Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passive Crossover Design

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2016 at 12:35am
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Something I think is very important is chosing drivers that have a response that extends either side of the crossover point.  Passive crossovers are a long way from being 'brick wall' and the crossover region where both drivers are affecting the response could be an octave or more wide.  In hi-fi world the rule of thumb is that each driver should have a flat, or at least smooth response at at least an octave past the desired crossover point.  This is one of the reasons that things like a 15" + 1" cab just doesn't work because the crossover point tends to be at the operational limit for each driver and doesn't allow for the overlap you get on the resulting acoustic crossover.

you can deal with the roll off of the drivers as long as you realise the slope is the sum of the driver and crossover response. to keep driver protection the over-all crossover will be higher order and the electrical part may have to be asymetrical. e.g third order LP and second order HP but combined with driver response giving 4th order for both.

the bigger problem with a 15"+1" is that the 15 becomes highly directional above about 600Hz. this makes the reflected sound of the lower vocal range sound very weak and un-natural. if you try and correct this with eq you make the on axis response worse.
DJ-Versatile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Versatile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 7:41pm
Hi guys,
Sorry for the late reply, been a mad weekend!
From reading all of the points made above and researching some more into it I have given up on the passive x/over idea.

Thank you Snowflake, odc04r and Andy Kos for keeping it real (tries hard to not do Ali-G impression LOL).

Now the application was for a compact sub 10" sub and 4 x 3" "full range" passive system. I initially used 2 amp channels and an LMS to get it to sound how I wanted and I was actually really impressed with the sound quality and output. The att for the top box was 6db and the x/over point sounded good around 200hz.

Now from everything that has been said and everything i have managed to research it looks like i'm going to have to make it an active system to keep it's user end simplicity and portability. 

Thank you all for your input so far, this is why I love this forum!

If you are the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room....
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 10:48pm
What sort of power do you plan to feed the 10" with? A passive would be possible, but you may well run into design compromises and especially to a budget.

You don't have to necessarily use inductors either. Just a cap would give a single order roll off if you can get a result you like using a 6dB crossover slope with your LMS. It's always the inductors that get pricy the quickest.

Another option is to biamp with chipamps, maybe a couple bridged for the sub and one each for the tops. This could be a compact enclosure and you could feed each one with an actively filtered signal which is just a few more opamps and components each. There are some shops on ebay where you could buy a kit for each chipamp module, couple of crossover boards, add a power supply module, put it all into an enclosure and you have a dedicated amp unit for all the cabs. I expect you could do it for <£100 but it depends how comfortable you are with a soldering iron really. Buying the modules ready assembled would make for a minimal effort job, all you have to do it set the amp gains and the crossover frequencies then and plug it all together.
DJ-Versatile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Versatile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2016 at 1:19am
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

What sort of power do you plan to feed the 10" with? A passive would be possible, but you may well run into design compromises and especially to a budget.

You don't have to necessarily use inductors either. Just a cap would give a single order roll off if you can get a result you like using a 6dB crossover slope with your LMS. It's always the inductors that get pricy the quickest.

Another option is to biamp with chipamps, maybe a couple bridged for the sub and one each for the tops. This could be a compact enclosure and you could feed each one with an actively filtered signal which is just a few more opamps and components each. There are some shops on ebay where you could buy a kit for each chipamp module, couple of crossover boards, add a power supply module, put it all into an enclosure and you have a dedicated amp unit for all the cabs. I expect you could do it for <£100 but it depends how comfortable you are with a soldering iron really. Buying the modules ready assembled would make for a minimal effort job, all you have to do it set the amp gains and the crossover frequencies then and plug it all together.

That sounds like a viable option I have not yet explored! I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron I'll 100% look into this
If you are the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room....
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2016 at 9:21am
Enjoy! You might need to upgrade a few of the components on the cheaper pre-assembled modules for a quick boost in performance but chip-amps themselves can give very good results if implemented well.

There are many threads on diyaudio. com discussing improvements to the cheaper modules you can get by replacing components etc.

There are also class D modules out there that you might want to try on the bass end.
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2016 at 12:43pm
For all trying to make their own crossovers I suggest you look at the JBL service web site. It shows all the JBL PA crossover designs for the last 40 years. It clearly shows the diff between HiFi crossovers vs PA crossovers. It clearly shows how many HF drivers need a much smaller cap than is called for in standard crossover charts or programs. This is to EQ out the mid bump in many drivers. On the woofers you find many of crossover coils larger than what is called for in standard charts. This helps roll off the peak many woofers have in the mids.  If you want to design your own crossovers study this site. Enter their designs into a program and you will see the EQ.    VECTORSONICS
SquirrelChew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquirrelChew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2016 at 3:40am
I just registered to this forum & you seem to be knowledgable so hopefully someone can answer this... I have an 8 ohm 3 way cabinet speaker w/ 3 (5 ohm) speakers inside that are blown all to crap. My question is that if I replace the 5 ohm speakers inside w/ 4 ohm speakers what will the resulting impedance be? I know that's probably not possible to answer be its something to do with the crossover but, since it magically turns 5ohm speakers into an 8 ohm cabinet what would it make 4 ohm speakers? Lol thank you for any & all advice!
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2016 at 8:24am
does it say that they're 5 ohms on them, or did you measure them with a meter and that's what they show?
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2016 at 10:19am
The impedence quoted on a speaker is a nominal figure. When you measure the impedence with a meter it is never what it says on the label. An 8 ohm speaker usually measures between 5 and 7 ohms. A 4 ohm speaker will usually measure between 2.5 to 3 ohms. Also the actual impedence of the driver varies with the frequency being played through it. An 8 ohm driver can be as high as 30 ohms on bass frequencies.

If you replace 8 ohm speakers with 4 ohm it will completely screw the crossover points and usually leaves large gaps in the frequency response.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
SquirrelChew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquirrelChew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2016 at 10:17pm
The speakers say they are 5 ohm each & they are showing 4.7-4.9 when tested. The 3 way cabinet as a whole is rated @ 8 ohms tho so I'm not sure what the crossover or wiring setup is doing in there lol but, the speakers I have to replace them with are 4ohm. My onkyo receiver can play 6-16 ohm so I'm completely guessing here but, I would imagine that replacing the 5ohm speakers with 4ohm speakers I should still be @ or near 6 ohm total for the cabinet as a whole?

Edited by SquirrelChew - 02 December 2016 at 10:19pm
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 12:16am
What you measure with a ohm meter is the coils resistance, not impedance.
4.7-4.9 ohm resistance is pretty normal for a 8 ohm impedance driver.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 11:30am
Originally posted by SquirrelChew SquirrelChew wrote:

The speakers say they are 5 ohm each & they are showing 4.7-4.9 when tested.

In what way do they say they are 5 ohms? label?

Ignore your multimeter reading - that is DC RESISTANCE and not IMPEDANCE.
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>