Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One Love Festival

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One Love Festival
    Posted: 03 September 2019 at 9:32pm
Now it would be easy to complain (yet again) about the amount of no-shows from advertised artists or the complete lack of organisation but actually, this was more about the Council's noise police!

The guy set his mic up about 4m from the Instrument of Jah's stack and it was forever having to be turned down. Perhaps if they had split them then it would have been better but this year, it was one complete stack. Totally ruined the vibe, if you go to somewhere called the Dub Shack, you want it to be earthquake and thunder; like fracking has come to Kent!

What are the rules around this, I didn't see him check the levels of the Main Stage and can't imagine the same restraints were placed on Glastonbury when the Killers played their set? They placed large bales of hay around the back of the tents to stop the bass travelling in the direction of the ONE house in the area. Just seems a nonsense to me, total H&S madness.

Having said all that, was surprised at how good King Yellowman was and Macka B delivered as always. The less said about some of the other things the better.
No, I really don't know what I'm doing...
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 10:16pm
Maybe the festival needs to employ someone to manage noise and keep to the councils noise levels etc
Rich99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Digbethdave Digbethdave wrote:

Maybe the festival needs to employ someone to manage noise and keep to the councils noise levels etc

Not sure you've been to a One Love event, that level of organisation would never happen.

I was more interested in what the guidance/policy/law is around such events and why it is monitored in such an arbitrary manner. If the speakers are in a tent does it have separate noise restraints compared to the Main Stage 200m away?
Spanners5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanners5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 11:50pm
doesn't make sense does it, went sat. seemed to me to be an issue of the time too...... soon as 11 or may have been 11.30 arrived... shut down main stage... even if the headliners had finished their set or not! thats not on. its a festival which people pay to be there, so shouldn't db reading be a bit closer to the boundaries!!!!!!!       too much free thinking happening in one place. they don't like it. come in and turn it down. worst thing is we all let it happen. happened to a few things i've been too recently and really ruins the event.         some great music happening and enjoyed my time but crazy days we are living in. 
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2019 at 2:05am
Originally posted by Rich99 Rich99 wrote:

What are the rules around this, I didn't see him check the levels of the Main Stage and can't imagine the same restraints were placed on Glastonbury when the Killers played their set

Erm, thats probably not the best example to use, glastonbury is probably one of the most heavily noise regulated places on the planet. There has been endless controversy regarding sound levels on the main stage. Just ask Tony Andrew's for his take on the matter - overzealous misinterpretation there probably cost fk1 a place as a big boy festival system provider

The same goes for pretty much every other festival. The main difference is more to do with the competence of the festival organisers and the competence of the local authority's measurement team. If both sides were competent there should have been a level agreed in advance,, possibly eq  compromises too, and the sound man should have been measuring and monitoring his own levels through the gig
LOUDER THAN LOUD
Rich99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2019 at 7:38am
Thanks for that, not a Glastonbury kind of guy so good to be put straight.

Just so frustrating when you go somewhere and, whilst it obviously was louder than my home rig, when you have 150 people in a tent absorbing the noise, the opposite end of the tent becomes pretty quiet in comparison.

I think the IoJ soundman used the word vexed to describe it.

As for the Main Stage, I kind of get that, the licence was clearly only to 11pm but on top of Eek A Mouse not turning up, Misty in Roots who stepped up to headline, played about five songs before they got pulled. I'm sure it is due to the organisers not paying enough for a decent set up as the sound checks run for ages. Last year Alborosie must have been trying to get a decent sound for about an hour!
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2019 at 8:28am
Was there a noise management team?

Just having a guy walking around site in a hi viz with a meter doesn't really cut it.

www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Rich99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2019 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

Was there a noise management team?

Just having a guy walking around site in a hi viz with a meter doesn't really cut it.

A bloke (had his son with him by the looks of it) standing over a mic and a tablet. Kind of fitting for the rest of the festival if I'm honest. Not sure it'll be on next year as can't see how it could have broken even sadly.
 Post Reply Post Reply