Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

optimum wattage in subs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: optimum wattage in subs
    Posted: 27 March 2015 at 1:22pm
Looking at speaker mechanical and physical properties, can there be an optimum power in terms of levels of distortion say in subs, 600 watts per 18 driver seems to be preferred by some makers.

If you take a 1000 watts peak driver with say one spider and a 4 inch voice coil this will have much less mass compared to one with a larger voice coil and additional spiders... stiffer mech movement and a say 2.5k rating.

I say this as it seems that using multiples of 1000 watt drivers compared to say a driver with 2.5 k rating and a much larger xmax would have a far less amount of distortion given that the higher rated driver would have both more mass to be controlled and more potential for the coil being outside of the magnetic gap. just my take on it
Top banana
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 2:44pm
i dont really get the question sorry.
less power = less distortion

so as many subs as possible for a given SPL will have the lowest distortion.

70,s hero View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 4:00pm
Yes...the cone is controlled by the A/C current within the field and excessive movement which is distortion , (that outside of the signal that the amp is producing) is damped by both the enclosure and the amplifier.

Whilst a higher power amplifier would have a higher damping in terms of voltage, it would be dealing with a higher mass with stiffer suspension and so on a high power say 2kw speaker...IMO, distortion would be higher than say 4 of 500 watt speakers with a comparable air displacement in terms of SPL

There must be an optimum wattage and cone mass/ xmax/xmech that produces a significantly less amount of distortion than high power sub drivers.
Top banana
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 4:04pm
a shed load of drivers in push pull/iso barrack on an ifinite baffle?

..im not gonna even begin to correct where i went wrong, just point out i have.

Edited by mini-mad - 27 March 2015 at 4:05pm
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 4:46pm

You really need to use your own judgement if you are not willing to destroy a woofer to find out the answer. There are numerous measuring tools that will enable you to estimate the distortion versus power of a particular loudspeaker.

From my experience, feeding an 18-inch woofer 600-800 watts has always been ideal for maximum output before mechanical and or thermal breakdown under long-term conditions. By 600 – 800 watts, I mean literally feeding the woofer 600-800 watts playing music material.

I also don’t mean adding a HPF which will reduce the workload to the woofer when asked to amplify very low frequencies. Such methods (HPF) will offer more power handling at the expense of low frequency extension.

Of course, once you add two, four, eight and/or sixteen 18-inch woofers to the equation, each loudspeaker will attain less wattage due to the coupling affect. All the woofers working together as a team and, generate more SPL than one operating singularly. So wattage needed to attain a certain amount of SPL is reduced, xmax is reduced while, attaining more SPL is greater.

As the variability comes into play, making your own judgement is the deciding factor based on what you have in terms of quantity in woofers in addition to amplifiers at your disposal to create an all things created equal scenario. Even manufactures offer an estimate on their power handling. This is why some manufactures offer dB loss figures based on power compression coming into play at the given wattage.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 27 March 2015 at 4:52pm
Elliot Thompson
70,s hero View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 5:37pm
I thought that would make sense,its seems from what I can deduct after listening that very high power drivers may be louder but the quality of sound reproduction is reduced in terms of linearity and that distortion is quite high. My aim is to have a high a SPL as possible, but sounding as clear as possible although our perception of loudness is closely linked to distortion.

IMO sound quality is more important than high SPL, btw , I disable HPF although manufacturers recommend it engaged.

I noticed that driving my 18's with 2.5 k was not a detectable increase in SPL over driving them with 800w  
Top banana
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 7:46pm

What you experienced is power compression coming into play. Moving from 800 watts to 2500 watts offers a near +5 dB gain. So you should hear a significant difference unless something is limiting the output. That limitation is the loudspeaker’s inability to offer more volume moving from 800 watts to 2500 watts.

There are plenty of users that are not paying attention to the power compression loss listed on some manufactures specifications sheet. They main concern is the wattage rating that’s that.

Some Loudspeaker Manufactures expect the customer to use High Pass Filtering and capitalise on that by, escalating the wattage rating. If you explore what type of frequency bandwidth manufactures use to estimate the wattage rating, you will understand why some manufactures endorse using a HPF.

The majority of pro audio loudspeaker manufactures will tell you the type of signal in addition to bandwidth used which, led to the wattage figure located on the loudspeaker’s specification sheet.

I recall when Beyma adopted the AES rating. Their entire loudspeaker range in terms of wattage increased all courtesy of the AES rating. So a Beyma 18 G550 that was once rated 750 watts pre-dating the AES rating is now 900 watts based on the AES rating. The differential in wattage is based on the HPF used in both ratings.    

If sound quality is the objective, you will need to use quantity to minimise distortion from not having enough loudspeakers being overdriven, while maintaining a High SPL from multiple speakers working together as a team.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 27 March 2015 at 7:49pm
Elliot Thompson
70,s hero View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 8:06pm
I am not sure if it may be something else that is effecting the SPL at 2.4k...the drivers are rated at 2.4 program and 4.8 peak , would power compression start straight away?

I have 4 no 18's in reflex cabs and about 10k rms available,what would you recommend,it may be that I am becoming a bass junkie
Top banana
+/-3dB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote +/-3dB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 8:29pm
Build PPSL box if you want to reduce distorsion.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

a shed load of drivers in push pull/iso barrack on an ifinite baffle?
..im not gonna even begin to correct where i went wrong, just point out i have.

Originally posted by +/-3dB +/-3dB wrote:

Build PPSL box if you want to reduce distorsion.

thats what i said..... kinda...

Edited by mini-mad - 27 March 2015 at 8:35pm
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 9:30pm

It is common for speakers to achieve 2 to 3 decibels of compression at their program rating. That may not sound like a lot. However, if a loudspeaker falls within 3 decibels of power compression at it’s program rating, it basically means even if you fed the driver 3 decibels less than it’s program rating, it will be just as loud as if you fed the driver its program rating wattage.

Of course, if the manufacture escalated the program ratings, the power compression can be even higher at the program rating. If the manufacture chose not to offer power compression figures then, it may be difficult to get the answer from the manufacture. There are only a few companies that are willing to post power compression figures on their woofers.

Best Regards,   

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 27 March 2015 at 9:32pm
Elliot Thompson
70,s hero View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 11:23pm
Dont think its power compression... are you talking about the r increasing in vc ? It cant be that as I would notice a 5db reduction. Perhaps I have got something wrong,will check it out.
Top banana
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>