Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

passive crossover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: passive crossover
    Posted: 10 February 2016 at 10:20am
Ok so this isn't PA its a hifi build but I haven't got the greatest idea on passive crossover builds.

Here's some info on my build specs.

6.5inch driver - B&C 6ndl38

Fountek Ribbon NeoPRO 5i ribbon tweeter.

Box dimensions 380 (h) 220 (w) 300 (d)

It's a rear ported design, Looking at having the 6.5inch tuned down to about 45hz with the box design. The ribbon will be crossing over at the recommended frequency of 1500hz with a 18db slope, and thats about as far as I've got, I don't have any real idea on the building of the crossover to achieve this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2016 at 9:18pm
There are some crossover calculators on the net, they should get you in the ball park. After that, it's a lot of measuring and tweaking.

Calculator, in German though...
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
godge View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2016 at 9:28pm
My main worry is that I don't want to ruin the ribbon tweeter accidentally but hopefully the calculator will put me in good stead. Been a while since I've done a build but looking forward to it again
Steve20131 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve20131 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2016 at 9:33pm
Use an old speaker to test first
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2016 at 9:39pm
I would use a 1.5Khz 18dB Butterworth design assuming a 7Ω impedance and you should be fine (for the ribbon).

The B&C will probably require a notch filter at 4.2Khz, in addition to the 1.5Khz crossover.

I don't think the 72hz Fs will like being tuned to 45hz very well.

djk
godge View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2016 at 10:30pm
How low do you reckon I would be able to achieve with port tuning etc
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2016 at 10:50pm
Crossover calc to get you in the right region:

http://www.speakerwizard.co.uk/1st-and-2nd-order-crossover-calculator-and-response-simulator/

plots frequency response too.

If you need help with any components drop me a PM

just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
godge View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2016 at 11:12pm
Cheers Andy I'll keep you in mind when looking for components. Already got the b&c drivers from you a while back
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2016 at 10:51am
Somebody needs to warn you that it is impossible to design a decent passive crossover without a lot of knowledge and experience. You will also need proper measuring equipment - otherwise you're working completely in the dark. If you're just going to mess about for fun, fair enough. But the idea that you can design a crossover using an online calculator is ridiculous.

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2016 at 11:27am
put a zobel on the woofer and an l-pad on the tweeter and you can assume fairly constant impedance to design the crossover. 4.5kHz is way above the tweeter resonance so you could cross a bit lower so the rising response of the woofer isn't such an issue. getting a notch filter right without measurement is tricky - unless the response is terrible you could just correct it with a bit of eq - most rooms and source material will need eq anyway.

stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2016 at 11:51am
This is a sure way of making £600 worth of drive units sound like garbage. Seriously - get a miniDSP and another power amp and go active.
godge View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2016 at 11:55am
I have though about going active the more I look into this, passive crossover seems like far too much work and research, but then it is also such a hassle having a separate dsp etc, ultimately I do want a nice sounding pair of bookshelf speakers that I can just run off my amp at home
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>