Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

opinion about DIY 2x12"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el_dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: opinion about DIY 2x12"
    Posted: 27 August 2015 at 10:41pm
trying to model a 2x12" enclousure.

any recommandations, errors ?

any comments appreciated.
Regards
Daniel
Old twat, with an interest in light & sound

all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2015 at 10:50pm
The box W driver??

There are already some nice 2x12 designs out there which have been measured and proven.
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
el_dj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el_dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2015 at 11:21pm
yes .. but looking to learn how to make an enclosure.

btw.. what are does designs that have been measured and proven ?

PavelP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PavelP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2015 at 12:38am
It's ok, el_dj. As for me port is too big. Normal port length for this tuning frequency and volume is about 25cm with smaller port area. You could try both on prototype.

Edited by PavelP - 28 August 2015 at 1:07am
el_dj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el_dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2015 at 11:06am
Thanks for the input PavelP

i tried something else... but vent mach vent fast up in the red.
but i am getting more lower frequency ?
i also believe that you should not tune lower than FS ??

regards
Daniel

DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2015 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by el_dj el_dj wrote:

trying to model a 2x12" enclousure.

any recommandations, errors ?

any comments appreciated.
Regards
Daniel

If you're planning on using it with subs, you may not need it to be that big, or tuned so low.
If you are using it without subs, you'll probably run out of excursion way before thermal power handling.
You'll need to correct your driver file before you check that as you've put the relevant dimensions in the wrong units - Xmax should be 6mm (or 0.006m), Sd 510cm^2 & dia would be closer to 25.5cm, as it's the effective moving diameter that counts, not the chassis size for modelling.
HTH,
David
PavelP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PavelP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2015 at 9:11pm
Look it's very easy. Changing port parameters you can make response the same in the same box volume: if you shorten it -- make it's area smaller to reach same response. That's all. Your first graph looks as it have to be. It's very good for 2x12 to work 40hz -3db, you don't need it lower course of relatively small excursion. In my opinion sub designed to work 1 per side have to have flat response in 1/2P.
I don't know this program. Have you tried BassBox6?
el_dj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el_dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2015 at 1:36pm
WinISD Beta

http://www.linearteam.dk/?pageid=winisd

Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2015 at 7:35pm
If you donĀ“t want this to be a subwoofer, I see no big reason to go 2x12" these days. Mighty powerfull single 12" with powerfull 1,4" driver (possibly the same one as the one for 2x12") will do that, and for the bass, go with dedicated subwoofer. It will ease your life for not so much more money. Cheapo 15" standing on the ground with cheapo amp will beat 2x12" solution any day, and those speakers will be all relatively small and mobile.
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
 Post Reply Post Reply