Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passive Crossover Design

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquirrelChew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 8:51pm
The back of the cabinet reads 8ohm on the label while the back of each speaker individually read 5ohm & yea when I put the multimeter on the speakers individually they were reading b/w 4.6-4.9 ohm. I thought that was how to test impedance according to a few videos that I watched on YouTube. 1st time trying to do anything besides just plug & play. I guess I'm just asking if each of the 3 speakers are saying they're 5 ohms & the cabinet total is 8 ohms... If I replace the 5 ohm speakers with 4 ohm speakers will the impedance still be between 6-8 ohms since it was 8 ohms already & they will only be 1 ohm difffence according to the ratting on the back of each speaker?
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2016 at 11:37am
The cabinet total depends on how the drivers are wired together. Do some research on series and parallel resistor connections and how it affects the total.

A DC measurement of resistance is performed at 0Hz, this resistance changes as you apply different frequencies to it whereupon it becomes known as an impedance. The DC obtained resistance is showing you it's minimum value and therefore a rough idea of the worst case for an amplifier (highest current demand)

If you want really detailed hep then start a new topic in the newbie section with a very clear diagram of how the drivers in your box are connected. Show all of the wiring. If there is a crossover then take photos and show any marking present on the components. Then you may get some proper help.
SquirrelChew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquirrelChew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2016 at 7:21pm
I was having trouble starting a new topic which is why I just replied to this page since it was a topic dealing with impedance. I had researched series, parallel, & series/parallel wiring for a few days b4 coming up with the idea to just exchange the 5 ohm speakers with 4 ohm speakers. Thank you for all of the comments & taking the time to try & help with the little info I had given.
BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 7:24am
hello ive recently brought some passive rcf visons 15/2" comparing them to my dynacord cp12-3 at moderate levels they seem dull..dynacords very detailed..well ther newer design and got lovly crossovers in so not surprized...wile a/b ing i got pisses off with the rcf and started to blast itvto make the bulb light up on the crossovers to see what they could take..never lite up..but after that blast out they became a lot clearer and more detailed..the smile was back 😊..so my question is..do some crossovers have to get warm /hot to start playing differant?..dynacords also passive but sound nice from the off...the rcfs are old lookin crossovers but dam did they go loud..that 2" was crisp..im used to active crossover but im getting into passives now...ie bass will always be active..ie mostec bass..

BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:04am
 RCF Vision PA152 crossover..ps change all that ichy wodding stuff ,.Thumbs Up

dynacord cp12-3 crossover

BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:10am

not he best but better Thumbs Up
BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:16am

quite inpressed for the money,..
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:46am
You might want to stop using photobucket. Re-host at imgur and edit the links back in :)
BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:58am
ok,,whats the reason mate?
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 11:02am
the pic dont show.. just a message from photobucket
Reverence Sound system

BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 11:13am
arr,,ok,.lol..will reload 
BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 11:24am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>