Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Outdo B&C 21DS115 and upgrade to modular subs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2018 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Crashpc Crashpc wrote:

The speaker displacement always covers cone excursion. 
I meant maximum displacement available to driver from its Xmax. And maximum of excursion on simulation of cone excursion characteristics.
 In everything else we seem to agree.

Anyway those drivers have so strong motors their excursion is small:
So:

Edited by gen0me - 11 December 2018 at 10:15pm
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2018 at 1:16am

Elliot: 
Yes, one 21DS115 cannot keep up with horde of other drivers. That is established math. But that approach is a joke, as it loses on all aspects. Volume - much larger. Price - much larger. Efficiency - much lower. Again, I struggle to see how anything of it is any better. I can only get "up to" two pieces of Eminence Lab12 for one 21DS115 for the price. It has more motor force than two, hell three or four of these, more cone area, more displacement volume than two/three of these. Labs are a joke compared to this driver.

Two Double Twelve Bins (Eminence LAB 12) offer a displacement of 2610 cc Vd
One B&C offers a displacement of 2483 cc Vd

This is what you wrote:

Hey. Seems you guys missed I mentioned it can be more bins. Not just one.
I meant less than 180l for each box, not 180l for the whole system.
I was thinking IPAL too, but it is still big and heavy. I need something I can move around, troll with multisub solution for my room, be safe if one driver dies on me suddenly, and so on.
That´s also why I´m also looking at multisub solution. When I do some smaller gigs, one sub is too risky to work with.
Now there are plenty of subs able to go flat down to 25Hz, but if I would grab first thing on sight, like few pieces of 15" Ultimax drivers, it wouldn´t be efficient, cheap enough, small enough system. I would like to keep multiple aspects good.
Like Price and efficiency, but not volume. Volume and price, but not efficiency. I´m afraid Ultimax is neither cheap, efficient or small... I´m aware I will have to pay more than what I payed for DS115. it´s a miraculous driver for what it is....

I offered multi-sub solution that fell within 180 Litres per unit, achieved 25 Hz and, offered more output in multiples than a single B&C 21 DS115 and, does not weigh a lot. That is what you requested based on your quote above.

If you want to talk about price, only someone who lives in Czech Republic will be able to determine the exchange rate of importing drivers. I live in the States. However, I do recall stating

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

I understand the issue of price. I would suggest finding twelve inch drivers very close to the Eminence LAB 12 TS Parameters within your vicinity.At least you have an idea what parameters will give you 25 Hertz in a 180 litre box.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 12 December 2018 at 1:23am
Elliot Thompson
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2018 at 8:27am
Elliot:
21DS115: Sd: 1680cm^2; Real Xmax 11mm, Real Vd 1848cm^3Usable Vd based on Xvar 2772cm^3.
I have used that speaker extensively, and it behaves very well at Xvar.
See that B&C shows greater Xmax (15mm) for smaller Real Xmax. It´s because they have different methods, and also distortion VS cone excursion is different between speakers. 

Eminence Lab12: Sd 506.7cm^2, Real Xmax 11,7mm, Real Vd 592,8cm^3; Usable Vd based on Xmax (so they say - I don´t mean it negatively here) 770,6cm^3.
Four speakers make Vd of 3082.4 cm^3

Therefore you´re right here.
Let me follow with sims:
One DS115 versus four labs.

DS115 gives 125db down to 26,5Hz, LABs go 125db down to 22Hz.
That is 4,5Hz difference. About adequate upgrade. I do not know If we account for speakers coupling, but the DS rules in the upper 30-40Hz range anyway. It looks like four pieces of LABs would about win those 4,5Hz. Okay, I take it.
BUT, two bins and four LABs in 360l box volume are 1600$, the 21DS115 in 180l was for $800, and does about keep up all the way down to 27Hz. Only gets wrecked in four-five Hz territory.
It does not feel like worthy upgrade to me. I need moar for the volume and money. I guess two pieces of 18DS115 would still win volume vise and price vise, compared to Labs, with 3300cm^3 of displacement volume. For under $1400 total.

I take your proposal, it has some merits. Thank you for that. Yet I am not totally pushed by time or money, so I will look around if there is another possibility with better value. Again, I think I really DO want too much from what is possible (to buy)...
gen0me: Yes. That´s the case here. Now Once one has cone excursion "to spare", there is no easier way than push it where needed (using EQ) and squeeze additional SPL from it. For example at, or under the bassreflex port tuning. Weaker driver with lesser Xmax cannot do that. So it will lose on both max SPL and range.
English is not my native language. It seems we have little misunderstanding between each other from time to time. And that is solved after longer discussion, but nobody gets back to re-agree once again what has been said.

Edited by Crashpc - 12 December 2018 at 8:28am
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2018 at 9:56am
Forget Lab12. BMS 12S330 is much more affordable, more powerful and more sensitive.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2018 at 10:21am
Are you only looking at reflex? You need to get into unconventional shape tapped horns if you want to go this low and use small cones.
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2018 at 11:29am
MarjanM: Thanks. I will look into that. It has smaller Xmax, but it is cheaper, and has more powerful motor. I´ll do some sims etc...

toastyghost: many other box types are allowed, except for BP.
I did some sims and it seems that some 8"-12"s could do the job in small THs.
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2018 at 11:35am
There are some DIY versions of the TH-Spud that would put you in the right ballpark.
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2018 at 12:24pm
I´ve played with tapped horns. Firstly with very, very "unusable" driver, then 8$ 6.5" driver, and it turned out quite well, and I might experiment some more. Handling of those horns is not best, due to its dimension, but it is still way better than 21DS115.
Here is the second try:

Go to 1:00 and further. It worked quite well for just quick brute assy with random components laying on the ground waiting to get trashed... I can only imagine that with good long-throw 8", it would be serious worker. In stack of 4-8, it should do... Only if it could have more cubical design.
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2018 at 12:30pm
Quote What should I do with the number then?
You want me to express a complicated frequency response with a single number?

If the average sensitivity is 1.5 dB lower, you'll have to compensate this with more Watts. 1.5 dB at these power levels translates to 500 - 1000 W more power, for the low Qes driver, to get the same SPLmax.

Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2018 at 12:57pm
mobiele eenheid: The description is rather up to you. I´m trying to follow and understand why you say this. From your current response, I cannot agree in general. Keep in mind, that this driver, giving for example 1.5db less output power doesn´t give it at the same input power as the high Q driver. It is more likely than not, that the driver is just underpowered (for example due to the higher impedance in that particular frequency) so if you EQ it up 1.5db, it will get to the same power as the high Q driver.
So no more power is pushed/drawn by the driver. I.E. that thesis you presented is not very valid.
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2018 at 2:57pm
Quote giving for example 1.5db less output power doesn´t give it at the same input power as the high Q driver
Not sure what you're trying to say here.

However I do feel I'm wasting time trying to explain something that I think will help you reach your goals and as my effort seems not appreciated, I will leave it at this.

Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2018 at 3:22pm
I´m saying that there is no reason why would the low Q driver need to get 1000W more than the high Q driver, when you attempt to level out the frequency response by 1.5db EQ as in your example.
The driver with less SPL output plays less because it gets less power, not because it doesn´t work as well and efficiently as high Q driver.

I believe I got your explanation right, it´s just that it is of no use for my case. Therefore we both waste our time....
Best regards.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>