Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PD1850 vs Void Acoustics V18-1000 is it worthy???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PD1850 vs Void Acoustics V18-1000 is it worthy???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emperorfaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 9:01pm
Most cabs these days are sold empty so i don't think it matters too much as you would sale the drivers seperately.

I suppose it is a matter of resale value on the drivers plus the cost of recones.

i.e. For this example i am assuming 2 recone kits have been needed and a 60% resale value over a course of a year.

PD 1850s
Buy - 8 x £300 = £2400
Sale - 8 x £180 = £1440
Cost £960 + 2 recones at £300 = £1260 total

V18-1000
Buy 8 x £225 = £1800
Sale 8 x £135 = £1080
Cost £720 + 2 recones at £240 = £960 total

So over eight drivers the PDs have only cost an extra £37.50 each.

Obviously this is all theoretical, as if one of the drivers weren't as reliable/robust and needed an extra recone then it would obviously work out such a large difference one would be financially better than the other.

Edited by emperorfaith - 10 May 2011 at 9:05pm
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 9:49pm
personally some A-B hearing of PD vs void i prefer the PD
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
noiseboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noiseboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by tmg tmg wrote:

oh, and we had some very dodgy drivers from PD a while ago, I was reliably told this was a "bad batch" but they all had magnets slightly offset which caused several drivers to blow. And we had to rip them apart before realising it was a manufacturing fault, voiding our warranty.

Interesting I had some PD 153 er's fail on me a while ago. Also I thought the 153 had been taken out of production but I see they are available again.

Hope they've got the quality control up to scratch! cos I really like that particular driver for certain applications.
www.ctaudiovisual.co.uk
www.cornucopiafestival.co.uk
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 12:13am
Originally posted by adambomb adambomb wrote:

They are pretty much exactly the same application and sound wise - the void is just cheaper.

We have used PD1850 + V1000 loaded cabs next to each other many times and couldn't tell any real difference.

In what cabs were these in when you compared them?

**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
Kingifzechubby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingifzechubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 12:50am
9 years later and void is still going and supporting recipes for the v18-1000 

Edited by Kingifzechubby - 26 May 2020 at 12:50am
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Kingifzechubby Kingifzechubby wrote:

9 years later and void is still going and supporting recipes for the v18-1000 

This really was a stupid thread to start.

So many questions on SP, could be answered without wasting internet bandwidth, if  people just lineup a few cabs, and try the preposterous method, of playing music thru them.

Sometimes it's not about what people say is better, it's about what the individual prefers.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 3:09pm
Lets hear it... 9 years later.. Does the Void V18-1000 still keep up when it comes to FLH these days, with massive powerhandling and greater Xmax capabilities of modern drivers? 🙂
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2022 at 8:54pm
yeah this thread has aged beautifully lol
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2022 at 8:59pm
Most modern drivers need modern cabs. The old drivers tend to walk all ober the new due to people using boxess that arent suited to them. Need more box designers and not just builders
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

Lets hear it... 9 years later.. Does the Void V18-1000 still keep up when it comes to FLH these days, with massive powerhandling and greater Xmax capabilities of modern drivers? 🙂

Void was only worthy opponent to PD1850, many moons ago.

Now there are drivers, that easily outpace both, in Scoops and Folded horns, if the cabs can fit Neo driver, with deep magnet.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 1:05pm
Before Oberton knackered the 18XB1300, I had approx 12x of them.

Played naturally warmer, smoother,  in my cabs, than 1850 in ASS S118,  and could take enough power, to play deep notes louder than 1850 or Void in any Scoop.
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 1:32pm
Seen the price of v1000 now!? Been waiting for ages for blue Aran to stock voids again, rechecked their page this week and the price is now nearly 400 a pop Ouch 

Only issue I’ve ever had with oberton is rust but now that’s apparently fixed I’m going to go with some xb1500s as for my cabs I can’t find any driver that can beat the parameters that are provided for around that price point
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>