Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Opus Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opus Audio
    Posted: 21 September 2019 at 8:21pm
Hi folkes,

I have been wanting to write this for a while now and hoping someone can help me. I'm just trying to find some general history and people with personal experience on this particular brand as it seems to be very elusive and not to mention very interesting (well to myself at least) and rare on the second hand market.

I would love to be educated on Opus Audio soooo...

What have ya got then guys?Wink Thanks in advanceSmile
Almost everyone is born a genius and buried an idiot.
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2019 at 9:48pm
Pm forum member Opus Jodey he will educate you in anything you want to know I’m sure. Personally I’ve only had good experiences with Opus myself, never owned any but I’ve listen to lots over the years. 
Jacxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2019 at 10:29pm
Thank you boots-hifi I'll do just that!

Edited by Jacxy - 21 September 2019 at 10:46pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2019 at 1:00am
Big, very heavy but essentially a very loud hi-fi!  Heard some really nice sounding Opus rigs but I wouldn't want to tour it!
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2019 at 8:19pm
giant hifi as said, but lots & lots & lots left going is very tired, cones lost all tightness etc (it was most popular a long time ago), so sorry to say i haven't heard any decent opus since Jodys rig in years. Not very efficient/loud for the size/weight compared to modern offerings either.

that being said, their MP12 wedge/midtop is one of my favourite reflex tops ever made!!
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 12:46am
HB215 is one of the best kick bins I've heard and the AT2000 mid-top is a monster.

I refurbed some HB121's quite a few years ago with monster P-Audio 21" drivers.  They shifted some serious air in stacks of 4.

Shame to hear a lot of what's out there currently doesn't match up to what it was originally capable of.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2019 at 3:27pm
I've really really liked everything of theirs I've ever heard. They have a robust design philosophy and don't make cheap bad-sounding things just to get sales. I would really recommend buying Opus if you have the chance :)
I wouldn't worry too much about the old drivers being "tired" - a) I'm not even sure that's a thing and b) They will happily sell you modern replacements or recones, if you feel like you need them.

Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Jacxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2019 at 3:36pm
Really grateful for all the input peeps. Finding it really interesting and also very valuable.

There does seem to be a prominent fact however that what's remains out there seems to be deteriorating. I remember seeing some monster 3 way mids up on eBay a couple years ago (unaware of model names) they looked insane but in extremely poor condition and yes, very heavy lol...LOL

Edit, I've heard that the amps are extremely heavy also.

Edited by Jacxy - 24 September 2019 at 3:37pm
Jacxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2019 at 4:30pm
Yes it was the AT2000 I mentioned in my previous comment, that's the one.
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2019 at 6:02pm
1) ‘what remains out there’ on the second hand market is likely to be pretty old boxes by now, so have lasted a long time which is a testament to the build quality.

Tired drivers is surely the responsibility of the user to get sorted?

2) there have been a fair few people replacing drivers in opus boxes with incorrect cheaper models, which can’t be helped unfortunately.
I’ve seen this plenty of times done to other brands; ASS, Shermann, fk1, d&b, etc.

Is it really a brands product if the internals are different?

3) opus do use neo stuff these days, so the boxes are lighter. Although the amps are still bloody heavy!

4) you can always buy new opus products if you want to hear their latest range. It’s still very good imo!

5) Jodie’s opus(ish) rig is an absolutely pleasure to listen to and mix on! Definitely a system you need to hear at least once if you are an audio nerd 🤓 

Edited by wires - 24 September 2019 at 6:03pm
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2019 at 7:01pm
Yes it is the owners responsibility, but alas its a lot of money for people to spend if they a) cant afford too, or b) dont realise.

and yes, drivers are moving parts, they do wear out over time. HF can go dull and lifeless, and drivers can lose their 'tightness', resulting in dull flat output compared to the factory output. It certainly is a thing!
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2019 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

Yes it is the owners responsibility, but alas its a lot of money for people to spend if they a) cant afford too, or b) dont realise.

and yes, drivers are moving parts, they do wear out over time. HF can go dull and lifeless, and drivers can lose their 'tightness', resulting in dull flat output compared to the factory output. It certainly is a thing!

A professional operation should recone their everything over a certain period, regardless. Five years realistically, at the outside.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>