of speakers (at a guess some cheapie no-name 12" + piezo boxes)

I'm told it kind of works - thats about the sum of the technical info I have on it :-)

Anyone have any interest in restoring or doing something with it ? Located in Hackney, London.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2022 at 12:58pm
No interest at all ? I thought there were a few folk restoring these (or converting em into coffee tables etc.) ...

Well - its in serious danger of heading skipwards ...
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2022 at 1:56pm
The skip is probably the best place for it---We bought a load of them for our stock for two shops when they first came out back in the 1970s and quickly realised that we had made a big mistake and after a period of not actually selling even one of them over a three month period, we sent them all back to FAL for a refund.
They had absolutely nothing going for them as the components used were just cheap and nasty---From the sliders plastic shafts that were even broken off in our shop demo models to the turntables which were a total joke and please do not get me started on the built in FAL power amps which would regularly go bang on powering on.
Sorry for all these negative points and if there were any positive things to mention then I would have but none available I am afraid.
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2022 at 3:37pm
Sad to say, I agree.

FAL (Futuristic Aids Ltd) was the rock bottom of MI gear and most of their stuff was horrible.

These days it would be described as "entry level" - which means "steer well clear and get something better because you'll want to upgrade after using it once".

I think the only person interested would be a collector of disco consoles, who might want it as an example of bottom-of-the-market equipment. But it's not worth anything.

Edited by madboffin - 24 October 2022 at 3:38pm
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2022 at 7:06pm
OK thanks for replies ...

Well I'm not going to have any involvment with it then :-) TBH I thought it was likely a pile of doo-doo, but figured it should be mentioned in here.
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 12:35am
Worth a few hundred quid on ebay.
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 5:00am
Well at least chuck it on there and see how it does… I’d be amazed if it got over £50 though. People don’t seem to be spending much at the moment, most promoters reps report ticket sales are down. When people have to choose between heating and food, entertainment and items like this take a back seat
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 10:11pm
You may have some luck with it in this group, some people collect these consoles, apply to join and I'll set you in (I'm a mod in the group)

Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
 Post Reply Post Reply