Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PC DJ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 5:19pm
Quote If you're going to get a laptop to auto-select and auto-beatmatch and all the rest then there is not much point in being a dj!

Not to derail the topic and start a flamewar but there is more to laptop DJing than this if you can be bothered. I don't do it myself, but perhaps check out the newest CD in the balance series (minimal house stuff) and its mixed on a laptop, but there is always 3 tracks going on at any one time and some interesting 'live' reworks of tunes.

Even just messing around with ableton the other day I was able to cut up and mess about with a few tracks in a way that would not be possible with CDs or vinyl.

So my conclusion is as long as DJs are pushing the envelope with laptop based DJing, I am quite happy with it. I agree with you if they are just going to beatmatch tune after tune though.

Some people said CD decks would never be as good as vinyl too or used by 'proper' DJs too a few years back but they've had to eat their words since,
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 6:08pm
^^ Yeah, I agree with that too and, of course, the same can be said re CDs where some DJs can be very creative whilst others just play DMC (and others) megamixes one after the other.

I'm happy to stand corrected! Smile
bwilbee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwilbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 8:59pm
I've still got my 1210's sat next to me and a lot of moneys worth of black wax behind me, there's nothing like finding that elusive record in a dusty shop or opening a fresh package of those new tunes and sticking them on.... Djing on a laptop is no where near as fun as beatmatching on 1210's and i still do when i'm at home....

Having said that...

I spend all my money on speakers and nights are becoming more and more stressful to run when your doing all the promotion + soundsystem. I really can't deal with the extra stress of carrying a bag of records and the pressure of having to beat match spot on. With ableton i know all my songs are gona be as tightly mixed as possible because i've done it before i even start, i can do so much more with the set, an intro designed for that set, remix tunes live on the fly, the set is never the same twice. I can play tunes i've been after for years for alot less than buying the records (if i could find them) would be + the ability to mix literally anything together.

I've got it now so i don't even look at the laptop screen, the controller is all i need.

Maybe i'm weird but i'd rather go and watch aphex twin hide under a table that watch Tiesto masturbate (metaphorically) on stage, for me its about the music.

The end result is what counts, the path you take is irrelevant.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 9:38pm
What about the crowd? The paying punter, Sharon & Rob. The DJ's, "Just playing DMC" may well be giving their paying public what they want, it's too techinical now, nobody f e e l s the crowd. All IMHO. Not trying to drag this debate up again so off to bed with me Horlicks..
It's everything, not everythink!
bwilbee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwilbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 10:16pm
Sharon and Rob don't get in any more. 

Sharon kept requesting trance and Rob keeps trying to kiss men.

yeah i've had my rant but personally i find i can follow the crowd better with a laptop set, if somethings not going down well within 4 bars i got something in that gets them going again. Each to their own.

nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 9:36am
Originally posted by bwilbee bwilbee wrote:

Sharon and Rob don't get in any more. 

Sharon kept requesting trance and Rob keeps trying to kiss men.

yeah i've had my rant but personally i find i can follow the crowd better with a laptop set, if somethings not going down well within 4 bars i got something in that gets them going again. Each to their own.

Good stuff then. I think you may be the exception to the rule. Check out how many pictures there are on this forum of empty dance floors/spaces with a big system and a laptop. Seriously, really glad that someone using modern kit actually has the balls to say, "Get's them going", rather than, "No requests", or "It's not what I play". Thumbs Up
 Back to me cave now.
It's everything, not everythink!
thoams87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thoams87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2009 at 4:43pm
After some more time I've decided on the BCD3000 controler (or getting a new hi-fi for the van), I'm not at the standard where I need put on a show for any crowd and since it just for bedroom practice I reckon its the best option. Compared to turntables, and this is using trakor with just a mouse, I've been having a lot more fun. I prefer having time to add effects or loops mid song than just concentrateing on good beatmatching, and I know this is all possible on decks to, its just not at my level plus it more expensive.
mrchay View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrchay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 12:42pm
you guys are all quite roots with your music..

you should see electric ballroom every friday night, dj's playing from what you would consider an absolutely miserable laptop / flightcased cd player setups, but responding to the crowd, jumping and dancing and putting on quite a show themselves

hell, one of the dj's bungs a tune on, then runs down from the booth to do some serious dancing with proper aggro backflips and wall jumps, then runs back up to mix in next tune..

it really is the music that counts.
rich, ind.st View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich, ind.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by bwilbee bwilbee wrote:

Maybe i'm weird but i'd rather go and watch aphex twin hide under a table that watch Tiesto masturbate (metaphorically) on stage, for me its about the music.

amen to that...
music is god
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 2:36pm
aphex had guys pulling faces with him last year as his show.
shadow1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 8:24pm
Me too thinks it's the music that counts. One friend of mine who's had sound system for years ( i'm talking about 16 scoops & the like) Technics turntables, you get my drift ? Now he uses a laptop & Mackie active speakers & he still gets good well paid bookings & most importantly he still rocks the crowd.
COZY PILLOW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COZY PILLOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 9:52pm

There is a program called ROXBOX and it is designed for Karoake hosting, It is a superb program and uses winamp and a plugin that can control the speed of CDG'S & MP3's without altering the pitch/key etc. Theres been some recent tests done on MP3's with a bit rate of 320 instead of I tunes 140 bit rates and they are reputedly better than CD or Vynal?

Also Citronic have brought out a 19" rack DJ mixer with Usb facility. If you are interested in any prices let me know. I can supply quite a lot of stuff at good prices. I am Vat registered etc.

CPWink

COZY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12