Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pc or Mac

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote super-hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pc or Mac
    Posted: 29 September 2009 at 10:42pm

Why do people say that Mac's are better for dj'ing.

I don't use a Mac and have had no problems with my pc doing audio and video.

Could someone point out the pro's and con's of owning a Mac for music.

Cheers.
I'm not an animal, I'm a human being.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 11:09pm
Macs are great to look at, prob is you are buying a slow PC for top dollar. OS X is great for mum to print her photos but the truth is anything a Mac can do a PC can do btter and that particularly includes running OS X.
The build quality is great but TBH so much audio kit requires PCs (Kramer, Extron, XTA, BSS) why would you want a tarty looking (more Nickable) computer that will end-up pretending to be a PC (bootcamp or parallels) when you could spend less on a real PC.

And if you aver need to connect to an active domain...... Don't even start me.....

Only advantage of a Mac is the total absence of anything like security, I had  someone "forget" their OS X login password the other day, 2mins and I had changed it, no tools, not messing simple process.....

:-)

jonminns View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonminns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 11:49pm
I use a 15" MBP latest generation and love it to bits. The truth is i didn't see the point in using a mac until i owned one. It's just such a nice machine to use, great display, backlit keys, excellent battery life, touchpad is superb, sound's excellent. If i needed to use windows for everything i'd buy a macbook and put windows on, it's genuinely that nice to use. Full of great features such as the 4 fingered gestures etc for moving the windows around, genius - couldn't live without it now on a laptop.

levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 12:08am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Macs are great to look at, prob is you are buying a slow PC for top dollar.

Here we go again...

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 10:05am
AS LEV SAYS, OH HERE WE GO AGAIN.....

Originally posted by jonminns jonminns wrote:

I use a 15" MBP latest generation and love it to bits. The truth is i didn't see the point in using a mac until i owned one. It's just such a nice machine to use, great display, backlit keys, excellent battery life, touchpad is superb, sound's excellent. If i needed to use windows for everything i'd buy a macbook and put windows on, it's genuinely that nice to use. Full of great features such as the 4 fingered gestures etc for moving the windows around, genius - couldn't live without it now on a laptop.

+1

I run windows as a partition on my macbook pro, and it runs better than any PC ive EVER used. And i run programs like autoCAD which tend to be pretty demanding. 
super-hero View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote super-hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 11:17am

I was thinking that if I was going to spend £1,500 on a laptop, surely I would be better spending my money on a really good pc, rather than a standard Mac.

Or am I missing something.
I'm not an animal, I'm a human being.
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 11:22am
Originally posted by super-hero super-hero wrote:

I was thinking that if I was going to spend £1,500 on a laptop, surely I would be better spending my money on a really good pc, rather than a standard Mac.

Or am I missing something.

well its all down to personal preference i guess 

for me i prefer OSX and the actual mac computers everytime, i only use windows when i have to. 
illusion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illusion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 12:48pm
While im a PC man myself - OS X is by far a much better operating system than windows.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 9:24pm
Got to admit that if I could afford it I'd get a Mac. The new (Intel processor) based Macs can run OSX, Windows, Linux so you get the best of all worlds. I currently use a Powerbook G4 (it's 5 or 6 years old and I still get 3+ hours use out of the battery) for all my 'net browsing, 'paperwork' and suchlike while my desktop PC is only used to play GTR2!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 10:07pm
Funnily enough, I'm a UNIX/Linux Developer, so you would think I hate all things related to Microsoft/Windows.

Fact of the matter is, PC is great for all the free software.

Especially Windows XPSP3, Microsoft Office and the expensive music apps. LOL
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 10:10pm
I've said it before and I'll say it again: MAC OWNERS RULE, ALL THE REST ARE FOOLS. I don't care if OS X isn't as good to geek out with and customise or program or whatever. It's UNIX, i trust it, it does what it does. I don't want to be constantly fiddling with settings and sorting out hardware and software conflicts, i just want the damn thing to work! Left PCs behind six years ago and I'm never going back. 
And the reason Macs cost more is cos they're built to a realistic standard. Apple don't mind selling you a machine that can last 10 years if cared for, unlike most PC manufacturers who want your machine to fail after 2 years so they can sell you another. I am surrounded by people who own PCs and can count the number of them with a fully working, reliable machine on the fingers of no hands! 
But amongst Mac using friends, the machines are either working perfectly, or have been dropped down a well or something similarly doomful. Some for nearly 7 years now - a mate has a perfect G3 iBook as a backup machine.
Yeah, i've got 2 t-shirts with a Mac colour wheel and the legend "thinking"......
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 10:37pm
[/QUOTE]

i only use windows when i have to. 
[/QUOTE]
Funny that never heard a PC user saying I have to run OS X!

Truth is day was Macs rocked, propierty hardware, no cheap chinese PCI card would plug in, the whole platform was fast and efficent.
Nowdays you have no viable internet browser, the web is .NET and that IAA is MS IE 7+, Safari can't display web pages properly and Firefox is a geeks pinic but not a patch on IE8.

I nearly bought a 15" MBP to run XP-SP3 but the lack of boimetric login (which means no boot time security) and the cost to FLOP ratio left me cold.

I had just had to spec a graphics workstation and no Mac came close to the power we wanted, the plan was bootcamp Win XP to run 3dsMAX and use OS X for Photoshop (designers seem to like this bit...) we have just ordered a SuperMicro twin Xeon Quad HT rig as Mac hardware is a gen behind (and more stable for it may I add) but the graphics card support is shocking and if you need real power they don't cut it.

Some people use 3 mobile and think it rocks, Vodafone customers just laugh, same with MAcs if you have no expextation of security, never want to use the web properly and don't mind your emails being monkey formated it is all good.

Oh yeah and no CAD or 3dVisuals..

AS I said, great for your Gran to plud her new digital camer into!!!

Big smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>