Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Omega pro 18 in turbo THL 828?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bassaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Omega pro 18 in turbo THL 828?
    Posted: 10 December 2010 at 11:53am
a club round these parts has had its dj's blow aup all 6 THL 828'
i knew there was somthing a miss with some of them so the club manager asked me to open them up and have a look.

turns out some of the cab have;
original Fane drivers
Original PD drivers in the newer ones

but some have eminence omega pros in them
now the instal company is saying you cant get the original drivers any more and they are the closest match!

opinions please from someone more experienced with these than me.

oh by the way the hatch's dont sit quite flush with the omegas in. hence where my susspicians first started

cheers
The only good system is a sound system.
bass traffic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass traffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2010 at 7:13pm
Well first of all if the hatches don't close with the omegas then you shouldn't use those.
The Fane drivers will be your cheaper option for replacement but they won't have the same xmax as PD so not as good for horn loading.
Which PD drivers are they?
Your best bet is probably to recone the Pd drivers and buy some more to match them.
Then, get a limiter like a Formula Sound AVC2 or a Drawmer (can't remember the model) and this will stop your djs from blowing them again.
Also check the frequency that you have on your eq and get rid of the very bottom end as this is just using up power and probably won't make any difference to the sound, also if your amps have hi pass filters then stick them on that way you are getting more power to the areas that you need it in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass traffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2010 at 7:14pm
Just noticed you are from the north east, which club is it? I live in newcastle.
Bassaddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bassaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2010 at 10:43am
riverside

aint my install aswell so at the moment weve got nothing to do with the system setup.
the main reason there blowing is they have a macrotech powering the turbos that is going into limit at -16db;

1: because it is on a 16a supply (as far as im aware they pull 29a full belt)
2: because i reckon they have the sensitivity set wrong on the XTA

I told the club from day one the turbos arnt going to last very long, im supprised they lasted this long to be honest!
Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2010 at 12:28pm
From experience of the sonic sounds ma828 ( Same cab) the fane xb's work very well in these boxes, i know peops say its not for horn loading but the xb's were in the cabs for over a year and took some real abuse. Was very very impressed. You do have to remove the heatsink off the fane to get them in!!

+ its bollox saying the drivers aren't available, turbo will supply them or recomend an alternative it would not be an omega if you cant even get the hatch on

Edited by Djdarch - 13 December 2010 at 12:38pm
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2010 at 2:04pm
These are in dublin, are expensive, and i don't know if they're the right ones.. but someone may be interested.. maybe he'd ship.. no idea who it is.
Calculus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calculus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2010 at 3:58pm
@ Bassaddict Do you run a rig in town then?
Always a compromise, You can't have everything...

Where would you put it all.
Calculus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calculus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2010 at 4:01pm
oh and i;d guess that the celestion ftr would maybe be a good driver for these but, fane or pd get my vote.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass traffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2010 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Calculus Calculus wrote:

@ Bassaddict Do you run a rig in town then?
Yeah I'm just over the road at Stein, I have my rig in the back room there. You should pop over, got loads of dnb and dubstep on this sat.
Can't believe the people running the cotton factory night that lasted 2 weeks tried to claim it was a 26,000 watt sound system in there! LMFAO!

edit:
Just realised you said bassaddict when i thought you said bass traffic, must learn to wake up quicker!

Edited by bass traffic - 13 December 2010 at 4:28pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass traffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2010 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Bassaddict Bassaddict wrote:

riverside

they have a macrotech powering the turbos that is going into limit at -16db;

1: because it is on a 16a supply (as far as im aware they pull 29a full belt)
Definitely nowhere near enough amp power and not enough electricity. Especially since 3 subs parallel will be 1.33ohms and likely blow most amps.
You'd be surprised at how little power speakers pull compared to what they should I'm running my rig off a 16A supply and it's fine now the manager has stopped turning on his kettle and heater at the same time on the same circuit!
Calculus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calculus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2010 at 10:57pm
Yeah man I know you... I was asking him...

Bassaddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bassaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2010 at 1:40pm
You know me aswell calculus.
Bought a bose 302 from you years ago.

i spend most of my time tweaking designs and not pushing them as a system.
havnt got time to do my own gigs at the moment as i work for a hire company.

oh and just checked with turbosound and the replacement PD drivers are £750 EACH!!! RIP!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>