Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passive crossover question.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Passive crossover question.
    Posted: 22 October 2020 at 9:59pm
I bought some celestion drivers pre lockdown, they are from the old KR2  8" co-axial cabinets.

I bought an old complete cab so I could copy the crossover, but the original components are not the best quality ( air cored inductors built with 0.7mm wire, 50v NP caps).

If I build crossovers with components of the same value but better quality will I improve the performance. I've wound air cored  inductors with 1.1mm wire and bought 250v polypropylene caps.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2020 at 2:27pm
Yes that's a good idea. There will be a marginal improvement in sound quality especially at higher levels, as you've removed a possible source of distortion (the electrolytic caps) and insertion loss (the thin wire inductor). The main benefit will be longevity - those polypro caps will live a much much longer life than the electros. 
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2020 at 2:44pm
Thanks for that. It was originally supposed to be a lockdown project but of course other things came along.

All I have to do now is build 16 cabs and 16 crossovers!!!!!!!
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
 Post Reply Post Reply