Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pd 615wg in Turbosound Floodlight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 8:47pm
hi guys, sorry never kept track of this thread, I swopped them over 2 years ago, and there still going strong. I never done a full rta reading vs original.  but to the ear they sounded tighter than the very warn old units. I done an a/b 2 boxes new 6" to 2 x old (left right stack) and the new sounded tighter, less loose to the older ones.  The advice I got from Paul was it was a direct replacement... and the same as the original turbo unit.. Ermm this differs to what pd are now saying.....
https://www.elements-audio.com
rubjel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubjel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 9:10pm
Hi Bee, thanks sharing. From your observations, I think it's safe to say that the 615WG is a good replacement for the LS6503, even if its not exactly the same.
Were the old units faulty when you say they were loose?
montarbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montarbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 9:11pm
Meanwhile I tried the PD615WG/2 in my Floodlights by myself too.
The Information from PD is correct. The Cone is more shallow, so if you think about a sectional drawing, the distance between Phaseplug and Cone is increasing faster from the inside out of the cone.

I also did some A/B testing to the old LS6503. It's some time ago but there was not much difference.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by montarbo montarbo wrote:

Meanwhile I tried the PD615WG/2 in my Floodlights by myself too.
The Information from PD is correct. The Cone is more shallow, so if you think about a sectional drawing, the distance between Phaseplug and Cone is increasing faster from the inside out of the cone.

I also did some A/B testing to the old LS6503. It's some time ago but there was not much difference.

Montarbo, this is correct re cone being more shallow, but is cone movment an issue, in one way yes, but another no. in the frequency range the 6" plays even at full power, the cone only moves about 1 to 2mm max, and this even at 2mm still clears the phase bung...

I have a blown one (original hear) ill double check.

The ones in said floors all worked, they were just well used, and sounded loose (in tone) no way near as tight as they should of sounded. I also swopped out the fane comps for the bms screw on ones. These actually sound better than the fanes.. I think this was the same mod done by formidable audio
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 10:32pm
I should add I sold all 8 floods last year, and the current owners blew the 4 cabs we left as standard. (I had planned to upgrade the 6" and comps in these). the modded ones are still going strong. So the pd 6" has lasted many many gigs with no issues regarding cone rub...
rubjel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubjel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 11:11pm
Excellent info, thanks! I also just recently swapped to the BMS 4540, a very nice upgrade over the EV DH3.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 11:21pm
The last turbo I had with a duff mid, I offered up a 615 I had in stock, ouf of curiosity, and decided the cone was too close to the waveguide for my comfort. I'd have been happier fitting a small gasket to bring it back a few mm if one existed...and if it were my own cabinet rather than a clients. The old one got reconed instead.
Like Bee said, the cones hardly move in any case, but I made my decision!

PS, had a Mackie SR1530 cab in last week with the closed=back mid replaced by an open backed eminence (not by me). To make it closed-back, it had an ice-cream tub glued to its rear. Sounded just the same as it's unmolested partner in a listening test!

In fact, if anything, the mids were smoother, almost creamier....

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 15 August 2017 at 11:26pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 11:57pm
lol... I shim would be a good idea, a standard washer should do it. for a tad extra clearance.
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 6:40am
Originally posted by Risc_Terilia Risc_Terilia wrote:

This vs Beyma 605Nd in a mid high horn?

Can't see this as a option. The Floodlights phase plug bolts through the driver and the 605ND doesn't even have a hole in the dust cap and magnet for the threaded rod to go through.
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 6:51am
Originally posted by rubjel rubjel wrote:

Excellent info, thanks! I also just recently swapped to the BMS 4540, a very nice upgrade over the EV DH3.

Since the DH3 only plays from 8khz and up I find it hard to believe that one can tell a big difference. If you try muting all other passbands and only let the 1" play in the Floods it's obvious that they aren't really doing much. Maybe it's just my chosen gain structure that makes it like this.

In a stack of 2x tsw-718 with floods on top I usually run +3db sub , lo-mid 0db, hi-mid -3db, hi -2db.

Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Hvedstrup Hvedstrup wrote:

Originally posted by Risc_Terilia Risc_Terilia wrote:

This vs Beyma 605Nd in a mid high horn?

Can't see this as a option. The Floodlights phase plug bolts through the driver and the 605ND doesn't even have a hole in the dust cap and magnet for the threaded rod to go through.

Yeah talking generally, not for floods.  Incidentally the "dust cap" on the 605Nd actually is a sort of small phase plug which does attach to the magnet.  
rubjel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubjel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Hvedstrup Hvedstrup wrote:

Originally posted by rubjel rubjel wrote:

Since the DH3 only plays from 8khz and up I find it hard to believe that one can tell a big difference. If you try muting all other passbands and only let the 1" play in the Floods it's obvious that they aren't really doing much. Maybe it's just my chosen gain structure that makes it like this.

In a stack of 2x tsw-718 with floods on top I usually run +3db sub , lo-mid 0db, hi-mid -3db, hi -2db.

The difference is very obvious if you do it the other way, muting only the BMS, the sound is very dull. The BMS is an excellent driver, much smoother and nicer than the DH3.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>