Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PA amplifier for hi fi applications?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PA amplifier for hi fi applications?
    Posted: 24 May 2018 at 1:08pm
Hi everybody, i have klipsch rf 62 loudspeakers but i would like to upgrade them.
I was thinking about purchasing Cerwin vega xls 215's but unfortunately they are no longer in production.
Anyway i'm using a vintage technics su 8080 amplifier right now.
I've used Nad (2600, 218, 208) power amplifiers, rotel's and adcom's but they couldn't fill the 6,5 inch woofers properly. I believe that trying to feed xls 215's 15 inches woofers with those amplifiers would lead at even worse results.
So i was searching for a power amplifier that could do the job, without loosing finesse in highs and mids.

I was thinking about getting a Cerwin vega cv 5000 (out of stock unfortunately at the moment) or a
Thomann t amp proline 3000.
But i've never used an amp of that kind and i don't know what to expect.
I don't even know if those amps would work with a 230volts 15 amps source of power.
I listen to every kind of music, acoustic and classical included so yes, i care to listen to a violin or oboe solo without sounding harsh or metallic (cerwin vega xls 215's sounded awesome with clasical and acoustic music in my room with my technics su 8080...my klipsch rf 62 were very poor at best in comparison: their horns are compressed as hell, high frequencies are not there and the detail is zero.)
I would like to point out that i absolutely hate compression, and that i don't plan to use my rig for parties.

Is there anyone who knows how the cv 5000 and the proline 3000 would compare to nad's rotels or adcom's?
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 1:20pm
The usual answer would probably be MC2 amplifiers (no need for E series if it's not moving around though) and I really liked their performance when I had one (I had an MC450 for hifi). The current series like that are the S series. They also crop up second hand rebadged as Dynaudio and these tend to sell cheaper but are the same amps.

I use matrix XT800 on my hifi nowadays and it sounds pretty damn good.

There are lots of good amps out there that I haven't tried though.

Don't test the champignon sound
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 1:50pm
I've previously had JBL MPX1200 in my living room, driving custom hifi cabs, with 2x15" on sub.

Erm, neighbour complaints, bits of plaster dropping from ceiling, temporal paralysis, due to smoothness of response, from 20hz-20khz.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 4:14pm
Look out for old BSS EPC780 or EPC760 models. They are very, very nice for Hi-Fi. Usually go for about €400 if you can find one for sale.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Meat Meat wrote:

The usual answer would probably be MC2 amplifiers (no need for E series if it's not moving around though) and I really liked their performance when I had one (I had an MC450 for hifi). The current series like that are the S series. They also crop up second hand rebadged as Dynaudio and these tend to sell cheaper but are the same amps.

I use matrix XT800 on my hifi nowadays and it sounds pretty damn good.

There are lots of good amps out there that I haven't tried though.

I've tried an old Matrix STR 2000 on my Wharfedale Dovedales and I'm sure it sounded better than the Technics SU-V1X I normally use, the bass seemed tighter and more defined and the mids and highs crisper. Although I wonder if this was down to the Matrix having more 'oomph' than the Technics.
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 9:38pm
I owned a crest 9001 last year and was reading up about the other amps they made one i came accross that might suit you is a crest audio pro 4601 
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 11:05pm
What did you read about the 4601 that makes you think it's especially suitable for hifi?

I had one once and I found it to be absolutely heavenly for hifi, but I've run so few pro audio amps for hifi (and so little high end hifi in general) that I never worked out how exceptional it really was.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

What did you read about the 4601 that makes you think it's especially suitable for hifi?

I had one once and I found it to be absolutely heavenly for hifi, but I've run so few pro audio amps for hifi (and so little high end hifi in general) that I never worked out how exceptional it really was.

The 4601 is indeed a wonderful hi-fi amp.  Class AB bipolar output stage, solid PSU etc.  I also used to bi-amp my HiFi with a pair of 4801's.  The only reason I stopped is because my wife kept complaining about the draft from the fans on the other side of the room!

I changed from the Crests to a QSC CX404 which is 4x400W, from the same range as the THX certified cinema amps and I can confirm they do the job very nicely too.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 11:47pm
Come to think of it it may have been a 4801. I guess they're similar?
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 12:36am
The 4601 is pure AB whereas the 4801 has a class H tracking supply but otherwise they are very similar.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 1:27am
Meat  what are those dynaudio models called ?
I cant seem to figure it out.
scottylaroq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottylaroq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 7:01am
in practice the fan noise can drive me nuts, especially for very dynamic recordings.

In my bedroom i use a Bryston 5bST, that for all intents and purposes is very much a "pro" amplifier from yesteryear with passive cooling.

in my living room my sub is driven by a bridged QSC ex4000. the listening levels are high enough, and the program is such that i dont really notice the fan turning on or off.

but IME, yes, having a LARGE, class ab linear power supply solid state amplifier is really my cup of tea for listening use. its tricky to measure, as its hard to quantify what i really need to be measuring, but i definitely notice a difference between very good integrated amplifiers (ive had Yamaha, Technics, Pioneer, Harmon kardon, among others in my bedroom). The heavy 3u bryston walks all over them, as did EV q44 (but too much fan noise!). both of those have much more voltage swing on tap than the aformentioned receivers. not to mention PSUs that would make even the conservatively designed 70s receievers blush.

that said take this with a grain of salt, im not a fan of tubes, and that seems to be hifi heresy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>