Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

party tent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 5:35pm
Can be handy for pre-programming but I use wysiwyg or capture on a second machine for viz. Magic Q runs great even on a dell mini 9. The biggest limiting factor we found is using the 4 dmx ports out of the maxi wing, on big festival rigs, suffers from slowing down, but if you come out of the computer via artnet it's fine. This isn't a limitation of the computer, more of sending 4 universes of data down one usb port
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 10:08pm
I use a single core Acer Revo mini PC to run mine, and no problems whatsoever.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 11:25pm
The Avolite Pearl 2000 wasn't even a pentium, it was a Motorola 68340 processor, the Hog 2 was IIRC less than 500 mhz processor, traditionally lighting control has been not very processor heavy. It's designed to run on linux, the big desks certainly are not massively high spec machines
funkyparrot View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2012 at 1:53pm
I know, compared to some of the lighting effects discussed here, what I'm suggesting can't match the brightness of current product, but what about a bit of retro?

And if that raises your curiousity level, there's lots more where that came from.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2012 at 1:55pm
... in that case i have a couple of netbooks i could load it on to and give it a whirl then....

nothing wrong with being a fanboy, your always enthusastic about your hardware. its the moment you start slating other hardware is wen it all goes tits up and all hell lets lose on 90+page threads lol

ok well being a geek i'll dig out one of my touch screens and hook it up. iv got pc hardware coming out my ears!!

£250 for a single moving head doesnt sound toooooo bad. do a bit of overtime at work and buy to of them maybe... not saying moneys no object but i do want it to go with a bang and EVERYONE love a moving head strapped to a speaker stack going nuts!
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2012 at 2:23pm

ok lads ive got an idea.... (love the italian job- great movie)

this is the way im seeing it in my head. nice big party tent and a smaller one off one side so theres room to let lose.

not to scale nor are the stacks facing the right way but the way its set up is wat im thinking.
four PARs one in each corner (hanging down facing the dance floor or on the floor lighting the walls and ceiling up?) to scanners/moving heads ontop of the stacks and then as i said earlier maybe a single white rope light running the whole way round the top (inside) on a DMX dimmer pack that i can use as a 360degree strobe! (and room lighting for the end of the night when i gotta clear this sh1t up lol)
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2012 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by funkyparrot funkyparrot wrote:

I know, compared to some of the lighting effects discussed here, what I'm suggesting can't match the brightness of current product, but what about a bit of retro?

And if that raises your curiousity level, there's lots more where that came from.

So an oil, two 3" cassettes and a slide with a spektraflash wheel? I'm a bit of an opti addict. I collect 100b's rather than 250's as I do a lot of recording gigs where fan noise would be an issue. Currently have 10x 100b's, 6x 250's and a pair of 575's. Always on the look out for more bits and pieces.

To keep it on track I'd not go with the pars in the corners pointing at the dance floor or you'd loose the dark spaces that beam lights work so well in. I know others will disagree with me but a couple of moon flowers in corners pointed at the dance floor with a bit of haze is quick, easy and effective. You can pick up a second hand pair of Abstract Twister 4's for less than £60. Don't saturate the place with light, darkness is your friend. Did many years of large warehouse raves with just 4 Goldenscans, 4 strobes, some solar 250's and a handful of pars for functional lighting (bars, stairwells, dim light on Dj)
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2012 at 7:04pm
nooooooo..... i think you have misunderstood.  i dont intend to use all the lights at the same time. the rope i think im gonna leave out for now too. i want lights i can chase around the room and be dimable. i dont want to just throw light at the dance floor. the scnners would one second then tthe PARs would chase round the room one at a time in a strobe effect. theres gonna be no effect thas just gonna be left on alll the time.

the reason for the PARs in each corner is their multi use i dont want to just use them as a wash i want their multi colour fast reaction seperate DMX addresses to be their versatile-ness. i use to qork as a roadie for a moblie dj years ago and he had two 4way dimmer packs and a few "effects on sticks" and i use to manually play with them all night (old skool inteli-lighting lol) and the effest of having the different colours on different channels and using flash buttons on the 4ways proved really effective. 

i refused to let him just press the sound to light button and it kept me amussed all night.

does that make sense? lol
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2012 at 7:55pm
If people think the rope lights are a bit tacky, and someone else likes the retro, how about some Arcline? Thinking about selling mine at the moment funnily enough...

Agree with James on the gobo flower suggestions. Twister 4 have great sound to light, and I pretty much started out again with Destroyers, and why I still have 6 of them (and Solars, just like everyone else says, think I bought a load of bits off funky parrot years ago actually)
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2012 at 8:07pm
Yep, it made sense, it's just I find most led wash fixtures to be too wide for that sort of thing. The link you posted had small cells, so was very effective. Plus with only 4 fixtures and a surround layout it's gonna be very much a set look, sure you can do odds and evens, flash rounds, lefts and rights in lots of colour options, but as led fixtures dont mix colours that well people are still looking at red, green and blue sources. Think in layers, what you have there are only two layers. Add a couple of cheap beam effects in the corners and you have another layer. If run off a desk you can control a pair of twister 4's, for instance if you had the heads doing sweeps in a blue gobo, a chase on the led pars in yellow, then a third layer of the twisters flashing in. I got the fact you wanted to op rather than just leave things on sound to light. Add a couple of strobes for a fourth layer, then maybe consider another specials layer. I'm a big fan of specials, something you might only use only once or a few times. I worked for a Dj who had a big track with a "Let there be light" sample, and I would rig a dozen wide theatre profile lamps around the venue at floor level, pointing in and across the floor and shuttered hard. When the tune dropped and the sample came in I would flood the floor with open white light, and with the right amount of low smoke the effect was one of being stood on a cloud. Only used it once a night, made that moment very special. Gave some people vertigo, often made people fall over. Took half an hour to throw out but oh so effective

Edited by James Tengo - 07 December 2012 at 8:15pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2012 at 8:12pm
Norty, we should talk arcline. Might be very interested at the right price, and would make it available if you ever wanted to borrow it back
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2012 at 8:12pm
i do love all help im getting, i really do, but i want to keep it all DMX (no sound to light) i believe using a select choise of lighting i can create some outstanding effects with some very simple patterns and switching between different effects. KISS.. im keeping it simple yet highly effective by having some choise lights and hours and hours creating complex sequences for 45 mins of light display i can then loop for 5-6 hours worth of lighting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>