Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

party tent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: party tent
    Posted: 04 December 2012 at 2:53pm
iv started a couple of posts now and i know this forum is mostly for speakers but im slowly working towards an 18th bithday party and want it to be the best i can for a moderate budget.

The gazeebo shold be around 4m x 8m (if i can) so want to put on a good light display.

DMX. yes i want in to be semi inteligent. im reading up and watching youtube for DMX basics and what can be done and whats needed. so, a mini starter shopping list.

controller.
2 scanners.
4 PAR cans.

the idea was to put my speaker stacks on the top corners (8m apart) and put two light stands behind them
with the scanners on and the 4 PARs in each corner firing upwards to light the ceiling to change the colour of the tent.... all hooked up via DMX. i want to be able to control all lights and create scenes for the whole night (6hours... ish).

questions.

what should i look for in a good scanner? (links.. i do love a good link)
PAR cans... LED?.. i want to be able to change colours. will a mini controlloer be best or a smei cheap DMX 2 USB and control it via a laptop?.... will this be enough for a good display of light?

any help is good help    this is very new to me but i pick things up real fast. and no, i havent played with any type of DMX yet. i dont want to buy cheap and chearful and then 6month later relise i need a better controllor and have to by twice. yes this is more or less a one off but it also means any part i have in the future will be alot more fun!!

cheers guys.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2012 at 4:05pm
would some thing like this be a good starting point?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/american_dj_revo_scan_led_bundle.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_par_56_alu_schwarz.htm

for lights... still looking at controllers as i have a spare laptop to run them if it would be better...

cheers guys
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2012 at 6:20pm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_par_56_b_4er_road_kit_mk1.htm

or maybe these as a set... as i want one for each corner.... its the scanners im not sure about or what to look for as i know that i can strobe all lights for some good club vibe...

im just trying to turn it into a mini club in a gazebo... 

would a smoke machine be point less?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2012 at 6:43pm
i don't know much about lights, i've a few random bits and pieces. but i will say that any lights you're interested in, look at videos on youtube to get an impression of what they'll do.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2012 at 6:54pm
i have been, only prob it they do it in a completely dark room with a light haze of smoke... so anything they show you looks amazing! lol

its the scanners im most worried about... i want to buy something that i can really control and go ape sh1t on... so one song they can be independant and the next.. perfect sync.. kinda pro lokking buy on a moderate budget. i want to blow the kids away with the whole night.......

wen she had her 8th birthday (alice in wonderland) people still take about it to day.
im playing one up-man-ship with myself.

thanks for the input though.

its the Xmas lights on the other thread in sync to music that has got me revved up
Audio_AL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio_AL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2012 at 6:57pm
Its a great starting point Id say. Im not familiar with those lights in particular but as long as they strobe/dim they should be fine. This are the ones I use... http://www.chauvetlighting.com/slim-par-56.html I got some 38's as well. I love them all and never leave for a gig without them. Strobing feature always get the crowd going.

As for the scanners I think its kind of a double edged sword. Please keep in mind this is just my observation, yours may be different. Mine work great if I have computer based software controlling them but If I have them run by a small/cheap lighting desk such as... http://www.chauvetlighting.com/obey-40.html they don't  look all that great IMO. Just too random and not synced with each other. These are the scanners I am specifically talking about... http://www.chauvetlighting.com/intimidator-scan-led-100.html

NOW, if you had them linked together in slave/master mode and let them run in sound active they probably wouldn't be that bad. Up to you...

I use a fog machine whenever possible. Without one you just see the light on the surface it is pointing at but with fog you also can see it in the air. Im sure the cheapest one you could find would cover your 4mx8m as long as it is enclosed.  Hope this helps
Make it loud!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2012 at 7:09pm
i have a small smoke machine i use for house parties so i know what you mean.

cheers for the links. i like 'em.

as for computer controlled... i know theres a few USB to DMX leads,but are they all the same? is it the software that "sets them free"?

thanks for your in put.

whats everyone else using for PAR cans in the UK?
JohnnyPyro View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyPyro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2012 at 11:19pm
avoid cheap LED scanners .. utter utter shite .. look for some used abstract vrx, martin mx4's , robe dj scan 150/160 .. with par cans its best to go see them in the flesh
Pyrotechnics... its not rocket science, well.... actually it is !! :o)