Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pd 615wg in Turbosound Floodlight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 12:20pm
The BMS are REALLY NICE! -Use them in my tms-2s
The new version 6,5" kit from formidable audio looks very interesting, yet I got no information abouit it, but perhaps it's possible to order from PD?
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
rubjel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubjel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by tv00 tv00 wrote:

The new version 6,5" kit from formidable audio looks very interesting, yet I got no information abouit it, but perhaps it's possible to order from PD?

I also found this alleged custom 6.5" interesting, so I asked PD about this Formidable Audio/ Tony Andrews 6.5", they replied that Tony Andrews had nothing to do with any of their 6.5" units. 
Also sent a PM to Formidable on FB, but they didn't even bother to respond..
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 9:26am
Originally posted by rubjel rubjel wrote:

I also found this alleged custom 6.5" interesting, so I asked PD about this Formidable Audio/ Tony Andrews 6.5", they replied that Tony Andrews had nothing to do with any of their 6.5" units. 
Also sent a PM to Formidable on FB, but they didn't even bother to respond..

I'll but you that the alleged new and inproved 6,5" is just the PD615WG. 

Funny that Formidable writes this on their HP:

"All the 6.5-inch drivers have had an amazing makeover by Precision Devices with support from Turbosound co-founder Tony Andrews. Precision Devices, of course, was originally founded in 1987 to cover the loudspeaker manufacturing requirements of Turbosound."
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 10:14am
Funny if it's all lie about Tony=??
But n, it shouldn't be the PD615WG they're using, we've been over this before :-)
U can also see this in the picture on their website, I'm interested as I'm about to get a pile of blown floods, so if I fit BMS, new 6,5" kit, then the only back to original recone expense will be 12" and it might be worth the effort.

@Rubjel: I reached the same conclusion, they don't bother to answer, strange...

Edited by tv00 - 17 August 2017 at 10:16am
rubjel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubjel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 10:56am

Funny if it's all lie about Tony=??
But n, it shouldn't be the PD615WG they're using, we've been over this before :-)
U can also see this in the picture on their website, I'm interested as I'm about to get a pile of blown floods, so if I fit BMS, new 6,5" kit, then the only back to original recone expense will be 12" and it might be worth the effort.

@Rubjel: I reached the same conclusion, they don't bother to answer, strange...

Yes it seems very strange, and their reluctance to answer any questions about this 6.5" unit adds to my suspicion that Hvedstrup is probably right. They most likely used a standard 615WG.

I will probably just bite the bullet and order LS-6503, as this was built to spec for Turbo.
I did some nearfield gated measurements of my two LS-6503 (speakers only, removed from horn), and the response curve was definitely smoother than the frequency plot for 615WG on the PD website, even with no smoothing applied.

Hvedstrup; regarding gain settings, how much gain do your 3 amp channel pairs have? Would be interesting to try and reproduce this gain structure, is this tuning by ear or the Turbo recommended gain structure?
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 12:46pm
All my amps have 32db fixed gain with all pots turned all the way up (only way to do precise limiters).

This is a combination of SMAART measurement and ears. 

The turbo reccomended settings are relative to the amplifiers they used at that time and therefore not usable. 

Edited by Hvedstrup - 17 August 2017 at 12:48pm
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2017 at 1:00pm
PD said that they knew nothing about new kit, but I could not believe formidable was lying...

SO FINALLY I got some information on the mystery, this is what John Newsham wrote to me:

"I just spoke to Tony, he did organise a new recone for the 6.5" which uses a new type of paper,  he suggested I call the guy at PD  and find out if he can make more, if so I will connect you directly. PD didn't actually recone the drivers though, I think Tony did that with Brandon at Formidable.

John Newsham
Funktion One Research Limited"

I'll keep you posted, let me know if you want to be in on a batch of kits.

The Ironic thing is that the always helpful & sharing founders replies within minutes, whereas many has tried to contact formidable without ever getting any reply.
This makes me (& others) assume formidable are arrogant, not what the webpage signals though, but well I don't know them really...

RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 3:52am
Originally posted by bee bee wrote:

I also swopped out the fane comps for the bms screw on ones. These actually sound better than the fanes.. I think this was the same mod done by formidable audio

The Floods should have screw-on EV DH3s (CD-103s) in them, Bee? how were the Fane units attached?

----------------------

Its not really that surprising that PD are being tight lipped about it considering that MG/Funktion still hold IP over the cabinets and therefore the drivers...

Nor is it surprising that Formidable are unwilling to share information about the goings on within the 'Old Boys Club' with random strangers they've never heard of...

As it stands, the only people that would have the right to disclose anything about the Formidable refurb with regards to new 6.5" cones would be Tony or John being as its still their IP under license to Turbosound, no?
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 12:12pm
No RoadRunnersDust
PD are not being lipped, they were probably not knowing, not lying.
Formidable are surprising, this is not the style of the old boys to be arrogant like that!

John & Tony shares their information openly with me & us, here is the latest news for all:

"Ok they can make the 6.5 recone kits but they have no cones so would have to buy a minimum order of 100 -200.
So if you can get a group together to make a decent order they will go ahead.

Haha yes some strange ones indeed! :-)

John Newsham

RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 3:30pm

Tight lipped doesn’t mean lying. It means not being forthcoming with information
You can bet your ass PD know what it is they’re making when Tony orders a load of cones. In the manner of the professionals that they are, they are unlikely to divulge one of their oldest clients information to a random stranger however.

Formidable are surprising, this is not the style of the old boys to be arrogant like that!

It’s not arrogance. You are literally asking them to divulge information about something they and their good friends have business and sentimental interest in to random strangers. Some of whom have previous for vandalising Turbo cabinets (and you ARE dealing with the people who find what you do to Turbo cabinets abhorrent when dealing with the OBC)...

John & Tony shares their information openly

Again, the key and salient point there being ‘their information’. They’re the only ones with the right to disclose or withhold information about their designs or actions...
rubjel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubjel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2017 at 6:23pm

No RoadRunnersDust

John & Tony shares their information openly with me & us, here is the latest news for all:

"Ok they can make the 6.5 recone kits but they have no cones so would have to buy a minimum order of 100 -200.
So if you can get a group together to make a decent order they will go ahead.

Haha yes some strange ones indeed! :-)

John Newsham

Wow it would be fantastic if we can make this happen, I'm definitely interested! 
Count me in for the pre-order :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234